Game 51: Philadelphia Flyers at Winnipeg Jets; 1/28/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

WPG is the favorite (-225).  We've lost five straight on the road to them.

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-winnipeg-odds-january-28-2023-1705151

With the exception of faceoffs, WPG is superior in scoring, defense, etc.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-wpg/2023/01/28/2022020792

After back-to-back OT losses, it's hard to know if they will be dejected or energized.  

13 hours ago, Howie58 said:

After back-to-back OT losses, it's hard to know if they will be dejected or energized.  

The Flyers have battled hard to stay with some very good teams most nights. Or like the Jets last week they battled back after putting themselves in a big hole, made a game of it. Who knows...if Hart stands on his head anything's possible. But maybe don't spot them 3 goals this time...

• Like 1

Buffalo made Winnipeg look pretty average using their speed. That would be the way to beat them but I suspect we will bring more of a grinding slugfest to the game and they are comfortable with that and more skilled so I suspect they win a close low scoring affair with good goaltending both ways.

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Buffalo made Winnipeg look pretty average using their speed. That would be the way to beat them but I suspect we will bring more of a grinding slugfest to the game and they are comfortable with that and more skilled so I suspect they win a close low scoring affair with good goaltending both ways.

now if we could just find some speed 😏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Bellows, Cates, and Tippett. Youth. Happy for Bellows. He's worked hard.it cant be easy to start after that long. 

And now Tony D. This may be the best game of the season.

Wow didn't realize the list was so short...

...wow how time had flown seeing Steve Mason on there in 2014 holy crap where did that decade go.

Unreal it's been that long ago.

• Like 1

I didn't watch much of the 3rd.

The Flyers were better than the Jets for most of the 45 minutes I did watch.

I don't know if Wpg made a push in the 3rd that jacked their shot total,  I was surprised to see they put 40 on frame.

There are nights when this team doesn't look awful. This was one of them. Good win for the boys after a couple of dispiriting losses.

• Like 1

The "New Risto" has positive plus/minus and seems to have some offensive instincts aside from booming shots.  It looks like the staff has told him his office is within 20-30 feet of the net.  I hope this is a glimpse of the future. 

• Like 2

The "New Risto" has positive plus/minus and seems to have some offensive instincts aside from booming shots.  It looks like the staff has told him his office is within 20-30 feet of the net.  I hope this is a glimpse of the future. 

Hey Howie,

I remember back when the Risto trade was made. Of course there was a great gnashing of teeth from our denizens. I remember saying that when you look at the player's raw ability, skating, and demeanor I can see why coaches thought they could "fix" him.

Do you think Brad Shaw has unlocked Risto's level 3 ?

He has been pretty good for the last 2+ weeks. It's like Torts and Shaw are getting through. 

In a world where we have to keep him. If he's this version, I don't think his contract is a terrible overpay. That pass to Bellows was pretty.

His game in his own end has been simple and effective. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

It's the hope that kills you Howie

Dear Pods:

If you knew me better, there wouldn't be much concern.  I am not an optimist by nature.  But...when it comes to Risto...maybe some of his bad habits are being coached out, while new ones are being coached in.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Hey Howie,

I remember back when the Risto trade was made. Of course there was a great gnashing of teeth from our denizens. I remember saying that when you look at the player's raw ability, skating, and demeanor I can see why coaches thought they could "fix" him.

Do you think Brad Shaw has unlocked Risto's level 3 ?

He has been pretty good for the last 2+ weeks. It's like Torts and Shaw are getting through. 

In a world where we have to keep him. If he's this version, I don't think his contract is a terrible overpay. That pass to Bellows was pretty.

His game in his own end has been simple and effective. 

I agree with Mojo that we shouldn't be overoptimistic.  But the dude's play since the Holidays has been quite different.  Reprogramming a player after seven+ seasons with a lousy club may be tough.  I guess we keep fingers crossed and acknowledge he may be less overpaid if the new version persists. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Dear Pods:

If you knew me better, there wouldn't be much concern.  I am not an optimist by nature.  But...when it comes to Risto...maybe some of his bad habits are being coached out, while new ones are being coached in.  

Ok, good to know. Well, It's purely an evidentiary question then. And I think the evidence that Risto is dumb as a post far outweighs any evidence, including possibly recent evidence, that he is not.

• Haha 1

I agree with Mojo that we shouldn't be overoptimistic.  But the dude's play since the Holidays has been quite different.  Reprogramming a player after seven+ seasons with a lousy club may be tough.  I guess we keep fingers crossed and acknowledge he may be less overpaid if the new version persists. 

I have no idea if he’ll sustain it but the difference in Ristolainen’s game the past month or so is obvious. He actually looks like an NHL D-man instead of somebody constantly looking to make big hits. His hockey IQ is what it is that won’t change but at least now he’s playing the position he was hired to play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

at least now he’s playing the position he was hired to play. 

According to the GM who hired him, it's the big hits he was looking for.

Not, you know, actually playing defense...

It's almost like the GM doesn't know how to build a successful hockey team.

🤔

• Haha 2