Game 42: Washington Capitals at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/11/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings: 

The Flyers are underdogs (+125) and both teams are coming off shutouts.  Total goals predicted is 7.

https://www.docsports.com/free-picks/nhl-hockey/2023/washington-capitals-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-1-11-2023-nhl-picks-best-bets-odds.html

The power play and offense are the biggest differences between the two squads:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/wsh-vs-phi/2023/01/11/2022020659

Washington has played well over the last 10.  We've lost the first two so this year.  This is another benchmark game.  

Edited by Howie58

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 42: Washington Capitals at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/11/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

I'd call this workmanlike in a good way.  The team didn't cave when the Caps scored two in the third.  Hart was great in the first.  

The lack of posts is interesting.  Is it easier to grouse when the team sucks, or to acknowledge good play and hard work.  Yep, I suspect we are going to be around 8th in the draft. Call it the Torts Effect + some maturation. 

• Like 1

I tuned in with about 13:00 remaining in the 3rd, without sound, saw the 3-1 score, and Caps with the puck in their own end…WITH NO GOALIE.  I thought, y’mean they’re pulling the GK down 2 THIS early?!?   (LOL then a commercial and after that I realized I tuned in maybe 5 seconds after a delayed penalty call.  Me no crazy after all.)

Caps lose on that horrible PP giveaway and the shortie 2-on-1 to make it 4-1.

Just watched extended highlights. Notice how unsure Ovechkin was on the mid-2nd breakaway.  He doesn’t compare with Gretzky and Lemieux in that department.  

Caps not great lately and to my mind still about 50-50 to make playoffs.  And nobody wants 8th anyway if it means playing Boston.  So real goal is to be no worse than 7th.

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Caps lose on that horrible PP giveaway and the shortie 2-on-1 to make it 4-1.

Believe me Ivan tried to help you guys as best he could...

...with the trade whispers picking up he is taking a page from JVR and trying to prevent a trade....

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Believe me Ivan tried to help you guys as best he could...

...with the trade whispers picking up he is taking a page from JVR and trying to prevent a trade....

No clue what he was thinking there...just a terrible pass. 

And a nice goal in his own net on DeAngelo for the Caps 1st.

Yes, as you all point out, the Flyers still beat Washington despite their own poor play at times.  Caps recently lost at home to hardly-top-teams Buffalo and Nashville, so the returns of Wilson and Backstrom are not returning benefits.  Saturday rematch with Flyers in DC could be telling.

Crazy schedule-makers squished all four Caps-Flyers matchups into a narrow late-November to mid-January window.  Caps will be done playing Philly before they play the Islanders at all. I know it’s a tough chore, but do better, schedulers.

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Well, for better or worse, there is one positive this season. TK is playing out of his mind. Tortorella apparently found a way to maximize on his potential.

If there is a "Tortorella-type player" prototype, I would think Konecny is it.

• Like 1

Putting TK on the PK was a no brainer in my opinion, but how many coaches did we have that didn't even try him there? Two at least. I think in today's NHL you have to have players on the PK who can threaten on offense, on one of your units at least. 

• Like 1

Hottest team in the East, baby!

7-3 over the past 10 - only three teams were better at 7-2-1 and they're all playoff teams!

Moved ahead of Ottawa!

Seven points out! 40 games to play!

Anything can happen!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Putting TK on the PK was a no brainer in my opinion, but how many coaches did we have that didn't even try him there? Two at least. I think in today's NHL you have to have players on the PK who can threaten on offense, on one of your units at least. 

Konecney's game is aggressive, even when he's defending on the PK he is challenging the puck, I think TK on the PK has been a positive this season. plus it's fun to say and type.

Actually, I like the way this team has been playing for the last month and a half when I've watched. 

They could stand to suck a little more IMO, because Adam Fantilli or that Carlsson could be franchise changers too.

While I don't see the Flyers lucking into #1 they might scuffle into #2 or #3. Their win % is still bottom six so I'm not planning any parade but I do like how this group competes and won't quit.

It's a weird space to be in as a fan.

Edited by mojo1917

Look. They won't threaten to win the Cup this year.  Hell, they most likely won't even make the playoffs. On many nights, especially earlier in the season, this squad looked disoriented, lost, and, frankly, unwatchable. But you also have to like how this young group is developing. They know they have nothing to lose. Nobody expects them to do much this year. You have to like the development of Farabee, Noah Cates, Laughton, Owen Tippett.

TK is on pace to score 92 points this season (!). Right now, he is ahead in scoring of Stamkos, Panarin, Roope Hintz, Tavares, Brayden Point, Zibanejad, Brady Tkachuk, and Bo Horvat, to name a few. What I particularly like about his game this year is he creates his own chances, splitting evenly before goals and assists.  Imagine what he could do with a playmaking center... We could be possibly talking Pastrnak's production.

And they have a franchise goalie... finally.

Again, no parade on Broad Street this year, or in any near future. But I like how this team responded to this coach, and vice versa. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

41 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

It is quite funny how quiet it gets here when they keep winning and people don't have anything to complain about :)

Complaining makes some folks' heart's smile.

Like I said earlier, what is going on with this team creates a weird place to be as a fan. 

After watching Conor Bedard at the world juniors...damn, that kid was 5 clicks better than everyone else. A lot of those other kids were older than him too. Versus his peers he looks ZOMG! A#1 awesome.

Remembering the **** show at the beginning of the season it's easy to see where people would be like, why get good now?

Finally, Konecny looks like he's taking the step up with his production. Tippett has also shown out, Noah Cates looks like a fine middle six player, Joel Farabee looks like himself again.

There are a lot of good things happening...hell Ristolainen hasn't sucked balls for two weeks. All things I want to see, but...Conor Bedard man .

I appreciate the attempt to create a culture of competition and toughness, this team isn't mentally weak like so many of the teams from past seasons...it's a start, I hope the start of good things.

Like @Mad Dogsays it is easy to like how the team has responded to the coaching and the creation of a standard of play. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

But I like how this team responded to this coach, and vice versa. 

Kind of amazing what having someone outside the organization make a pick can do, eh?

Tortorella is so obviously a "Flyers" coach and also, obviously, not someone current leadership ever would have brought in.

It'll be interesting when the rubber meets the road in terms of roster choices in the offseason, but for the moment he is getting good results from what he has.

16 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

no parade on Broad Street this year, or in any near future

To your point, of their 7-3 run, they are 2-3 against teams in current playoff position and 4-9 since the start of November.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

It is quite funny how quiet it gets here when they keep winning and people don't have anything to complain about :)

It's quite funny that game threads this season have been averaging in the 20-30 posts range and this one is...

*checks notes*

No different. 🤔

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

It'll be interesting when the rubber meets the road in terms of roster choices in the offseason

Yes and at the TD too. Looks like Fletcher will still be GM and lord help us if the Flyers are still within shouting distance of a PO spot. Lots of “great” rentals will be available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes and at the TD too. Looks like Fletcher will still be GM and lord help us if the Flyers are still within shouting distance of a PO spot. Lots of “great” rentals will be available.

Do you want to write the press release about how the way the kids played this year, they deserve(d) a better shot at the playoffs, or should I?

• Haha 2