Game 5: Philadelphia Flyers at Nashville Predators: 10/22/22 @ 8 PM, NBCSP, ESPN+

Howie58

Flyers scored first and held the lead for 60 minutes. I can't remember the last time they did that.

My fav player scored a goal - and it was no fluke it was a good, hard-working, position goal.

Farabee came to life as we knew he would.

Hart was outstanding.

Seeler and Deslauries showed why fights can make a difference.

I love seeing the Flyers standing up for each other - the whole team is banging bodies around the crease, giving Hart space to track the puck. What a difference from last year.

Paging Mr. Clarke: the boys need help on face-offs. Bobby Clarke was one of the best ever. Even in this totally different era he should be able to teach them something.

• Good Post 3

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Simple question, and I know it's early, but what's behind Hart's good play? I mean, we all agree this lineup is worse than it was. It obviously needs help. The defense is lambasted on here ad nauseum, with non stop trade suggestions for pretty much all of them. So if the team is bad, the defense a joke, but the goalie is playing better....is it coaching?

It’s early but I think it has something to do with the system/expectations from Torts. The Flyers are defending as a 5 man unit so far this year and that fact has been mentioned by national broadcasters on ESPN and TNT. 

Although they’re still moments of keystone cops in their own zone, they haven’t had a complete meltdown and **** themselves. 

Will be interesting to see how D is once Risto returns :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

31 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Will be interesting to see how D is once Risto returns 

Well if Torts is true to his words if Risto comes back and displays what we saw last year his stay in the lineup can be short lived.

Myself I wouldn't mess with what is working now until it doesn't on the back end including in net.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Samifan said:

It’s early but I think it has something to do with the system/expectations from Torts. The Flyers are defending as a 5 man unit so far this year and that fact has been mentioned by national broadcasters on ESPN and TNT. 

Although they’re still moments of keystone cops in their own zone, they haven’t had a complete meltdown and **** themselves. 

Will be interesting to see how D is once Risto returns :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

I'll leave this here. Let it ride.

The last time the Flyers won four of their first five games was 2011-12.

:ToastingSmiley:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well if Torts is true to his words if Risto comes back and displays what we saw last year his stay in the lineup can be short lived.

Myself I wouldn't mess with what is working now until it doesn't on the back end including in net.

Interesting how much better Buffalo looks without Risto (yes, there are other reasons as well I know) and how much better Flyers D is as well. Risto's inability to stay in his lane and play disciplined hockey might be his undoing but MAYBE Torts can finally get through to him, harness his strengths and fit him into a role that works for him. One can hope. 

If he still can't play proper D maybe stick him on a wing and let him bang into people in their end :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Risto's inability to stay in his lane and play disciplined hockey might be his undoing

Oh yes. Like it or not they have structure now. That is how they are winning.

Let's be honest he got a lot out of the Jackets teams who didn't have much talent.

And one could argue now with all the injuries (Coots and Ellis) and now no Jake and Giroux well not very much skill left in the lineup.

I do think they have some untapped maybe talent waiting to be found in Allison and Laczynski - maybe i have to see more play and it would be nice if Tanner had better line mates maybe.

Any ways they have good guys for the lineup with TK and Cates.

I am hoping when Atkinson gets back he can be the goal scorer we saw last year they should could use more goals regardless where they get it from. 

Desnoyer is on a 3 game goal scoring streak who knows maybe he gets a call up soon to add more to the lineup.

All i know this whole roster should be fluid while Torts sorts the mess.....it will take some time i don't expect it to be over night.

Going ok so far. Owen will have to work his way back in the lineup when he is ready. I would wait for him before adjusting the roster.

• Like 1