Game 4: Philadelphia Flyers at Florida Panthers: 10/19/22 @ 7:30, TNT

Howie58

Greetings:

The odds have shifted a lot since the win over TB; the Panthers are mild (-125) versus prohibitive (-285) favorites.  That said, the O and B are 2-4 over the last six, and the home team has taken 16 of the last 21.  It will be interesting to see what we have left in the tank physically and emotionally.  I'll look forward to your posts--I'll be at work.

LGF

24 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

It is Felix Sandstrom versus Spencer Knight in goal.  Well, Sandstrom is getting quite a baptism of fire.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-fla/2022/10/19/2022020056

Has he played some like for the Phantoms?

Doesn't seem wise to play him so soon coming off a groin pull unless their goal is to break him but what do I know.

I give Torts credit for the empty net effort. Did it tie the game? No. But they stretched and TK made it close. No shame here. 

That said, this is a game where lack of high end talent shows. One more 30 goal type would make a difference.  Meanwhile, we have a keeper in Sandstrom. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I give Torts credit for the empty net effort. Did it tie the game? No. But they stretched and TK made it close. No shame here. 

That said, this is a game where lack of high end talent shows. One more 30 goal type would make a difference.  Meanwhile, we have a keeper in Sandstrom. 

I like the empty net idea.

Not the effort.

They had over two minutes to work with 6 on 4 and they played like they were only down one goal.

But they were down two goals.

Skate like it.

But they didn't and when they finally did score they only had 2 seconds left...

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

I like the empty net idea.

Not the effort.

They had over two minutes to work with 6 on 4 and they played like they were only down one goal.

But they were down two goals.

Skate like it.

But they didn't and when they finally did score they only had 2 seconds left...

:bonkingheadonwall:

Well, with two red wines under my belt, I d say they were game but the squad isn't as gifted as the Panthers. They skated hard but this is not a group of snipers. Glad Torts wants them to think about victory, or at least getting there.

On to Music City or whatever they call Smashville.

• Like 1

I think it's fair to say the back to back was a factor. Roster isn't very deep and there was some 3rd period fatigue against a rested team.

I  don't think they were terribly outplayed though by a top team so it's not bad really. Goaltending was sub par but Hart can't play them all. It wasn't a winning effort, but it was still miles above the crap we saw last year. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

I think it's fair to say the back to back was a factor. Roster isn't very deep and there was some 3rd period fatigue against a rested team.

I  don't think they were terribly outplayed though by a top team so it's not bad really. Goaltending was sub par but Hart can't play them all. It wasn't a winning effort, but it was still miles above the crap we saw last year. 

Agree with you except for goaltending. Yes the 4th goal was soft and should have been stopped, but Sandstrom was the reason they were in a position to steal a point on the road.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Agree with you except for goaltending. Yes the 4th goal was soft and should have been stopped, but Sandstrom was the reason they were in a position to steal a point on the road.  

1st and 4th imo. He did make some good stops, but the 4th one was a killer. Goalie has to be at his best when you're down a goal. 

Let this sink in - Deslaurier and MacEwan combined for 24 minutes of ice time. Allison and Laczynski combined for just over 20. Anyone defending that usage is just as tone dead as the people that run this organization. Two guys who actually have skill and ability getting less ice time than a couple of active that do nothing but bang bodies and offer nothing else. Now, to add fuel to the fire, imagine being Laczynski and having to center those two guys because the organization doesn't want you to play anywhere else in the lineup and they're pigeon holing you into that role. Completely backwards. 

Laczynski is not being pigeonholed IMO. The issue is for now, he is the 4th best Center on the team according to Torts. He is in the same boat as any other 4th line center in the league, you are playing with less skilled players because it’s the nature of the beast. Usually the 4th line would be centered by a veteran rather than a rook but at least Laczynski is getting a change to be in the lineup every night.

But it get the argument of he’s not able to develop properly with garbage on his wings and reduced ice time. If here stays here, I see 17 being the 13th forward very soon. I think the flyers have too much money invested in 44 to have him serving popcorn to Holmgren and Robert Earl Clarke.

Patience grasshopper. 😀

Edited by Samifan

Torts' post-game presser was interesting. He said the fourth goal was a knuckle that was tougher than it looked and "Sandy's" performance gave them a chance.

As the game sample size increases,  the overall talent level will be more apparent. I would love to see a different fourth line. I don't think we have the bodies. The Sedlak waiver pick up may be part of that.

Add Atkinson and other and we might get more juice. I only watched the last period. My take is that the Panthers have a lot of game changers who can break an opponent's D. We don't. Torts can get a lot more out of this group than Yeo. But that has limits. 

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

8 hours ago, Samifan said:

I agree about Felix playing his first NHL game of the year coming off of a injury last time he played a NHL game was April 27th of last year.

And it didn't help any with TDA looking like he got the heel of the stick on it to cause it to flutter and well it found it's way in.

This Panther team is no where as good as last year's team was losing Hubby and Weegar has down graded them.

I will give this team some props they continue to grind they just need some more scoring power for real and Sarge returned to his proper spot among the line up.

Get Zack out the lineup and maybe return Jackson Cates to the AHL and Owen back in when healthy.

Not sure what Chuck could do to add fire power and a goal scorer i do not want him touching the draft picks for the up coming draft.

And i don't see any sniper coming in this season maybe except Forester maybe. But he needs to be left to develop in the AHL for now.

3-1-0 and +4 in goal differential is something to be happy about this at this point.

Looks like a border line playoff team not the goal though and not a team with a chance for Bedard like i figured.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The Sedlak waiver pick up may be part of that.

I agree but it should be in place of Zach not Tanner or one of the kids who needs to play.

Tanner is 25 and needs to be in the NHL to develop more i think not down with the kids. I guess this has Chuck's hand on it.