Game 3: Philadelphia Flyers at Tampa Bay Lightning: 10/18/22 @ 7 PM, ESPN

Howie58

9 hours ago, flyerrod said:

DeAngelo twice left Stamkos open on the point of the PP. He looked good other than that and blocked a few shots that took some guts. I am not a Seeler or Braun fan. I would prefer Risto to either one of those two.

DeAngelo shouldn't be on the PK. That's not his strength. 

35 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

DeAngelo shouldn't be on the PK. That's not his strength. 

Agreed, I was horrified to see him out there on the PK late in the game. Was he on the PK the whole game? I get that Torts likes him and is wanting to instill confidence, but there's a limit to that. Sure, it looks like genius when it works the first few times. Until it doesn't. And then, it starts to look like the opposite of genius.

18 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I even forgot about him....Flyers best forget about him too.

Sadly, the Flyers can't simply forget about him. He is carrying an annual cap hit of a bit north of $5 mil. And our moronic GM gave up and arm and leg to bring him in.  So we might as well use him. I still think if leveraged correctly, he still has a place on this team. For all the bashing he got in Phily, when he is on his game, he provides a physical presence. He hits, he blocks shots, he is strong along the boards. If he would only do all this consistently, he could make the Flyers a tougher team to play against. And he does have some offensive skills. I really think he could be an asset. If there is anybody who can get the most out of this guy it's Tortz. 

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

and this is different how?

Two players are not the team,  there will always be underachieving players but as a team we already had two third period comebacks, we did that zero times last year. We are showing much more effort than past years. I'm no JVR fan but he has 3 or 4 points, the better JVR plays that will only help us dump him at mid season. I don't consider Hayes to he part of the future.  He's an overpriced stop-gap until we are able to buy him out. 

25 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Two players are not the team,  there will always be underachieving players but as a team we already had two third period comebacks, we did that zero times last year. We are showing much more effort than past years. I'm no JVR fan but he has 3 or 4 points, the better JVR plays that will only help us dump him at mid season. I don't consider Hayes to he part of the future.  He's an overpriced stop-gap until we are able to buy him out. 

Couple few things to touch on here...

first. it was meant as a joke. I get it though, sarcasm can get lost on serious minded people. Second, Hayes will be here longer than JVR. The only reason JVR IS still here, they couldn't move him in the off season. Fact! Third, JVR has 3 or 4 points. Well the Flyers have a 3-0 record. None of us could've predicted either at this stage of the season. Last, that was more sarcasm

:smileyandcomputer:

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Couple few things to touch on here...

first. it was meant as a joke. I get it though, sarcasm can get lost on serious minded people. Second, Hayes will be here longer than JVR. The only reason JVR IS still here, they couldn't move him in the off season. Fact! Third, JVR has 3 or 4 points. Well the Flyers have a 3-0 record. None of us could've predicted either at this stage of the season. Last, that was more sarcasm

:smileyandcomputer:

No problem, I’m as sarcastic as they come. Thank god JVR will be gone by the trade deadline, we should be able to get back a second or third round pick. Yes , Hayes will be here for a few  more seasons, we don’t have much depth at center  anyway so , it doesn’t pay to buy him out until at least half way through his bloated contract since we don’t really have anyone to replace him and the long term buy out implications. We need to keep him around since Coots is not gonna be a full time steady player any more.

Coots has a bad back has nerve pain shooting down and  let me tell you from experience, he will never be the same. He was never a good skater  to begin with and he will lose strength in his legs from the back/nerve  problems , he will always have pain and stiffness and there will  also be flare up’s where he will miss time. I don’t see Coots being able to endure the  wear and tear of a full season and then  down the road, the brutal playoff series and all those games .I had the same L4-5 surgery and I was never able to skate the same as I did before and my legs feel like lead even going up the stairs, I also have constant tingling and burning in my feet Once you have neuropathy it’s all over. If Coots had blazing speed and lost a step, no big deal, but he was slow already and has taken a beating for 10 years so I don’t foresee him being a full time player any more. 

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Like 1