Game 2: Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers; 10/15/22 @ 4 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

He scored a shorthanded breakaway goal to tie the game you ingrate!

Yes he did. I had forgotten what it was like to watch an entertaining Flyers game. Do you think Errson gets the 2nd game of the back to back in Florida?

1 minute ago, flyerrod said:

Yes he did. I had forgotten what it was like to watch an entertaining Flyers game. Do you think Errson gets the 2nd game of the back to back in Florida?

Yeah, prolly. Hart can't start every game so you have to

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

So let's summarize. Started slow but didn't quit. Torts is playing the kids. This is what we asked for isn't it? Tortorella haters - bite me.  

LOL...
Personally, I feel the Flyer fans are still in for a long year, but hey, here is hoping to baby steps forward for you guys, and as fans, I say, you celebrate any and all wins you can get!

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What the heck happened to Taryn Hatcher on the Philly intermission reports?
I liked her. Brutally honest.

Maybe that's why she isn't there any more? Too tough on the Flyers for management's liking? :shifty: 

shoulda been the only good thing about this season. Is that bad of me? Probably. But still true.

The continual weak goal is a problem. Hart has to start saving those. He doesn't need Dillabaugh to view video, just do it. Here's the thing - the wheels will eventually fall off because you can see this club just isn't talented enough. The good news is that Provorov looks good and he looks like a player that has had a huge load taken off him and he can now focus on what he does best. Konecny also looks like a changed man. Now I now it's early in the season, but Frost looks like he's really beginning to put it together. No points tonight, but he was moving and when he moves, good things usually happen. There still so much to fix, but I'm just looking for little victories. If Konecny and Provorov are back on track and have hit another level and if Frost contributes meaningful play, that's a win. But there's still so much to fix. The bottom is going to come out soon and it's going to be ugly. This just isn't a good club. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL...
Personally, I feel the Flyer fans are still in for a long year, but hey, here is hoping to baby steps forward for you guys, and as fans, I say, you celebrate any and all wins you can get!

No doubt it will be. The upside for me is I thought it would take a long time before we saw any signs of Torts hockey. They are clearly buying in so he might be able to build the foundation easier than I expected. As the season goes the lack of talent/depth will inevitably have an effect, but this is still much better than expected. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Does anyone know if Tortorella is keeping the Laczynski - Frost - Allison line together? It looks like all three of them had some good chemistry together last game and I can't see breaking up a good thing, but this is the Flyers we're taking about and Schmuck Felcher likes to dictate who plays with who. 

It's been one game

27 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Who cares if it's one game? They had chemistry. You don't run that because 'it's one game.' That's Dave Hakstol and Alain Vigneault thinking right there, and they both sucked.

No it isn't. It's a practical POV. You can't really gauge long term success off one game. Your thinking is the same as someone who says Frost should be the number one center because he had two goals in one game. You may be right in your POV, but I still say it's not enough sample size to excited about

Right now, the Flyers are 2-0, tied for first, and have a better record than COL

Back away from the kool-aid. Try some bourbon. By seasons end you will need it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Flyers are 2-0....

Obviously early in the season i know, but man i figured some happiness at least.

You'll really be thrilled when this team over achieves and plays themselves right out of the Connor Bedard sweepstakes.

meh, more important  to rebuild the foundation and the culture. This draft is extremely deep and full of talent. Buffalo tanked for McDavid and look how that worked for them. Tanking is folly. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

18 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

meh, more important  to rebuild the foundation and the culture. This draft is extremely deep and full of talent. Buffalo tanked for McDavid and look how that worked for them. Tanking is folly. 

I am not a fan of tanking either.

that said, there is no denying that having more high-end first picks is helpful to teams playing winning hockey.

This is a good year to have a higher 1st pick than say 2020. 

#1 overall is looking like the best player to come out of junior in a few years. The other 2 guys in the top 3 look pretty special as well. 

To your point, Jack Eichel looked "pretty special as well". 

Teams need some luck along with their due diligence and hard work. 

It would be nice if the Flyers trough produced 2 really good/great players to build around. 

Sucking begets more sucking in most scenarios.

Can't be bottom of the table for too long that smell doesn't dissipate quickly. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Who cares if it's one game? They had chemistry. You don't run that because 'it's one game.' That's Dave Hakstol and Alain Vigneault thinking right there, and they both sucked.

I think torts is keeping things fresh and trying to make sure certain bad tendencies are not rewarded. Hell, in reality he is going to be evaluating this team for months to come. I very much like the effort most of this team is putting out. It makes for watchable hockey which we have not seen here for years.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

On 10/16/2022 at 12:02 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Now I now it's early in the season, but Frost looks like he's really beginning to put it together.

Agree with this.  I still think Frost turns into a light version of Danny Briere.   I know a lot of people have given up on him but I haven't.  Maybe I'm naïve. 

First 3 seasons

Danny B - 82 games, 10 goals, 15 assists

Morgan F - 77 games, 7 goals, 16 assists

It wasn't until Briere's 5th season (112th game to start the season, 190th to finish) that he became the player we knew.

Frost has played 82 games total and had two major injuries.  Let's see what he does with a full season and I'll bet he turns a corner around the holidays.

Danny B.

image.png.dd83bb844c5d55f57d6eedc386fcc545.png

Frost.

image.png.8de38a8277f862e564de4731d7d91193.png

15 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Agree with this.  I still think Frost turns into a light version of Danny Briere.   I know a lot of people have given up on him but I haven't.  Maybe I'm naïve. 

I haven't given up on him but I don't see much forward progress yet. He made a couple nice plays in G1, the quick snap shot for a goal then the hustle to stuff the ENer. But most of his shifts he's nowhere doing nothing, and often he gets lost defensively. Could be he used to center and he hasn't yet disciplined himself to play wing, esp while defending.

I still hope for great things from Frost and if he can become another Briere or St. Louis that would be awesome. But more and more I think that bar is probably out of reach.

47 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I very much like the effort most of this team is putting out

I agree. There is a discernible difference in the effort level, puck battles etc. I'm not super happy with the execution in terms of passing and stuff, but I assume that stuff took a back seat to all the cardio they were doing in camp. They do look like they are in better condition. It's early days though, I fully expected Torts to have a short term effect, the question is whether it's sustainable. Which I doubt it is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I haven't given up on him but I don't see much forward progress yet. He made a couple nice plays in G1, the quick snap shot for a goal then the hustle to stuff the ENer. But most of his shifts he's nowhere doing nothing, and often he gets lost defensively. Could be he used to center and he hasn't yet disciplined himself to play wing, esp while defending.

I still hope for great things from Frost and if he can become another Briere or St. Louis that would be awesome. But more and more I think that bar is probably out of reach.

Well waivers (how Buffalo got him) is what woke Briere up though and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Because that would mean some other team is going to benefit not the Flyers.

I'm not giving up on him but he is only signed for one year so not sure what they would do come the end of the year and he doesn't look good or where they think he should be.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm not giving up on him but he is only signed for one year so not sure what they would do come the end of the year and he doesn't look good or where they think he should be.

Trade bait!

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

not sure what they would do come the end of the year and he doesn't look good or where they think he should be.

Good question. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and Frost makes it a no-brainer for the Flyers to offer him a new contract.