Coots Injured….listed as week to week with upper body injury

RonJeremy

They are saying it’s another back injury,  a herniated disk, since they allegedly repaired his original back injury , it must be a second herniated disk. It seems he injured himself during off ice training, I guess in the gym? They are saying he may be out 12 weeks. Which means ,even if he comes back, he will be ineffective and probably in and out of the lineup. Once you have recurring back problems your back is always stiff and periodically you have to get epidurals and are sometimes laid up for weeks at a time. I have had recurring back injuries and surgery, so I know.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, radoran said:

This is turning out just like the old witch woman said it would...

I was hoping the gypsy would finally be wrong.

This is terrible news for Sean obviously. Terrible news for people who would like to see a competitive hockey team this season.

Maybe the tank for Bedard crowd gets some wind in their sails?

I liked what I saw in the World Junior tournament. 

****** news. 

To me seems like maybe Chuck Fletcher is cursed. Like @radoran says even the things that should work for him...don't.

• Like 1

I add the following:  Coots is not a young 29.  The guy has been a rugged two-way center on a mediocre team for 11 years. We know the problems with the Flyers "Training-Medical Complex," to channel Dwight Eisenhower.  But I have to wonder if Coots is wearing out after years of punishment without much support.  As I've said before, on a lot of other teams, the guy would be a number 2 center and a pillar on specialty.  With the O and B, he's been, from my vantage, overburdened and under-supported.  And how he and the team are paying the price.  It is sad.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I add the following:  Coots is not a young 29.  The guy has been a rugged two-way center on a mediocre team for 11 years. We know the problems with the Flyers "Training-Medical Complex," to channel Dwight Eisenhower.  But I have to wonder if Coots is wearing out after years of punishment without much support.  As I've said before, on a lot of other teams, the guy would be a number 2 center and a pillar on specialty.  With the O and B, he's been, from my vantage, overburdened and under-supported.  And how he and the team are paying the price.  It is sad.  

Yes and wait until Hayes breaks down again and if we get any injuries to our top 3 dmen. We may be worse than last year. Fletcher is already in panic mode signing stiffs and goons, he should just let the young guys play, enough we the washed up veterans. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

ya know, I'm kinda wondering if players are finding any way possible to jump off this train wreck. If your Coots, and you know your next few seasons will be in hell, why not take the money and run. I wouldn't blame him at all. If it's "a business" and my health is at the center of my business success, why risk it? It's not like you don't already have a post-playing career already with the Flyers. Hell he'll prolly be HC in LHV as soon as Lappy gets promoted to take Torts' job

Just now, FireDillabaugh said:

I like Coots.  Good player.  But, just not 7.75 AAV.  Really never bought into the hype about it being a "good" deal.  Maybe 6 AAV at most.  Just because he's on a poor team, and improperly placed as the first line center because of it, doesn't mean he deserves first line money.

Don't see him returning from this for at least a season, if at all.

If Coots and Ellis never make it back it's a blessing in disguise. We will save 13 million and have no choice but to do the rebuild Fletcher says we don't need.  Hayes is now our #1 center. 

• Like 2

Sept 13: Flyers promote Couturier and Hayes as healthy and ready for the season

Sept 15: Flyers put single tickets on sale

Sept 19: Flyers put Couturier on the shelf

That's one week from clearing Couturier to play to putting him back on the shelf.

And that shelf he's on is right next to Ryan Ellis, together representing $14M in cap space and two players who the Flyers medical staff said were fine and ready to go play professional hockey at the NHL level only to have them be reinjured within a week.

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We will save 13 million and have no choice but to do the rebuild Fletcher says we don't need.

Well, LTIR is a little more complicated than that and having $14M tied up in dead cap space can make offseasons a tough time even with a 10% cap cushion.

They couldn't even begin take a shot at Gaudreau because of just Ellis...

And they're both signed for at least the next five years.

8 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Hayes is now our #1 center. 

sad death GIF by Global TV

Hayes isn't the #1 center at Boston College.

Edited by radoran
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Sept 13: Flyers promote Couturier and Hayes as healthy and ready for the season

Sept 15: Flyers put single tickets on sale

Sept 19: Flyers put Couturier on the shelf

That's one week from clearing Couturier to play to putting him back on the shelf.

And that shelf he's on is right next to Ryan Ellis, together representing $14M in cap space and two players who the Flyers medical staff said were fine and ready to go play professional hockey at the NHL level only to have them be reinjured within a week.

Well, LTIR is a little more complicated than that and having $14M tied up in dead cap space can make offseasons a tough time even with a 10% cap cushion.

They couldn't even begin take a shot at Gaudreau because of just Ellis...

And they're both signed for at least the next five years.

sad death GIF by Global TV

Hayes isn't the #1 center at Boston College.

So  if neither come back at all and retire does this mean we have to trade the dead cap and give up more assets? I remember we did something with Pronger after his injury, but I don't remember the rules of long term injuries or retirement. 

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Even with the injuries, he should still be the 3rd line center.  Frost's ice time should increase.

"Should".  Obviously, they'll put Hayes at first line center and sign Anisimov to a 6 mil deal and put him as 2nd line center.

"Tank" in full effect.  All the "talk" is just more BS.

A panicked Fletcher will certainly overpay for Anisomov now that his agent knows about the Coots injury. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

How so?  Not sure what you mean here.

sure, from the first and second paragraphs of your link (their emphasis)

LTIR is a very complicated aspect of the NHL operations and the vast majority of details are not specified in the CBA.

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR. There are three equations that are used to determine the LTIR relief, the first, the basic equation, can be used during the season and during the off-season. The second, the training-camp equation, can be used on the final day of the off-season in preparation for the first day of the season. The third formula is used when the team already has a player on LTIR.

So, it's not "they get an extra $14M" - it's "very complicated" and is calculated differently at different points. And you have to be at or near the cap to get any extra space.

And in the offseason, there is no "LTIR" but there is a 10% cap cushion. At a $82.5M cap, that's an "extra" $8.25M in offseason space, where if they also have $14M sitting in dead cap space that's around $6.75M more in dead cap space than the "cushion" they get.

26 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

So  if neither come back at all and retire does this mean we have to trade the dead cap and give up more assets? I remember we did something with Pronger after his injury, but I don't remember the rules of long term injuries or retirement. 

Yes, that's what it c/would mean.

I don't think "retirement" in this situation does anything. The "retirement" exception IIRC is for 35+.

Pronger was Sam Gagner and a 4th for Grossman and Pronger.

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yes, that's what it c/would mean.

I don't think "retirement" in this situation does anything. The "retirement" exception IIRC is for 35+.

Pronger was Sam Gagner and a 4th for Grossman and Pronger.

So it's over Johnny.

• Like 1