Evgeni Malkin 500th Goal - Watch Party!

NHL HHOF

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, NHL HHOF said:

The season ends for Pittsburgh. Evgeni Malkin is 3 goals shy of 500 for next season!

NHL.com shows that he has 498 goals:

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/player/evgeni-malkin-8471215

As well as hockeydb.com  shows same number:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=77329

5 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

NHL.com shows that he has 498 goals:

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/player/evgeni-malkin-8471215

As well as hockeydb.com  shows same number:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=77329

I don't know what I missed! Those could be wrong, and still being worked on.

Just now, NHL HHOF said:

I don't know what I missed! Those could be wrong, and still being worked on.

I trust a lot to hockeydb.com. They usually very accurate in those stats.

• 5 months later...

Malkin fast approaching significant milestones with Penguins

38-year-old forward 2 goals from 500, needs 4 points for 1,300, entering season opener against Rangers on Wednesday

https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-malkin-approaching-significant-nhl-milestones-goals-and-points

CRANBERRY, Pa. -- Evgeni Malkin stood at a podium Feb. 23, 2022.

He spoke about longtime teammate and fellow Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby, who scored his 500th goal eight days prior. The lone assist went to Malkin.

"He deserves everything," Malkin said then. "Every goal he scores, I'm glad to give him assists. Great memory for me, for sure. I hope someday, he can give me an assist on my 500th goal."

Malkin's turn is nearing.

Entering his 19th NHL season two goals from 500 and four points from 1,300, he doesn't want to be patient and would like to have it over with when the Penguins start the regular season against the New York Rangers at PPG Paints Arena on Wednesday (7:30 p.m. ET; MAX, TNT).

"First of all, score two goals," Malkin said Sept. 19, one day after Pittsburgh opened training camp. "Next two games. Not preseason, regular season. My goal all the time [is], like, four points every game. Team wins every game."

Malkin is second in Penguins history with 1,145 games played behind Crosby (1,272), and third with 1,296 points, 498 goals and 798 assists, trailing Mario Lemieux (1,723; 690, 1,033) and Crosby (1,596; 592, 1,004). The 38-year-old isn't the same player from 2011-12, when he won the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL scoring leader for the second time and the Hart Trophy voted as League MVP with 109 points (50 goals, 59 assists) in 75 games.

That same explosion might not be there, Malkin has admitted as much in recent years, but last season came with 67 points (27 goals, 40 assists) in a full 82 games, second on the Penguins to Crosby's 94 (42 goals, 52 assists).

"I'm still hungry, I still want to win every game," Malkin said. "Again, my goal is, like, one, two points every game."

Defenseman Kris Letang, Malkin's teammate since they were rookies in 2006-07, said that isn't a reach.

"It's the confidence level he has in his ability on the ice," Letang said. "When you have that much confidence, you literally put a lot of fear in your opponent. Obviously, I've never experienced it playing against him, but I can't imagine how it feels to have him full speed with a frame like his (6-foot-5, 210 pounds), with the skill he has.

"He's coming, you don't even know what he's going to do. No matter what you're going to try, you know he's going to probably succeed, so it's pretty incredible what he's accomplished. Obviously, he's got the shot. He's got everything."

Malkin, Crosby and Letang, set to begin their 19th season together, are the longest tenured trio in the history of North American major pro sports.

After Crosby reached 500 goals, Malkin and Letang joined a pregame ceremony Feb. 20, 2022. They honored Crosby before his 1,000th NHL game Feb. 20, 2021. Crosby and Letang did the same for Malkin's 1,000th on Nov. 20, 2022, and Crosby and Malkin kept up the tradition for Letang on April 2, 2023.

Crosby, four points from 1,600 and eight goals from 600, said sharing those moments is never taken for granted.

"I think about that every time we're in those positions," Crosby said. "I mean, it's something where you look at certain memories over the years or opportunities, the milestones, those are things that you're always going to remember, you're always going to have. It's fun to be part of those.

"We know how close he is (to 500 goals). Hopefully, Game 1, we can see him do it."

The core has been frustrated lately. After making the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of Malkin's first 16 seasons, they've missed in the past two.

Malkin doesn't want to make it a trend.

"My personality, it's like, 'Win every game.' It's what I do all my life," Malkin said. "The last two seasons, it's not fun. When you lost, you're not in the playoffs, it's not great for the city, not great for the fans."

That comes with the expectations Malkin helped build, winning the Conn Smythe Trophy voted as MVP of the playoffs in 2009 before lifting the Stanley Cup again in 2016 and 2017.

Mike Sullivan was hired as coach Dec. 12, 2015, and immediately guided Pittsburgh to the two most recent championships. He quickly learned to appreciate Malkin's bond with Crosby and Letang.

"They remind me of siblings in how they interact with one another," Sullivan said. "They have their own tussles inside the locker room that it reminds me of my kids, how they go at it with each other. But I think they have sincere, heartfelt care for one another also.

"You can see it in how they stick up for each other on the ice when the games get a little nasty out there. They're the first ones to the scrums, for example."

So it makes sense Malkin would want Crosby to assist No. 500.

"Maybe I've got to put Geno on the wing with Sid so we can make that happen," Sullivan said.

Edited by NHL HHOF

Malkin Teases Trade If Penguins Not Playoff Team Before Retirement

If the Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t a playoff team, Evgeni Malkin knows his window is closing before retirement. Does that mean a trade?

https://nhltradetalk.com/malkin-hints-trade-penguins-not-playoff-before-retirement/

According to a post by Josh Yohe of The Athletic, Evgeni Malkin is considering his future with the Pittsburgh Penguins as he enters the final two years of his contract, which expires when he is just shy of 40. An elite player in the NHL for over a decade, Malkin experienced a ton of success on Stanley Cup-winning teams before the Penguins took a turn in a different direction. Now, as the club goes through a retool, Maklin has to balance the desire to win with the fact his window to play is closing. If the Penguins aren’t going to be a playoff team, does that mean the only option left is a trade?

Noting that these could be his last two seasons in the NHL, the reality has to be setting in that if he wants to play meaningful postseason hockey again, he might have to do so somewhere other than Pittsburgh. He’s aware that retirement is creeping up on him, but he said he wants to play in the playoffs one more time before making that decision.

“I love the playoffs so much… I couldn’t leave if I never play in the playoffs again,” he declared.

Malkin, who has faced numerous injuries throughout his career, including two ACL surgeries, remains optimistic. “My body doesn’t feel perfect,” he admitted, “but my mind? It feels great.” He is determined to make these final years memorable and, ideally, he’d like to see the playoffs again with the Penguins.

Unfortunately, the Penguins haven’t made the playoffs since 2022, and Malkin’s frustration is playing a factor in his career choices. “I was so mad the last two years,” he said, recalling how close the team came to securing a postseason berth. “Missing the playoffs by one or two points. Terrible.”

Would Malkin Accept a Trade from Penguins for the Playoffs?

While Malkin considers retirement, he’s clear about his terms: he won’t hang up his skates without one last shot at playoff glory. If the playoffs are a priority over being a career Penguin, it means a discussion with GM Kyle Dubas. He’s got a full no-movement clause, so he’ll get say in where he goes.

If the Penguins fail to compete this season, will Malkin consider a trade to a contender? He didn’t rule out that possibility, making it evident that his passion for playoff hockey drives him forward.

THE NHL 500+ GOALS CLUB

01. 894 – Wayne Gretzky
02. 853 – Alex Ovechkin
03. 801 – Gordie Howe
04. 766 – Jaromir Jagr
05. 741 – Brett Hull
06. 731 – Marcel Dionne
07. 717 – Phil Esposito
08. 708 – Mike Gartner
09. 694 – Mark Messier
10. 692 – Steve Yzerman
11. 690 – Mario Lemieux