Why did Johnny Hockey go to Columbus😫😫😫

26 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

He could have been an all time legend in Calgary...what did Columbus have that Calgary didn't...?

For what it's worth, I think he already is an all-time legend in Calgary.

32 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

He could have been an all time legend in Calgary...what did Columbus have that Calgary didn't...?

It's not right around the corner, but it's simply a lot closer to home. It's a 2 hour plane ride from Columbus to Philly or Newark instead of like 8 hours direct.   It's as simple as that.  Nothing about the Flames or Calgary or the fan base there.

It was about proximity and the highest bidder within that proximity.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

It's not right around the corner, but it's simply a lot closer to home. It's a 2 hour plane ride from Columbus to Philly or Newark instead of like 8 hours direct.   It's as simple as that.  Nothing about the Flames or Calgary or the fan base there.

He will also be playing a lot more road games in his family's neck of the woods now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

He will also be playing a lot more road games in his family's neck of the woods now.

Right.   I didn't think of that (yet....alcohol), but that's a brilliant point.   

Star forward Johnny Gaudreau joins 'thrilled' Columbus Blue Jackets with seven-year deal

The Columbus Blue Jackets on Wednesday agreed to terms with star forward Johnny Gaudreau on a seven-year contract, the team announced, landing NHL free agency's biggest name in a stunning move.

Gaudreau's deal with the Blue Jackets is for $68.25 million, carrying an average annual value of $9.75 million against the NHL salary cap.

The 28-year-old left wing spent all nine of his NHL seasons with the Calgary Flames, scoring 609 points in 602 games. He had a career high 115 points last season in 82 games, which included a career-best 40 goals. He's finished fourth in the NHL MVP voting in two of the past four seasons.

"Johnny Gaudreau is a superstar in the National Hockey League, and we couldn't be happier to welcome him to the Columbus Blue Jackets family," Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said in a news release. "He is an elite player with great character that makes the players around him better.

We are thrilled to add a player of his caliber to our group. This is an exciting day for our franchise, our fans and the city of Columbus."

Gaudreau informed the Flames this week that he wouldn't re-sign with them. Calgary spared no expense in trying to bring back their franchise star, putting an eight-year deal with an average annual value of more than $10 million per season on the table.

"We did everything possible to keep John here," Flames general manager Brad Treliving said. "It's my strong belief that this is a family decision, and I respect that fully." Gaudreau is expecting a child with his wife, Meredith Morris, in the coming months, Treliving added.

With Gaudreau hitting the free agent market, three teams came to the forefront for the South Jersey native's services: The Philadelphia Flyers, who were Gaudreau's favorite team as a child, the New Jersey Devils and the New York Islanders.

The Flyers attempted to clear space to sign Gaudreau but were unable to do so.

"We don't have the space to pursue those high-end free agents," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said. "I talked to a lot of teams about maybe getting cap flexibility. We looked at some different options. The price of moving contracts is really expensive."

After the NHL's free agent market officially opened at noon on Wednesday, there were rumors that the Blue Jackets were getting involved in the Gaudreau derby.

There had been speculation that Columbus would be an aggressive team this offseason. Kekalainen watched his team struggle through two non-playoff seasons, having traded away veteran players like Seth Jones, Cam Atkinson, David Savard, Nick Foligno and Max Domi. The Blue Jackets were in talks with the Tampa Bay Lightning about defenseman Ryan McDonagh before he was traded to the Nashville Predators.

• Good Post 1

As a Flyer fan, I'm glad Gaudreau went to Columbus.   We dodged a bullet long term.  A big fat exploding bullet.

But what the Flyers DID get was utterly pointless.    I get tanking, but do it with your fricken homegrown for a lot cheaper and maybe actually luck out in the process.   Braun Part Duh and Desaulniers doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.   It does say, though, that Ellis is done.

Cheek Flutcker should be too.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (4).gif

Edited by ruxpin

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

So just anywhere on the west coast would have been enough...? Still sad all it took was an East coast team...

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Right.   I didn't think of that (yet....alcohol), but that's a brilliant point.   

Canada also had some abominable covid rules for travellers until recently so he probably didn't want to risk ever going through that again

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

His wife, a registered nurse at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, is about to have their first child, and Columbus is a LOT closer to Philly and Jersey than Calgary is.  Really not that hard to understand, is it?  As Treliving said, this is a family decision.

Why didn't he just choose Jersey and be the closest...didn't know his wife was still working and not in Calgary living with him but she should have been...

20 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Why didn't he just choose Jersey and be the closest...didn't know his wife was still working and not in Calgary living with him but she should have been...

Why?  They're not even married a year yet and she works at one of the best pediatric hospitals in the country.  They knew when they got married that he was done in Calgary and would move closer.  Why "should" she have been?  Just curious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Oh, man. That's brutal.

Please tell me that he was misquoted.

Oh the smoke you see in the western part of Canada right now is the public burning of Gaudreau jersey's in Calgary......

14 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Oh, man. That's brutal.

Please tell me that he was misquoted.

You know, it could be one of those things where he DID say something, and it came out not like he intended (we all do that), except of course, he is the famous "Johnny Hockey", all eyes and ears are on him and anything he says, people will pick apart the millisecond it is released.

Add to that the era of social media and cameras and microphones EVERYWHERE, and one could easily see how some comment could either be taken out of context, or if it was in context, be ripped apart before any semblance of 'meaning' was derived from it.

Bottom line here is, Gaudreau has to realize who he is in relation to his profession, and anything, ANYTHING he says, no matter how he may have meant it, will be micro-analyzed, and the fact that he turned down big money to stay in Calgary, regardless of anything he may have said after that, pretty much guaranteed he would be vilified by Flames fans and the Calgary media.

One last thing to consider:
This tweet is from Greg Wyshynski.
Now, I don't maintain a big Twitter presence, but I do dabble in it under a pseudonym just to see "what the twits are Tweeting" :bigteeth: , and most of my reading of Wyshynski is via our own site because he pops up frequently on our feed, and I gotta tell ya, the guy comes off as a tool to me.

Never anything particularly insightful, usually posts stuff as a way to seemingly get attention for himself and what I am sure HE considers, his 'clever takes'.
So, I'd take anything he posts with a grain of salt.

Maybe Gaudreau said what he said, maybe he meant it like it sounded, maybe he didn't....but if there was any way that troglodyte Wyshynski could use that to put himself on the Twitter front page, he would do it.

One thing is for sure:
When the Jackets go on their West Canada road trip, expect Lil Johnny to be roundly booed by the Calgary faithful.
Hell, he might even get that in Edmonton and Vancouver if Wussinski did his job and rile up enough Western Canadians...

15 hours ago, ruxpin said:

As a Flyer fan, I'm glad Gaudreau went to Columbus.   We dodged a bullet long term.  A big fat exploding bullet.

But what the Flyers DID get was utterly pointless.    I get tanking, but do it with your fricken homegrown for a lot cheaper and maybe actually luck out in the process.   Braun Part Duh and Desaulniers doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.   It does say, though, that Ellis is done.

Cheek Flutcker should be too.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (4).gif

I agree.

Only thing I can think of is that Chuck was faking like they were even going to be in on him.

It was a fake just Chuck is a fake.

Nothing more.

The only good that comes of this is I know now that I can save my money again buying a package for next season.

So sad. Only the Eagles left to follow now.

On 7/14/2022 at 3:53 AM, ruxpin said:

Why?  They're not even married a year yet and she works at one of the best pediatric hospitals in the country.  They knew when they got married that he was done in Calgary and would move closer.  Why "should" she have been?  Just curious.

Because they could have had 15M more by staying in Calgary and a chance at being an all time Calgary legend and better chance at the Cup...I doubt working as a nurse at the best hospitals pays much...

17 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Oh the smoke you see in the western part of Canada right now is the public burning of Gaudreau jersey's in Calgary......

Well I don't hate him for leaving...but I don't understand it though...guess it's just a homesick thing for him being American and wanting to live in America...

57 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

I doubt working as a nurse at the best hospitals pays much...

don’t kid yourself….as a healthcare provider myself I know which hospital she works for and she is required to have a BSN not her LPN.

BSN’s earn 75k to 100k+ per year depending on experience and specialty.

For example Certified Nurse Practitioners (CRNP) start around 110k per year and if you are a Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) starting salary is 175K+ per year. 

CHOP is part of the UPenn Health Care System, the same Healthcare System I work for. It is highly specialized for pediatric patients and I know many of those RN’s are highly trained and compensated very well.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villella McMeans said:

Because they could have had 15M more by staying in Calgary and a chance at being an all time Calgary legend and better chance at the Cup...I doubt working as a nurse at the best hospitals pays much...

Wow, what generation are you from?  She has a career too, and I'm sure hers is important to her and her husband as well.  Money isn't everything and nurses are very passionate about their work.  Come on man.....

• Like 1

To me, it doesn't matter why he did it. I'm glad that he did.

As a hockey fan, this was about as big of a rope a dope that there could ever be. It now opens the door to believing anything can happen with any player. That mystery and possibility is GREAT for the game. 

On the other hand, I don't like when star players leave teams. Of course, they have every right to do it, I just think that is bad for fans of one particular market. To be a Flames fan right now? You're watching your team fall apart before your eyes. Tkachuk may be next, and then you're left with nothing but the natural aesthetics of your city. 

This very well could happen to me as a member of Leafs nation. Auston Matthews may go to Arizona or Los Angeles. I think that's great for the game, but terrible for Leafs fans. 

Finally, I think it's nice when a guy doesn't make $$$$$$ the overriding factor on where he plays. More of that, please. 

1 hour ago, Villella McMeans said:

Maybe it's not about that.   Maybe it's about a life work of going to one of the best schools in the nation to be able to work at one of the best hospitals.   She should give up everything so Calgary fans can have their "legend" when as a married couple they have more money than they need and he can play hockey closer to her?  And honestly, I cannot begin to imagine what being a "legend" in Calgary gets someone.  It's like being the most popular pretzel stand operator in Poughkeepsie.

Good lord.    Leave It to Beaver is calling; it wants its antiquated world view back.

39 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

don’t kid yourself….as a healthcare provider myself I know which hospital she works for and she is required to have a BSN not her LPN.

BSN’s earn 75k to 100k+ per year depending on experience and specialty.

For example Certified Nurse Practitioners (CRNP) start around 110k per year and if you are a Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) starting salary is 175K+ per year. 

CHOP is part of the UPenn Health Care System, the same Healthcare System I work for. It is highly specialized for pediatric patients and I know many of those RN’s are highly trained and compensated very well.

Ok it's a good job...but I wouldn't continue working if the other choice was 15M on top of all the other Ms...just saying I don't understand the need to work of you're already rich...but I guess being a nurse she might just like helping others...but to give up millions like they did is not something I'd do...

30 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Wow, what generation are you from?  She has a career too, and I'm sure hers is important to her and her husband as well.  Money isn't everything and nurses are very passionate about their work.  Come on man.....

Yeah I know it's not a modern opinion but I'd still pick the 15M more on top of the millions more...nurses like helping others but I thought some nurses would like to retire early too...guess I am from the old generation then...

1 minute ago, Villella McMeans said:

.just saying I don't understand the need to work of you're already rich...but I guess being a nurse she might just like helping others.

true ...one would wonder why work at all if your spouse is bringing in several million a year, however,  I believe you answered your own question.  As an RN she loves helping others, especially in the pediatric side of medicine.  I love healthcare and as a Clinical Pharmacist my wife would attest that I truly love answering peoples drug questions even when I am NOT at work. 

• Like 1