Another coach is available for the Flyers. Barry Trotz was just fired.

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

In stating that I wouldn't change the past if I could (as it pertains to the Flyers), I'm inclined to side with Flyer management on the Lindros saga

what that has to do with Barry Trotz being fired? I have no friggin clue

:PostAward4:

idk but there's a rumour going around that Trotz and Barzal had some sort of beef, and I guess if that's true Barzal won. 

Another rumour I heard is Trotz might not want to coach and might want a GM job. Also heard the Flyers might be interested in interviewing him (I think for coach) but it's all rumours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

a lot of people thought Forsberg was going to be a star player

Sure, and Forsberg went where he had a solid center to let him be the playmaking wing.

He wouldn't have had that in Philadelphia.

It's why Lindros - why Clarke - was so valuable: the center position can make wings better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Sure, and Forsberg went where he had a solid center to let him be the playmaking wing.

He wouldn't have had that in Philadelphia.

It's why Lindros - why Clarke - was so valuable: the center position can make wings better.

Ya, except Forsberg also played center. Sakic Forsberg was like Crosby Malkin or McDavid Draisaitl. A dynamic duo but also capable of driving their own lines, which they have done. 

But yes, centers make their wingers better, I mean just look at what Jack Eichel did for Vegas..........oh sorry, bad example :)

(sorry, I just can't stand that human chia pet so any opportunity)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Goon said:

So the Islanders fired and hired a coach in less than a week, and Trotz who got fired a week ago is already interviewing with Winnipeg. Meanwhile the Flyers who hasn't had a real head coach since 2021 are ''getting closer to starting their interviews.'' There really are no words.

Well the Flyers have let be known that Trotz is their top choice. That changes everything.  Im sure Trotz is booking his flights

In other news, the number 1 pick in the draft was the Flyers top choice as well

Edited by CoachX

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Just speculation here,  but if our forum was up and running when the Lindros deal went down, the number of negative posts against would have been about 2

Lindros is what got me hooked on the Flyers back in the day in the Navy a friend of mine always was out at the bars watching the Sabres the team he followed.

I would drink and watch with him and learn the game.

Down in the south in 1991 there wasn't no hockey coverage besides what was shown on ESPN.

And my buddy hated the Flyers always cussing at the TV when they played do I didn't have a team back then and just sort of always liked their jerseys.

So when I got out the Navy in September 1992 it was Big E first season and well when I was back home I always tried to watch when they were on.

And watching the Legion of Doom hooked me.

And we'll no hockey has ever lived up to that to me.

Sure they didn't have the best goalie or defense but man I loved to watch the forwards get in the offensive zone and make stuff happen.

Big E will always be my favorite Flyer I don't care. 

Everything will have to measure up to that for me. And it never will I think.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Well the Flyers have let be known that Trotz is their top choice. That changes everything.  Im sure Trotz is booking his flights

In other news, the number 1 pick in the draft was the Flyers top choice as well

Where did you see that?

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Where did you see that?

SBNation. I tried to share it but it didnt work

Barry Trotz reportedly ‘top candidate’ for Flyers head coach

• Like 1

If this comes to pass (hiring Trotz), then indeed the front office has opted for a "fix it" coach solution.
Trotz, Torterella, Hitchcock...the types of guys you bring in when your roster and locker rooms are in shambles.

I wouldn't say a coach like Barry Trotz would lead the Flyers to a title at this stage, but if the FO lets him do his job, he should be able to get the team back to a respectable level, and do it through cold, harsh, blue collar defensive work.

Of course, that would be good as a foundation, as it would weed out the floaters, paycheck collectors, single ply paper towel types from the roster..... but like any 'fix it' coach, sooner or later, the roster will tire of the 'under the hammer' routines, tune him out, and it will be time for a younger, fresh minded coach to step in, and build off off whatever foundation the grizzled Trotz has set in place, maintaining the good aspects, while injecting fresh ideas, which I am sure would include up temp offense.

All sounds great on paper, and there is no guarantee things will work out in a positive manner by bringing in a coach like Trotz, but it is better to try, than continuing to wallow in whatever it is the organization is wallowing in now.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Good Post 1

26 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I wouldn't say a coach like Barry Trotz would lead the Flyers to a title at this stage, but if the FO lets him do his job, he should be able to get the team back to a respectable level, and do it through cold, harsh, blue collar defensive work.

I have no doubt with a lot of work Trotz could get them in position to pick in the 10-20 range.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

Just speculation here,  but if our forum was up and running when the Lindros deal went down, the number of negative posts against would have been about 2

Well I would have been one of those two. 

• Good Post 1

"Charlie O'Connor

@charlieo_conn

Following up on @FriedgeHNIC's 32 Thoughts, can confirm per a source that Barry Trotz is indeed in the "top tier" of the Flyers' coaching wishlist. As I've reported previously, money will not be an object in their coaching search. Doesn't mean they'll get him, but he's a target."

If money is no object, and that is now out there, and he doesn't accept, does this mean the next guy gets the same offer?

I mean, hey applicant, we were gonna pay Trotz whatever he wanted, but you only get X.....

I dont see that working out well if you interview for Torts or some other high end coach

On 5/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If this comes to pass (hiring Trotz), then indeed the front office has opted for a "fix it" coach solution.
Trotz, Torterella, Hitchcock...the types of guys you bring in when your roster and locker rooms are in shambles.

Of course, that would be good as a foundation, as it would weed out the floaters, paycheck collectors, single ply paper towel types from the roster..... but like any 'fix it' coach, sooner or later, the roster will tire of the 'under the hammer' routines, tune him out, and it will be time for a younger, fresh minded coach to step in, and build off off whatever foundation the grizzled Trotz has set in place, maintaining the good aspects, while injecting fresh ideas, which I am sure would include up temp offense.

All sounds great on paper, and there is no guarantee things will work out in a positive manner by bringing in a coach like Trotz, but it is better to try, than continuing to wallow in whatever it is the organization is wallowing in now.

Trotz is exactly what Chuckie and Homer have been waiting for. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of respect for him as a coach. The problem is, the team he'll be coaching isn't that good. Sure he'll get everything he can out of most of the roster. He'll bring them back to respectability. But they just don't have the ponies to run with the big boys for 4 best of 7 playoff series. And they'll probably never get those ponies with Trotz coaching because he'll always have them playing to their max. So drafting elite is for the most part out. And this management sure doesn't have the wits to trade for it, or sign as UFA. 

The team needs a near complete rebuild. This is just another carrot for the fans grasping at hope. 

Torts or Hitchcock? LMAO.  I could see either of them getting us closer to Bedard. It would be fun to watch lazy ass Hayes and JVR and Rasmensa Ristolainen playing for any of those 3 though.

• Like 1