Brink, Flyers ink ELC

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Adding 10 lbs of muscle to a frame isn't difficult today. 

Yes not very hard. I'm 5-11 and i run my weight around 210 in the winter.

In the summer i get down to 190.

And i actually feel best at this weight but i think perfect weight for my size if i remember correctly is around 172 which is a BMI of around 19%.

But as a 50 year old man i haven't been that lean since like 1997.

And i hate eating to stay at that weight.

I think the weight can be different for athletes. Like myself i have natural big shoulders but my weight is distributed evenly. Hockey players tend to have huge legs and smaller upper body.

Unless you are a rare specimen like NAK who was a gym rat have a very sculptured body because he look's like he lifts heavy with his upper body as well as his legs.

And water and salt in take can't skew this so quickly give or take 10 pounds.

Best thing Brink can do is find the best weight he is comfortable at because as you said the more muscle you add the lest mobility you may have as well....see Carson Wentz when he bulked up and gained some muscles it threw his throwing mechanics off.

And the following year he shed it because it did not help his game it hindered it more than helped it. In fact he has struggled with his mechanics ever since.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

es not very hard. I'm 5-11 and i run my weight around 210 in the winter.

In the summer i get down to 190.

And i actually feel best at this weight but i think perfect weight for my size if i remember correctly is around 172 which is a BMI of around 19%.

But as a 50 year old man i haven't been that lean since like 1997.

Sometimes I think I'm the Pennsyltucky version of  you...

5'11 -195 at my most fit and dangerous.

When I was heavier as a younger man 205, I wasn't the same athlete, definitely not as quick and less body control. I went from being able to score from anywhere with either hand on the volleyball court- to feeling like a slow plodder barely able to swing with my dominant hand.

Today as a "near 50 year old", my blood pressure likes it better when I am around 180, but the eating to get there sucks, as you said.

I still feel decent in the 185 range, but I tend to feel sluggish when I'm heavier. I don't have the tolerance in my joints to lift heavy any longer. (I know @CoachX kettlebells). so that extra weight is my fat cells getting larger, not the muscles.  sigh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just thought I'd stop by the "Brink needs to get bigger" conversation and suggest...... A SHIRNK.

Can you imagine what his family/friends were thinking/saying watching that game!!!..... What a great memory for your 1st NHL tilt.....

This Franchise (management) is really blowing it BIG TIME..... poor kid.

At least HArt looked good.....:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

40 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I still feel decent in the 185 range, but I tend to feel sluggish when I'm heavier.

My diet now consist of basically the Carnivore diet.

I don't eat veggies any more really (except when i have cheat meals with the wife).

It is not a fad diet. I feel better than i have in 20 years.

I know it sounds crazy to think but if you cut the veggies and the carbs you'll be surprised on how good you will feel.

All my joints stopped hurting my knee from ACL surgery feels better and i have endless energy.

My diet: I only eat chicken once a week and pork once a week the rest is read meat.

Meat, pasture raised eggs and cheese every now and then some fruit when it is in season and my reward when i need it is raw honey.

Best i ever felt. It is not a popular diet and i like it better than keto. In the gym when i did keto my strength suffered on carnivore i don't have that....and a warning for the wife your libido will go throw the roof.

I would never believe it till i tried it. So what i do since my schedule i work 12 hour shifts 4 straight.

So on those days i only eat supper. When i get home from work i eat till i am full.

On my 4 days off which i 4 straight i only eat two meals work out at 11 am fasted and eat my first meal at 3 pm. And my last meal around 8 pm.

Best diet ever.

My doctor does not like it because my cholesterol is high but it will be high when you eat and diet like this but that is all.

All my markers are good and best part ever is i feel better than i did when i was 35.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I still feel decent in the 185 range, but I tend to feel sluggish when I'm heavier. I don't have the tolerance in my joints to lift heavy any longer. (I know @CoachX kettlebells). so that extra weight is my fat cells getting larger, not the muscles.  sigh

You can do alot with a 25lb kettlebell. At 54 my metabolism is slowing so my weight is up (200lb), but the kettlebells are still effective. As for being able to compete at any level, that may be another thing. I have an 80lb Lab dragging my tired a$$ all over the airport. He thinks I'm 18. Im also about to head back to the beer league after a 2 year hiatus. I guess we will see, but considered I was one step above a broken pylon, I doubt I will be able to tell if its age, or that I still suck

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CoachX said:

At 54 my metabolism is slowing so my weight is up (200lb), but the kettlebells are still effective.

Well to counter act that stop eating many carbs at all if you feel like you need them make sure they are green carbs stay away from gains.

As we age our free testosterone start to drop and with the consumption of grains and sugar it will make your body convert more test into estrogen.

Basically with our age it comes down to controlling hormones and insulin is a hormone so to combat that try to not spike insulin if you can help it.

When you spike insulin and consume fats with that well you end up wearing it.

And if you have a gut well that means you have a fatty liver so you need to fix the liver in order to fix your conversion of estrogen.

Fatty live causes your body to convert test to estrogen. That is why eggs with the yolks are one of the nest foods you can eat in order to combat that. They are full of choline to help strip the fat off your liver.

At our age nutrition is just as important and working out. I don't eat carbs except every now and then i will have a salad but otherwise. I get most of my nutrition through food. I do not take protein shakes and try and eat about 150-200 grams of protein a day.

And don't believe what they tell us about red meat it isn't going to kill you in fact it will help you feel better than you ever feel. I stay away from chicken and pork mostly because of what they feed those animals. I eat mostly grass feed beef and a lot of fish and seafood.

I am no expert and learned all this the hard way...tried to save my mom and dad before they passed but it didn't do much good because they believed only what the doctors tell them.

But i tried.

America is built around killing us and using the medical field to keep us alive so they can steal as much money as they can before we die.

Same with pharmaceuticals there is no money in curing anything anymore but there is in giving you a pill for the the rest of your life to keep you alive like a legal drug pusher.

The world needs to wake up and think about what they are putting in their mouths if you research it it is eye opening.

An way i won't hi jack this thread anymore sorry Bobby...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well to counter act that stop eating many carbs at all if you feel like you need them make sure they are green carbs stay away from gains.

As we age our free testosterone start to drop and with the consumption of grains and sugar it will make your body convert more test into estrogen.

Basically with our age it comes down to controlling hormones and insulin is a hormone so to combat that try to not spike insulin if you can help it.

When you spike insulin and consume fats with that well you end up wearing it.

And if you have a gut well that means you have a fatty liver so you need to fix the liver in order to fix your conversion of estrogen.

Fatty live causes your body to convert test to estrogen. That is why eggs with the yolks are one of the nest foods you can eat in order to combat that. They are full of choline to help strip the fat off your liver.

At our age nutrition is just as important and working out. I don't eat carbs except every now and then i will have a salad but otherwise. I get most of my nutrition through food. I do not take protein shakes and try and eat about 150-200 grams of protein a day.

And don't believe what they tell us about red meat it isn't going to kill you in fact it will help you feel better than you ever feel. I stay away from chicken and pork mostly because of what they feed those animals. I eat mostly grass feed beef and a lot of fish and seafood.

I am no expert and learned all this the hard way...tried to save my mom and dad before they passed but it didn't do much good because they believed only what the doctors tell them.

But i tried.

America is built around killing us and using the medical field to keep us alive so they can steal as much money as they can before we die.

Same with pharmaceuticals there is no money in curing anything anymore but there is in giving you a pill for the the rest of your life to keep you alive like a legal drug pusher.

The world needs to wake up and think about what they are putting in their mouths if you research it it is eye opening.

An way i won't hi jack this thread anymore sorry Bobby...

that pretty good stuff and i appreciate it

get a Mod in here to start a new thread for this

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

But, yet again, when his main issue is his skating speed, he doesn't want to(and shouldn't) bulk up much more than 10 or so lbs from where his current playing weight is.

This is way over blown any ways.

Smaller players have played and have played well in this league.

But what is needed is smart to know how to go into the boards in puck battles as just one instance. 

Having your head on a swivel...so just smarts and having your head on a swivel while you are try to play to the best of your abilities because i don't care how big you are anything can truck you when you don't see it coming.

I never played hockey but have played football and been hit and dealt hits and never once and i worried if i was heavy helping either way as long as i know it is coming. 

Concussions are real. Thankfully i have never suffered from one but it only take one time and anyone is like Nolan Patrick never the same.

Brink plays with smarts i am going to record the game tonight and watch it no matter what it may he had hit a wall there in the college playoffs. 

I do not want to do to much phycological damage to these kids the remainder of the year.

I would love to see Sandstrom tonight.

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

adding muscle weight(lighter) instead of that body fat weight(heavier).  Obviously.

except that muscle weighs more than fat.

edit: going by density. Muscle is more dense so it takes less of it to weigh 1lb compared to fat.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is way over blown any ways.

Smaller players have played and have played well in this league.

But what is needed is smart to know how to go into the boards in puck battles as just one instance. 

Having your head on a swivel...so just smarts and having your head on a swivel while you are try to play to the best of your abilities because i don't care how big you are anything can truck you when you don't see it coming.

I never played hockey but have played football and been hit and dealt hits and never once and i worried if i was heavy helping either way as long as i know it is coming. 

Concussions are real. Thankfully i have never suffered from one but it only take one time and anyone is like Nolan Patrick never the same.

Brink plays with smarts i am going to record the game tonight and watch it no matter what it may he had hit a wall there in the college playoffs. 

I do not want to do to much phycological damage to these kids the remainder of the year.

I would love to see Sandstrom tonight.

I'm pretty sure you'd get sent to prison if you threw a hit like that today.....I remember that one well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Thanks for the link, and it's good to hear them admit they've been going about things the wrong way. Gritty was fine as a mascot, but he became the face of the team which was ridiculous. They've totally lost me as a fan this season...first time in my life I didn't care about NHL hockey. 

Still, this thing isn't going to get any better until they get management that knows wtf they're doing. If these guys were selling Teslas they'd have gas pumps installed out front. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Didn’t they commission a statue of Ed and put it near the Rocky statue at the museum? Or am I confusing that with someone else?

Anyway was what they did before the Rangers game the first on-ice tribute the Flyers did for Ed Snider and his family? I can’t believe that. I must’ve missed it. They must’ve done something shortly after he passed away. 

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Didn’t they commission a statue of Ed and put it near the Rocky statue at the museum? Or am I confusing that with someone else?

Anyway was what they did before the Rangers game the first on-ice tribute the Flyers did for Ed Snider and his family? I can’t believe that. I must’ve missed it. They must’ve done something shortly after he passed away. 

I can't say for sure on either.

Forgot all about GIYF…

From an Oct. 19, 2017 story on nhl.com…

On Thursday, the Flyers and Comcast Spectator honored the family patriarch with the dedication of a nine-foot bronze statue in front of the Wells Fargo Center.

So there’s that anyway.

29 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

On Thursday, the Flyers and Comcast Spectator honored the family patriarch with the dedication of a nine-foot bronze statue in front of the Wells Fargo Center.

Was the statue of Homer and Clarke?

On 4/11/2022 at 12:42 PM, mojo1917 said:

It will be interesting to see where Bobby Brink fits in all this.

Cheated.

Dryden McKay, reigning Hobey Baker Award winner, banned for six months due to doping violation

dryden-mckay-getty.jpg.cb75f2c7dd8492620dbe738f0e1999f3.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/dryden-mckay-reigning-hobey-baker-award-winner-banned-for-six-months-due-to-doping-violation/

Give Bobby his damn trophy!!!!

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Cheated.

Dryden McKay, reigning Hobey Baker Award winner, banned for six months due to doping violation

dryden-mckay-getty.jpg.cb75f2c7dd8492620dbe738f0e1999f3.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/dryden-mckay-reigning-hobey-baker-award-winner-banned-for-six-months-due-to-doping-violation/

Give Bobby his damn trophy!!!!

Wow.