Brink, Flyers ink ELC

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

With his weird skating stride and 5'9" frame I think he can maybe compare to Brad Marchand.

Marchand has continued to add muscle to his frame and is almost 190lbs.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think with good health and a commitment to training, Bobby could play really effectively around 180-185 also.

I don't know if he is an endo- or meso morph body type so there may be a point of diminishing return to strength training once he gets his "man weight". Which most likely won't take place until he's 23-25.

He needs to roid up and become a man immediately. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

If he can be a Giroux/Briere type of player that will be great.

As long as everyone tempers expectations it could take a while to feel comfortable in his skin in the NHL especially while this continues to purge the old and bring the new in. Especially in the hardest league in the world.

This isn't Connor Mcdavid the biggest key is just not to try and force things.

Take the game as it comes and just play instinctual. His linemates will be key too.

I am going to try and make time to sit and watch tonight.

All this depth at RW someone is getting traded.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

As long as everyone tempers expectations it could take a while to feel comfortable in his skin in the NHL especially while this continues to purge the old and bring the new in. Especially in the hardest league in the world.

This isn't Connor Mcdavid the biggest key is just not to try and force things.

Take the game as it comes and just play instinctual. His linemates will be key too.

I am going to try and make time to sit and watch tonight.

All this depth at RW someone is getting traded.

I would think we probably would draft a LW or Center this year since RW is overloaded. Other than Ratcliffe we don't have many scoring LW prospects. At center we have Frost and O'Brian ,two offensive guys that are not very big. Maybe we draft Geekie or the big LW Slavofsky. At least we have some good young players that are actually contributing right away,  it gives us a reason to watch the last ten games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I would think we probably would draft a LW or Center this year since RW is overloaded. Other than Ratcliffe we don't have many scoring LW prospects. At center we have Frost and O'Brian ,two offensive guys that are not very big. Maybe we draft Geekie or the big LW Slavofsky. At least we have some good young players that are actually contributing right away,  it gives us a reason to watch the last ten games.

Noah Cates is a LW and Olle Lycksell should be coming over any day to join the Phantoms for a playoff push so some more depth on the way.

But yeah they could use some more depth at LW that is why they are going after Johnny Hockey.

29 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

The more I read about and watch Savoie play the more I like him. Kid has some serious offensive skill. Something the Flyers are lacking. Kids like Geekie seem to take a long time to develop. That's kind of always been the draw back of drafting a big forward. I don't believe Slavofsky will be around for the Flyers to draft. He's been moving up the draft board rankings. Even pushing Wright for first over all.  They really need to get this draft right.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

The more I read about and watch Savoie play the more I like him. Kid has some serious offensive skill.

Yeah i ask JR about him in a proposed trade earlier in the year because they own his rights.

But that was kind of before he blew up and now well his value has went up i want him to pair with Brink because they play together on the same line.

7 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

I don't believe Slavofsky will be around for the Flyers to draft.

And no he will be off the board with 3rd or 4th pick. I posted this in the 2022 draft thread i started the other day.

1 hour ago, albertaflyer said:

The more I read about and watch Savoie play the more I like him. Kid has some serious offensive skill. Something the Flyers are lacking. Kids like Geekie seem to take a long time to develop. That's kind of always been the draw back of drafting a big forward. I don't believe Slavofsky will be around for the Flyers to draft. He's been moving up the draft board rankings. Even pushing Wright for first over all.  They really need to get this draft right.  

Savoie looks real good, but I figured we might go for a bigger player since our top two center prospects are finesse guys and not very big. Hopefully we finish no higher than fourth , so we have more options. 

29 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

dreams might be a little lofty. 

Not a damn thing wrong with that dreams should always be lofty...find me someone who dreams of being ok and i'll show you a fool.

There will be plenty of time to critize every mistake he makes later. Stop and smell the roses sometime.

I don't follow baseball but i do follow Philly sports...

...and i get this kid's frustration with Philly. The fans man the fans.

:beer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not a damn thing wrong with that dreams should always be lofty...find me someone who dreams of being ok and i'll show you a fool.

There will be plenty of time to critize every mistake he makes later. Stop and smell the roses sometime.

lol, I did say I hope he's good. 

You don't really expect people to get excited about this team before seeing anything first hand any more do you? That'd be delusional. 

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

You don't really expect people to get excited about this team before seeing anything first hand any more do you?

No i expect people to do whatever they feel is right at the time. No one way to feel either way.

Myself??? I'm water.

Be water my friend.

:cheers:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

So I guess the team is teetering on the Brink now?

idk, I hope the kid does good but I think these Briere/Marchand dreams might be a little lofty. 

We will see, I hope he's the best version of himself he can be. 

When I was bringing up Marchand I was thinking about his body frame.

...and weird skating stride, Marchand isn't winning and beauty contests there, but he gets to where he needs to and apparently Brink does that as well.

Marchand is not tall but he's pretty thick and has managed to be a good player in the league for a long time. 

I wasn't meaning to completely compare Brink's game to 63's I don't think they play a similar style. 

It was more, "well here's a short dude who's doing pretty good". 

If Bobby winds up in the middle six I think that's a win.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Savoie looks real good, but I figured we might go for a bigger player since our top two center prospects are finesse guys and not very big. Hopefully we finish no higher than fourth , so we have more options. 

You don't go for the bigger player, you go for the guy you think is going to be the best in the draft at where you're picking. Holmgren and Fletcher would take the bigger player. Don't be Homer and Chuckles.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He's already a MUCH better player with the puck than Marchand is. 

Put Marchand in college and see how he looks with the puck.

Brink is not much better than Marchand already. He does look like a steal of a 2nd rounder...which makes you wonder wtf these idiots keep throwing them away. 

2 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Really not a dream here.  Just a build type and playmaker type comparison.  Briere was a better skater than Brink is.  But, there's a lot of similarity to them when the puck is on their stick.  And Brink is a better defensive forward than Briere was.

He's already a MUCH better player with the puck than Marchand is.  And, Marchand is at a playing weight of ~180lbs.   Brink is believed to be at 165-170 during the NCAA championship(above his eliteprospects.com listed weight).  So, again, expecting more than about 10 lbs or so on his frame from professional training isn't really realistic.  As long as he converts some body fat weight into muscle weight, he'll be just fine.  And, again, a Briere type playmaker when the puck is on his stick.

Again, not expecting him to be Briere or anyone else besides himself.  I would like him to shoot a bit more often though.

Matt Savoie would fill the sniper/finisher role that this team BADLY needs.

I think you've forgotten that it took a LOT for Briere to just stay in the league. He was waived at an earlier point and sort of dumped onto Buffalo who took a chance and ended up winning. When he came here he'd already muscled up big time and learned how to make his size work. Guy trained like a fanatic. 

My point being yes, a smaller guy can become great, but it likely will take time and he will have to really work for it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Didn't really "muscle up". 

Well he didn't "muscle up" weight wise per se but he got stronger.

Also changed his offseason workout regime by working with strongman Hugo Girard and well Yotes jumped the gun and as soon as he improved his play some with a solid year the shipped him out has they waited they may have got more for him.

But what changed him is when they waived him and no one claimed him that is what woke him up and he sought out Girard and well the rest is history.

And if i remember correctly Danny got Claude to work with Hugo some too when he lived with Danny which helped him a lot.

29 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He was certainly never going to win any "strongman" competitions like Girard. 

Yeah I doubt he had intentions of that but usually hockey players strength come from below and with Girard he learned the importance of upper body as well as core strength which tie it all together.

As far as Brink I would even get so caught up in what he weighs so much because there are so many players who have learned to play in the NHL his size and smaller he will just learn how to protect himself and avoid some contact.

It comes with the transition from boy to manhood. 

Ask Travis Sanheim about Nathan Gerber

He'll never live that down.

But many forget dynamite comes in small packages.

Brink will be fine. And I am not saying you are saying he won't just going along with what you are saying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

You are correct.  However, Briere was right around the weight that Brink is now.  What Briere really worked on was becoming a more balanced player when it came to shooting and playmaking.  He was much more interested in passing the puck early in his career.  And worked hard to change that.  Worked hard on his draw skill also.  Both made him a better player.  Didn't really "muscle up".  Lol.  He was a tough little S.O.B.  But, he wasn't really considered to be "muscled up big time".

But yes, you are ABSOLUTELY right that smaller players need to find ways to make their size work at the NHL level.  And Briere realized he couldn't just be the "playmaker" type that he was early in his career.  Something that I'd like to see Brink work on balancing out also.  I believe he'll need to shoot the puck more often than he's normally comfortable doing.

Not exactly true. There was a feature on him back then regarding his summer work out routine. Flipping over giant tractor tires and pulling these concrete sleds with some iron man world's strongest man type dude. He definitely muscled up for his frame. 

13 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You don't go for the bigger player, you go for the guy you think is going to be the best in the draft at where you're picking. Holmgren and Fletcher would take the bigger player. Don't be Homer and Chuckles.

Yes but we haven’t been very good at picking who we think is the best player . I’m saying if you have two or three guys that are close in talent , then we go for a big skilled player. Holmgren and Clarke picked big unskilled players over small skilled players .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

He was able to turn body fat into muscle,

You know this isn't possible, right?

I've seen you type statments similar to this many times, perhaps as a colloquialism?

Fat is fat.

Muscle is muscle.

You can make the muscle larger, and also decrease the size of the fat cell via exercise and diet. 

One does not turn into the other. 

Adding 10 lbs of muscle to a frame isn't difficult today. 

Physics determines whether the increases in muscle mass translates into better performance.

Sometimes the weight from extra muscle inhibits the athlete's explosiveness and quickness.

Modern physical training is so much better today than even 15 years ago. Occasionally we would see a guy fall in love with the way his biceps look and it hurts his play. Modern sport specific training helps that to happen less.