Brink, Flyers ink ELC

Brink signs contract with Flyers, led NCAA in scoring

Forward was Hobey Baker finalist, helped Denver win ninth national championship

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 3:32 PM
  •  
cut.jpg

Bobby Brink signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday.

"This is such a storied organization, so much history," Brink said. "I couldn't be happier to be joining the Flyers."

The 20-year-old forward's contract begins this season. The Flyers (23-38-11) have 10 games remaining and are eliminated from Stanley Cup Playoff contention.

"We're very excited to have Bobby under contract after an outstanding career in college hockey that concluded with a National Championship," Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher said. "Bobby possesses a high compete level combined with terrific hockey sense and offensive skill that has led him to succeed at every level he has played in his young career."

Brink, a junior from the University of Denver, was selected in the second round (No. 34) of the 2019 NHL Draft. Brink led the NCAA with 57 points (14 goals, 43 assists) in 41 games this season. He was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award voted as the top men's player in NCAA ice hockey, won by Minnesota State goalie Dryden McKay. University of Minnesota forward Ben Meyers was the other finalist.

Denver defeated Minnesota State 5-1 on Saturday to win the NCAA Division I men's hockey championship for the ninth time in the program's history, tying Michigan's NCAA record.

"Awesome. It was pretty surreal," Brink said. "Such a close team at Denver, the program was awesome. I loved every second of my 3 years there. So, super special to cap it off with a win."

Brink led the nation in assists (43) and was first in the country with a 1.44 points-per game average. He scored 35 points (nine goals, 26 assists) during conference play, the most in the NCHC.

In three seasons with Denver, Brink scored 93 points (27 goals, 66 assists) in 84 games (1.10 points-per game). He scored six points (two goals, four assists) in seven game to help the United States win the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Look forward to seeing him in the orange and black.

Nick Seeler you're on notice you going to have to give that #24, it looks better on a forward anyways.

I'm sure he will skate with whatever rookie number he was wearing at camp they usually don't pick their number till they start the new year and they make the team.

Brink will do Sami Kapanen proud.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I haven't been following the team at all

Has the Allison kid recovered? Is York playing? 

Allison is in the AHL playing trying to get them into the playoffs...they have actually fought back and are only 4 points out side the playoffs with games to go. They should be adding another player or too coming over form the SHL. Lycksell is one i know of that is coming over.

Will they make it?? Maybe i think they will need some help getting in...the Flyer way right.

York has been playing on the top pair and actually learning how to play the right side and it has seem to help Ivan a lot.

He has 3 goals and 2 assist in the last 5 games. So i guess this experiment will continue for the rest of the season.

Never saw that coming and it has been impressive for the young defenseman.

Already at practice no time to celebrate a National title he is ready to work...

Wow Brink has already pushed Konecny to his off wing...

...with Allison waiting in the wing the next step might be pushing Konecny out the door.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Wow.... Really?! That's "encouraging"....

I can't wait till Sept, when I can see what the "new Flyers" are gonna look like....

Yes the kids are the only thing that keep me interested in this club. I sure hope they plan to move on from JVR in the offseason - either thru trade or buy out. It is time to cut him loose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It is time to cut him loose.

It was time the LAST time they cut him loose....

(F*ING floater...I'd like to take that neon green mouth guard and shove it up his......!)

Yeah, he has NO place on this team moving forward!

• Like 4

Just now, MaineFlyFan said:

It was time the LAST time they cut him loose....

(F*ING floater...I'd like to take that neon green mouth guard and shove it up his......!)

Yeah, he has NO place on this team moving forward!

Maybe they can ship him to the Yotes to join Ghost they are always looking to get to the salary cap floor and maybe you sweeten it for them to take on the whole cap hit....fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I haven't been following the team at all

Has the Allison kid recovered? Is York playing? 

Allison is scoring the kind of goals you haven't seen since Tim Kerr and John LeClair,  he has a quick accurate shot and a nose for the net.  We finally have some pure shooters like Allison, Brink , Tippett and Foerester , so next year when we have a real coach I think you will see a big improvement on the PP, especially with York and Sanheim quarterbacking the PP. Frost is also starting to show some top notch play making ability. 

• Like 1

Tippett has been fun to watch, Frost is starting to become the man, he's looked faster and more confident with the puck and making plays. Cates is surprisingly strong along the walls and seems to be in all the plays when he's on the ice. Konecny has been more involved, Hayes has been pretty good everywhere but the FO circle, his injury was really hampering him. Attard seems to get better each time I see him play. 

It will be interesting to see where Bobby Brink fits in all this.

Some of these NCAA players have injected some life into the line-up. 

All of the sudden the future isn't looking so bleak, it seems to me like there are a couple of players that can become quality depth players as their floor, maybe even some middle six contributors in Brink and Cates ? 

I know everything sucks, but these young guys are pretty frisky.

I can see where if some decent moves are made and a coach comes in with a quality message/system this team could improve,quite a bit.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Tippett has been fun to watch, Frost is starting to become the man, he's looked faster and more confident with the puck and making plays. Cates is surprisingly strong along the walls and seems to be in all the plays when he's on the ice. Konecny has been more involved, Hayes has been pretty good everywhere but the FO circle, his injury was really hampering him. Attard seems to get better each time I see him play. 

Some of these NCAA players have injected some life into the line-up. 

All of the sudden the future isn't looking so bleak, it seems to me like there are a couple of players that can become quality depth players as their floor, maybe even some middle six contributors in Brink and Cates ? 

I know everything sucks, but these young guys are pretty frisky.

I can see where if some decent moves are made and a coach comes in with a quality message/system this team could improve,quite a bit.

I can see Brink or Foerester on the left side in Girouxs old spot on the PP.  I agree with you on the college guys. I've noticed that there are lots of good college players being picked in the later rounds ,not only by the Flyers but league wide. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

this team could improve,quite a bit.

So you mean back to the 1st round playoff exits?!....Yahoo!

(Sorry.... ) 😉

I agree though, future looks better. I don't expect a "Stanley cup contender" next year.... I'd simply be happy with a CONTENDER.... ya know, during the regular season!!! A team that is actually fun to watch and TRIES!

(You listening JVR.....and Fletcher?)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

And Desnoyers, Wisdom and McClennon too who is having an outstanding year in the WHL too kinda the under the radar 6th round pick too.

If feels like it is just time to slowly unload as many vets as they can and transition these kid in.

Will be key to find a good coach who can coach them up.

It is in fact paramount. Not all the kids make it but the more you the higher your chances are of getting a return on investments.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MaineFlyFan said:

I agree though, future looks better. I don't expect a "Stanley cup contender" next year.... I'd simply be happy with a CONTENDER.... ya know, during the regular season!!! A team that is actually fun to watch and TRIES!

Like you, I'd like to be entertained by the game the team plays.

I don't think any reasonable minded person is expecting cup or bust next year.

But better than the 21/22 **** show... absolutely. Make the playoffs ? maybe.

The key for me will be, if improvements are made that they can be built upon. 

I'd take a first-round playoff exit happily with the caveat that progress is being made. 

I felt like there might be something to build upon after Vigneault's first year- Too bad that was really fool's gold and then a **** storm of terrible luck.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

You know i didn't even think about this until @Jimtown guy brought this up but they beat 

#3 seed Umass (2021 Champ) 

#2 seed Minnesota-Duluth,

#1 see Michigan

#1 seed Minnesota St. to win it all.

That my friend is impressive as hell. Talk about running a gauntlet.

Thanks for the thought Jim. Hopefully all this bares fruit in the NHL.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

:cheers:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Just going by his numbers and reading about him it looks to me like Brink is more of a setup guy than a goal scorer. 

Maybe a Giroux like type set man.

Good to have in the fold for now.

Now I have to watch the Caps game.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes it’ll be interesting to see him going against the big boys in the NHL. Brink is pretty small for the NHL, at least right now. Hopefully he fills out and adds some bulk and muscle in the next couple years. 

Yeah it is a step up level wise but not quite like going from juniors to the NHL at least in college he is playing against 23 and 24 year olds.

So it shouldn't be that big of a shock to the system as long as he continues to play smart and not to try and do to much to impress.

With his weird skating stride and 5'9" frame I think he can maybe compare to Brad Marchand.

Marchand has continued to add muscle to his frame and is almost 190lbs.

I don't think it is unreasonable to think with good health and a commitment to training, Bobby could play really effectively around 180-185 also.

I don't know if he is an endo- or meso morph body type so there may be a point of diminishing return to strength training once he gets his "man weight". Which most likely won't take place until he's 23-25.