Race for Wright…..

pilldoc

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Like I said, it's not nothing. Your point it taken and I agree with it.

You will also have 2/3 of a line's worth of 3rd rounders in that same time period. Correct?

Actually I thought the 34% was high, I thought it was closer to 25%, so that was a good learning for me. Even if those 2nd round guys don't make the NHL they can still contribute to the depth of the organization.

That is all understood from my spot. 

I think when used properly a 2nd round pick can be a great deal sweetener.

I don't think not having a second pick for 9 years is a good idea.

And as a side note look at what Sakic did in Colorado alone the last time they trade a 1st round pick??

Was way back in 2012...that is how you build a great foundation through the draft.

And they did move some 2nd round picks up in that same time span they also used 8 2nd round picks to further build the team up.

Amazing what can be done with good scouting and not always going for it.

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

anyone talking about the big D-man out of the Q, Maveric Lamoureaux? I got interested seeing his size, tracked down some videos. He's 6'7" 197lbs and skates well, not just "for a big man" but he skates well. In interviews he says he likes using his size to hit, knock guys off the puck.

I'm partial to big D-men. If they're good players they can anchor an NHL team even on a 3rd pair. There's no substitute for BIG, STRONG and WILLING to use it in games. Looks to me like this kid has that character.

So I was just curious if anyone's seen him play? Watched his career? Any thoughts?

You can't teach size.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Always important to have goals....

Atkinson is valuable as a trade chip. He is a diminishing asset. The longer you wait the less his value is. As is Coots and Hayes and Ellis, if they all return to health. That is the reality. Its not personal. They will be past their best before date when and if the team is rebuilt properly. 

37 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Atkinson is valuable as a trade chip. He is a diminishing asset. The longer you wait the less his value is. As is Coots and Hayes and Ellis, if they all return to health. That is the reality. Its not personal. They will be past their best before date when and if the team is rebuilt properly. 

Yeah at this point i can't say much about moving any vet the kids depending on who it is i would prefer to hold onto...unless wowed.

Atkinson yes, diminishing value as we speak. Hayes don’t get me started. But Couturier embodies everything I like in pro hockey players and like fine wine I think he’ll only improve with age. Not necessarily point production but the whole leadership by example thing…every team needs at least one preferably a few who’ve grown up in the organization, home town favorites that put asses in the seats and are truly appreciated by the rest of the team.

That doesn’t mean I think he’s fading as a player. Not yet. I expect he’ll be in the Selke conversation a few more years at least…assuming he comes back 100%. To trade Couturier the offer would have to be too good to refuse.

8 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Anyone can see this, except Flyer management. Atkinson could have brought in a good haul at the deadline, but this team is built around BFFs, not winning. 

I don't think the Flyers have ever had a player in his prime. Seems like they could draft a guy, sign him to his first contract, and he's immediately in decline

Kinda like when you buy a car. The second you drive it off the lot, it starts depreciating 

Unless its a Lexus

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I don't think the Flyers have ever had a player in his prime. Seems like they could draft a guy, sign him to his first contract, and he's immediately in decline

Kinda like when you buy a car. The second you drive it off the lot, it starts depreciating 

Unless its a Lexus

Or a Lumina....it already depreciated before you drove it off the lot.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Unless its a Lexus

well there's obviously a few exceptions ...

But yeah the Flyers really seem to specialize in trading for players when they're on their downside...and now we have a GM who not only goes after them but overpays them as well. But hey at least they're all best buddies. Ugh.

• Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But yeah the Flyers really seem to specialize in trading for players when they're on their downside...

Or holding on to them for too long, thinking they are contending:  Simmons, Giroux, now Couts.

It would be great if the Flyers got the first pick, and one would think, thusly...Wright (of course). However, they don't have a ton of can't misses in their system, so they'd better be correct on more than just Wright. Wright isn't a generational, franchise changing talent, like a McDavid, Matthews or Crosby.  If not, than Wright will be Wrong for them.

18 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

It would be great if the Flyers got the first pick, and one would think, thusly...Wright (of course). However, they don't have a ton of can't misses in their system, so they'd better be correct on more than just Wright. Wright isn't a generational, franchise changing talent, like a McDavid, Matthews or Crosby.  If not, than Wright will be Wrong for them.

He's still the easiest pick at #1 this year. But it certainly doesn't mean he'll be the best player in the draft. 

So ya...it's one of those years the Flyers are likely to win the lottery. 

• Uggh... 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:00 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

anyone talking about the big D-man out of the Q, Maveric Lamoureaux? I got interested seeing his size, tracked down some videos. He's 6'7" 197lbs and skates well, not just "for a big man" but he skates well. In interviews he says he likes using his size to hit, knock guys off the puck.

I'm partial to big D-men. If they're good players they can anchor an NHL team even on a 3rd pair. There's no substitute for BIG, STRONG and WILLING to use it in games. Looks to me like this kid has that character.

So I was just curious if anyone's seen him play? Watched his career? Any thoughts?

I like Lamoureaux, but he's a late first rounder, I'd guess somewhere around 25 to 30ish. He's one of those 3-4 year development guys but in time could be very good. If we'd traded some players for late round picks he'd be a solid addition but we didn't do that.

Where we pick, around 5 maybe, Nemec or Jirichek would be better if you want D. 

• Good Post 1

19 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Man just thinking of trying to tank and i look at the standings and i'm like damn just what in the fcuk is New Jersey doing talk about a club propped up by a goalie they haven't been relevant since Marty left.

And they are still worse than the Flyers and they have a solid pick in Hughes. SMH.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

But it certainly doesn't mean he'll be the best player in the draft.

Oh we know one thing we all already know who ever the Flyer pick at number one will need to work on something and then eventually blow an ACL or Achilles and be garbage for ever more if not just out right suck without even an injury....doomed.

I'm thirsty....theres that bottle.

Might watch a little tonight if i am feeling a little to good about myself.

Watch Jake score two goals and an assist you know former players and all see 5 goal Wayne Simmonds who Scott Laughton has more goals than both combined this year.

Later

:beer:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man just thinking of trying to tank and i look at the standings and i'm like damn just what in the fcuk is New Jersey doing talk about a club propped up by a goalie they haven't been relevant since Marty left.

And they are still worse than the Flyers and they have a solid pick in Hughes. SMH.

They've got 5 top 10 picks in the last few years including 2-1st overalls. They also have a very good goalie in Mackenzie Blackwood, who I've heard isn't very happy with the way he's being treated in Jersey. I haven't seen a ton of him since he left junior, but he was one of the best goalies the Colts have ever had, and we've had some good ones.

They've signed some high price UFAs there as well. Nothing seems to be working. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Full on tanking is a bad idea. Stripping away the rot is good and building with youth can work, but you need to build around a core of some sort. If you go right down to nothing there's too many holes to fill. 

drafts make or break teams and some of it is luck. 2017 Patrick seemed like a lottery win for us but in hindsight Makar or Heiskenan would have obviously served us better but who knew? Most people thought Patrick would be a great pick. 

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Nothing seems to be working. 

Yeah and i'm fine with them staying down here not the Flyers.

Something has to give or i have nothing but football to watch next year...

19 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

If you go right down to nothing there's too many holes to fill.

I am happy peeling JVR, Yandle, Connauton and Thompson off the roster for now.

Baby steps. Start there and let the backup job to Carter Hart be Sandstrom's to lose.

Sign Manson if you can. Or another stop gap defender what see what happens.

As i said the other day i full on expect them to go hard after Johnny Hockey.

Not sure they get him but i expect them to pursue him...if he makes it to the market.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

As i said the other day i full on expect them to go hard after Johnny Hockey.

Not sure they get him but i expect them to pursue him...if he makes it to the market.

Unfortunately, so do I.

Good player, but we'll end up getting him as his game starts to deteriorate (as usual) and he'll just help make us good enough to draft in the middle of the pack, and never good enough to win anything.