Race for Wright…..

pilldoc

Well….. never thought we would have a legit shot at Wright… BUT…. We do.

For those keeping score at home…

F27ADAAD-5AE8-46CA-979A-ACB2E35C3D29.thumb.jpeg.6ddeb082875e65509369ab7ee6f8e2a1.jpeg

Well the Flyers are only 6 points away from the absolute bottom. Of course we all know the Flyers are not allowed to have nice things. 😔

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

F27ADAAD-5AE8-46CA-979A-ACB2E35C3D29.thumb.jpeg.6ddeb082875e65509369ab7ee6f8e2a1.jpeg

Well the Flyers are only 6 points away from the absolute bottom. Of course we all know the Flyers are not allowed to have nice things. 😔

Flyers get first overall but don't draft Wright.  Fletcher picks..

smelly-cat-smelly-cat-what-are-they-feed

• Haha 3
  • Uggh... 1

13 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Well he isn't nowhere near a McDavid but some say he can be a Auston Matthews.

But they have to continue to dress the young lineup and let as many kids plays as they can.

One thing holding a lot back is remember they are only allowed 4 recalls till the end of the year unless emergency for illness or injury.

And i think they may have use a lot of that up or at least 3 of those moves. 

Let Yandle sit for good...well now that i think about Yandle would actually help them loose more i just can't standing seeing the 3 out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

then we too could pro-rate his stats!!!

lol….

all joking aside… a player similar to Matthews is not bad at all…..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let Yandle sit for good...well now that i think about Yandle would actually help them loose more i just can't standing seeing the 3 out there.

Yes, they should be playing Yandle. Double shift him. Hell just leave him out there for the whole game. Ironman, amirite?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I've never heard anyone compare him to Matthews. I think he's going to be a good player, but I don't think he's a 50 goal scorer. I'd still take him though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I've never heard anyone compare him to Matthews. I think he's going to be a good player, but I don't think he's a 50 goal scorer. I'd still take him though.

Yes. He comes across more as a high-end two-player than an elite shooter. Matthews just doesn't seem like a strong comparable to me at all.

• Like 1

https://thehockeywriters.com/shane-wright-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

NHL Potential

Wright has the potential to be very dangerous and a versatile two-way threat in the NHL. He’s a player that can play in any situation, handling top line minutes while being a staple on the first power play and penalty kill units. His IQ, work ethic, offensive potential and defensive awareness alone make him a top reliable centreman, similar to that of Patrice Bergeron.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

No I meant Matthews level

Like there are only 4 1st overalls for me.

Ovenchicken

Crosby

McDavid 

McKinnon 

And honestly McDavid is NHL #1 though.

In the NHL playing today.

Auston 1st overall is on the Tavarez level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

No I meant Matthews level

Like there are only 4 1st overalls for me.

Ovenchicken

Crosby

McDavid 

McKinnon 

And honestly McDavid is NHL #1 though.

In the NHL playing today.

Auston 1st overall is on the Tavarez level.

Ok, but I'd be happy with a Matthews level player. Cause the drop from the 4 that you mentioned to Matthews isn't as big as the drop from Matthews to our 2nd overall picks we've had.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, but I'd be happy with a Matthews level player. Cause the drop from the 4 that you mentioned to Matthews isn't as big as the drop from Matthews to our 2nd overall picks we've had.

Speaking of dropping, I wonder if anyone has done any analysis on the drop from the 2nd round to the 3rd or 4th? Asking for a friend.

Like, I know it becomes even more of a crapshoot, but I can't help but think that a decade of not having 2nd round picks, because you traded them for ham sandwiches, has to have a statistically significant impact on whether you have players in your organization that might be able to make a 3 foot pass and do some of the other things required of an NHL-calibre player. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Absolutely this team needs all the talent it can muster there is a lot of holes still to fill.

That is why i said Yandle might actually get them closer to landing him in the lineup than out of it.

But i just can't stand seeing the #3 out there skating backwards out there any longer...i just need to not watch but i was wanting to watch some of the new kids play but maybe shouldn't it will make me to mad.

56 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Speaking of dropping, I wonder if anyone has done any analysis on the drop from the 2nd round to the 3rd or 4th? Asking for a friend.

Like, I know it becomes even more of a crapshoot, but I can't help but think that a decade of not having 2nd round picks, because you traded them for ham sandwiches, has to have a statistically significant impact on whether you have players in your organization that might be able to make a 3 foot pass and do some of the other things required of an NHL-calibre player. 

It hurts big time.

That is one of the big flaws with this front office.

You see other teams move some 1st and 2nd round picks too but that is more when they have a good solid team and are a piece or two away and are going for it to take their shot at the Cup.

Homer's is using to build his team for pieces and he is eons from being close....philosophies and just to different from the Yzerman and Sakic philosophies.

And as others have said here countless times won't change till Homer is changed.

:bonkingheadonwall:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Speaking of dropping, I wonder if anyone has done any analysis on the drop from the 2nd round to the 3rd or 4th? Asking for a friend

Dobber says it's 34% chance for a second rounder to make the NHL. 27% in the 3rd

NHL Draft Pick Probabilities – DobberProspects

That isn't statistically insignificant nor is it a huge difference IMO. (not like the drop from 74& to 34%). It's close enough where if a team scouts the prospects well one could expect about the same result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Here are just a few 6th round picks in the NHL....

FPSiCzJXoAwcQ76.jpg.04d99c6461dec3028c761f49101a1065.jpg

So value can be found anywhere...but i guess you have to actually have the pick before it matters.

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, but I'd be happy with a Matthews level player.

I'd even be happy with a pick like this...

...Flyers need talent everywhere....on the bottom now and it is a long climb to the top!!!

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Dobber says it's 34% chance for a second rounder to make the NHL. 27% in the 3rd

NHL Draft Pick Probabilities – DobberProspects

That isn't statistically insignificant nor is it a huge difference IMO. (not like the drop from 74& to 34%). It's close enough where if a team scouts the prospects well one could expect about the same result.

So according to Dobber, every third second round pick makes it, every fourth 3rd rounder. If you trade 3 second rounders in a row you have lost an NHL player. Over 9 years that's a forward line. Significant when you are starved for talent. Even more significant when you are constantly choking on albatross contracts.

• Like 2

anyone talking about the big D-man out of the Q, Maveric Lamoureaux? I got interested seeing his size, tracked down some videos. He's 6'7" 197lbs and skates well, not just "for a big man" but he skates well. In interviews he says he likes using his size to hit, knock guys off the puck.

I'm partial to big D-men. If they're good players they can anchor an NHL team even on a 3rd pair. There's no substitute for BIG, STRONG and WILLING to use it in games. Looks to me like this kid has that character.

So I was just curious if anyone's seen him play? Watched his career? Any thoughts?

7 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

So according to Dobber, every third second round pick makes it, every fourth 3rd rounder. If you trade 3 second rounders in a row you have lost an NHL player. Over 9 years that's a forward line. Significant when you are starved for talent. Even more significant when you are constantly choking on albatross contracts.

Like I said, it's not nothing. Your point it taken and I agree with it.

You will also have 2/3 of a line's worth of 3rd rounders in that same time period. Correct?

Actually I thought the 34% was high, I thought it was closer to 25%, so that was a good learning for me. Even if those 2nd round guys don't make the NHL they can still contribute to the depth of the organization.

That is all understood from my spot. 

I think when used properly a 2nd round pick can be a great deal sweetener.

I don't think not having a second pick for 9 years is a good idea.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I'm partial to big D-men.

Uh yeah that doesn't read to well....

..but the wife said that is why she married me...

...and i here i was thinking it was for my money...

:63:

I'll show myself out.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Uh yeah that doesn't read to well....

..but the wife said that is why she married me...

...and i here i was thinking it was for my money...

:63:

I'll show myself out.

Duderino!

• Haha 1