Thoughts on Owen Tippet rumors

RonJeremy

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Well  this season the upper management has rationalized that injuries were the reason we were so horrible , even though it's way beyond that. Let's see what moves are made between the deadline and the off season. Next year If they play competitive hockey and just miss the playoffs, I think Schmuck is safe. If the teqm is absolutely horrible and quits for 10 games at a time again next year, then I really think Schmuck will be finished 

So you think Chuck gets promoted next year?

Tippett, my thoughts.

Very fast for a big guy, gets moving and continues to build speed. Loves to hit.

His Fenwick and Corsi are good, not great, about what you would expect from bottom six or more especially fourth line.

From the several times that I have watched him play he appears to have absolutely zero idea what to do with the puck on his stick. I dont think he could be trusted to play above the third line because of this, but rugged fast guys who might score 30-35 points a year while being decent in his own zone do have a value. I just think that is his ceiling, 3rd line responsible player who will be very streaky. He reminds me of Jason Williams if anyone remembers him. Colin Wilson who played a decade mostly as a third liner who scored a bit and hit a lot for the Preds comes to mind as well.  I think he will tease because he looks like a hockey player, and people will always want more but if you put him in the right organization and use him correctly and dont ask too much he has a definite value. 

35 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I know you're joking.

Smart man yeah just making a funny about what I posted somewhere around here that was the new excuse for the Flyers bad luck that Chris Therien started not sure which thread I posted it in I'll see if I can find it.

25 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Nope, from around here somewhere.

Peterborough. 

Well you know the rules. No dice.

:BrownBag:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The difference between winning and losing in the NHL is pretty slim. Even when this team was down 10 NHL players and really playing like dogshit, they had opportunities to win many of the games they played.

Another thing about the NHL - and we can recall it from when the Flyers we're good - is the tendency to play down to the opponent, especially teams far below in the standings. And, conversely, for the far below team to pick up their game against the better team.

My issue is conflating those tendencies to "a few pieces away." You know I agree that 14 and 94 would have made a difference. That's different from an actually competitive team in a 7 game playoff situation. Even when they were "top seed" they had three OT wins against the Isles but were held to 3 goals in the other four games and we're shutout twice, including the infamous Game 7.

That's the kind of thing that can skew a perspective - like losing in 7 to the Cup Finalist Rangers was "a good sign" eight years ago.

And the other point - "playing like dogshit" - is one I don't see, for example, in the Sabres. That team plays well, but lacks talent. And even then they can surprise a team and blow out the Leaves in Tronno (see above about NHL regular season tendencies). Does that mean the Sabres are competitive in a seven game context with Tronno? Not really. (That said, Tronno is eminently capable of losing that series).

And that can also get into the mindset of players. Provorov recently said during the six game losing streak they "deserved better." This is a team with two 10+ losing streaks in the midst of a six game losing streak and the mentality is that they "deserved better"?

The team has spent 10 years always believing they "deserved better."

They don't. I get the concept of looking for positives. But they don't "deserve" better - they have to EARN better.

It's why the whole "definitely a playoff team" mentality has bugged me. They're NOT definitely a playoff team. They haven't been. They've had to WORK to get there and not feel entitled to it.

I want to see 14 & 94 back on the ice. But they need more if they're going to be more than the middling bubble almost a playoff team they've been.

They need a new mentality.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

12 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Tippett, my thoughts.

Very fast for a big guy, gets moving and continues to build speed. Loves to hit.

His Fenwick and Corsi are good, not great, about what you would expect from bottom six or more especially fourth line.

From the several times that I have watched him play he appears to have absolutely zero idea what to do with the puck on his stick. I dont think he could be trusted to play above the third line because of this, but rugged fast guys who might score 30-35 points a year while being decent in his own zone do have a value. I just think that is his ceiling, 3rd line responsible player who will be very streaky. He reminds me of Jason Williams if anyone remembers him. Colin Wilson who played a decade mostly as a third liner who scored a bit and hit a lot for the Preds comes to mind as well.  I think he will tease because he looks like a hockey player, and people will always want more but if you put him in the right organization and use him correctly and dont ask too much he has a definite value. 

Thanks for the scouting report.

This is not encouraging so I am going to need another better player or prospect for Giroux rental or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I have a feeling Clarke or Homer are gonna retire and they will move Schmuck upstairs and Briere will take over. Not sure if it's after this season or next, but that's the feeling I get.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Tippett, my thoughts.

We are a team full of third liners playing first and second line. I sure hope we can do better than Tippett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I know you're joking.

That long dead, old hag has nothing to do with anything

Here. Enjoy...

Because it can never just be hey the players have to coach up just ain't good enough...

• Uggh... 1

10 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I have a feeling Clarke or Homer are gonna retire and they will move Schmuck upstairs and Briere will take over. Not sure if it's after this season or next, but that's the feeling I get.

Don't threaten me like this.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1

A month ago I was anxious to see what the trade deadline would bring. Now I anticipate it with a sense of foreboding. All the rumors and blogs I read say the same thing. Chuckles is looking for a quick turnaround. I will be stunned if he doesn't get bent over the back of the couch.

10 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

A month ago I was anxious to see what the trade deadline would bring. Now I anticipate it with a sense of foreboding. All the rumors and blogs I read say the same thing. Chuckles is looking for a quick turnaround. I will be stunned if he doesn't get bent over the back of the couch.

I'm fully confident if Chuckie sells off all valuable prospects and draft picks he could have us back to mediocre by next season!

On 3/8/2022 at 12:35 PM, flyercanuck said:

What you know/think about Serron Noel as part of the trade for Braun if that is who they are after??

RW 6-5 220 will be 22 by the start of next season. 2nd round pick in 2018.

He was way more productive for Oshawa than 1st pick Scott Laughton ever was.

If you can put him on a line with Radcliff that would be some damn big wingers to work with.

26 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What you know/think about Serron Noel as part of the trade for Braun if that is who they are after??

RW 6-5 220 will be 22 by the start of next season. 2nd round pick in 2018.

He was way more productive for Oshawa than 1st pick Scott Laughton ever was.

If you can put him on a line with Radcliff that would be some damn big wingers to work with.

Always like Noel as a junior. Beast in front of the net (obviously) but also put in the dirty work in the corners. He can move for a big man too. But I haven't seen how he's come along for the past few years.

Laughton doesn't get credit for how good he was the the Gennies. He was asked to play everywhere and he did it. I really thought he'd be a better NHLer but he certainly wasn't a bust at 20th overall. He's had a better career than most taken after him.

• Like 1

When does Philly get a Paul Holmgren statue?

The guy has been a major influence on driving bringing fans to the Eagles/76ers/Phillies/Union and what is becoming my personal favorite...the Philadelphia Cricket Club. 

• Haha 1