Nolan Patrick got laid out by McKinnon last night

RonJeremy

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Patrick took a shoulder to the head last night and did not return. 

Well this kid might as well hand it up....seems to be a bullseye on his back and it always seems to be getting assassinated when it happens...

He'll be done till this time next year...

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well this kid might as well hand it up....seems to be a bullseye on his back and it always seems to be getting assassinated when it happens...

Some guys just don't have any luck with injuries/ailments. I just cant figure out why in the 70s-80s when no one wore helmets and the equipment was flimsy, it seemed that there were less injuries. Fighting is all but gone, hitting, cross checking and slashing is nothing like the old days but guys are always hurt.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Some guys just don't have any luck with injuries/ailments. I just cant figure out why in the 70s-80s when no one wore helmets and the equipment was flimsy, it seemed that there were less injuries. Fighting is all but gone, hitting, cross checking and slashing is nothing like the old days but guys are always hurt.

Because those guys just come up differently times were tougher and created tougher men.

Like the old saying goes tough times create tough men, tough men create easy times, easy times created softer men, softer men create harder times, harder times create tougher men.

So it is a life cycle and we are in the time men like myself and you (and other old farts around here) and my father and your father have been through the tough times, survived and have turned them into easy times and RIGHT NOW we are seeing the harvest of those easy times - all your soy boys soft whiny and self entitled who are everywhere now, wants to be the boss but doesn't want to earn anything they wanted it handed to them.

The sad part is my daughter is going to have to find a man to marry amongst all these pu$$ies (in about 15-20 years) and well she might be better off just being a lesbian...lawd help us.

:beer:  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

And when you get hit by it, it's unforgiving.

Yes you are right but it is the kids who wear it that have been altered and changed forever. 

We all grew up with the mentality rub some dirt on it and get back out there culture.

Now everyone has to lay on the ice now for all the added drama (sure some times are legit) and be out for long periods of time and well that is just where we today and if you tell  them to walk it off you're an insensitive prick by others you have no compassion and all that nonsense.

I think about all the stupid stuff we did on bikes for instance jumping ramps and ditches on bikes and all the crashes we had on pavement sometimes and the road rash we would get and keep on riding around all bloodied up because we thought it was cool and we were tough as nails.

Now a days the kid in my neighborhood crash in the streets on their bikes and that is it they are done for the day mom comes running out the house and ends it all.

#softerbytheday

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now a days the kid in my neighborhood crash in the streets on their bikes and that is it they are done for the day mom comes running out the house and ends it all.

I thought they only rode video game bikes.

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I thought they only rode video game bikes.

Oh no mine will actually go out and ride around for a little while because when i'm home i make them the issue is it is for only about 30-45 minutes then they have to come in because it is either too cold 40-50 degrees or too hot 75-85 - soft as baby shat in a new born babie's diaper....

...and when i try some tough love with my daughter the wife always jumps in and tells me i am being to tough on her she is a girl....so yeah unless you want to argue all day just let em have their way.

#cantwinnomatterwhat

:rage:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow!!

Cheap shot....should be a suspedable offence not?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

It's because, like you said, the equipment was flimsy. Elbow pads were leather. Shoulder pads were plastic and felt. Now guys have armor on. And when you get hit by it, it's unforgiving. 

Spot on.  On top of that, the players wearing those plastic and felt pads were a lot smaller for the most part.  Probably slower, too (considering the technology that now goes into the care/maintenance of ice and skates). There weren't a lot of 6'4, 220 lbs. giants chasing around the stars of earlier eras.  For example, Clarke was 5'10, 176. Dave Schultz was 6'1, 185. Stan Mikita was 5'9, 170. Richard was 5'10, 170. Howe was a heavyweight...at 6' and 205.  And those guys weren't "immune". Mikita and Howe both suffered from dementia. Mikita was diagnosed with CTE after his death.  Now imagine any of those guy getting trucked by a 6'3 and 240 lbs. Ovechkin?  Or a 6'4 and 220 lbs. Tom Wilson?  Fully clad in the hockey armor equipment or today?  I would argue that today's players are tougher than eras past. At a minimum, equals. Not to mention, we have a better understanding of head trauma now than we did 20, 30, 40 years ago.  I'm guessing if someone told Howe or Mikita that they need to sit a few games after getting their bell rung so that they'll be able to remember who their loved ones are in the twilight of their lives....they would have signed up for that.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

the more money you make, the more susceptible to injuries you are

4 hours ago, B21 said:

Spot on.  On top of that, the players wearing those plastic and felt pads were a lot smaller for the most part.  Probably slower, too (considering the technology that now goes into the care/maintenance of ice and skates). There weren't a lot of 6'4, 220 lbs. giants chasing around the stars of earlier eras.  For example, Clarke was 5'10, 176. Dave Schultz was 6'1, 185. Stan Mikita was 5'9, 170. Richard was 5'10, 170. Howe was a heavyweight...at 6' and 205.  And those guys weren't "immune". Mikita and Howe both suffered from dementia. Mikita was diagnosed with CTE after his death.  Now imagine any of those guy getting trucked by a 6'3 and 240 lbs. Ovechkin?  Or a 6'4 and 220 lbs. Tom Wilson?  Fully clad in the hockey armor equipment or today?  I would argue that today's players are tougher than eras past. At a minimum, equals. Not to mention, we have a better understanding of head trauma now than we did 20, 30, 40 years ago.  I'm guessing if someone told Howe or Mikita that they need to sit a few games after getting their bell rung so that they'll be able to remember who their loved ones are in the twilight of their lives....they would have signed up for that.

pretty much DON'T agree with any of this

According to your POV, today's players are larger, tougher, faster, and better protected. As a result they are injured MORE? Where's the logic in that?

Assuming your point is accurate, regarding size, the players then had to contend with more lax rules, less gear and were held accountable on ice for the behavior. Back then if you did something that crossed a line, you had to answer for it. No one has to worry about that today.

From my perspective, today's player doesn't have to answer for their actions, and therefore respect is out the window. You can cheap shot just about anyone you want, whenever you want, and the worse you might face is a suspension. And based on who you are, or who you play for at the time, will determine that suspension. Just ask Todd Bertuzzi. He proved you can break a guy's neck and end his career, and you will still keep yours.

Today its a business. Players are paid huge sums of money. They all have highly sophisticated agents, who will tell them to sit out and protect their future earnings. Loyalty to franchises and cities no longer exist. Today is all about contracts. And I'm pretty sure that Gordie Howe wouldn't have changed a damn thing. That guy loved the game and was a warrior. Players of his era played through injuries, with zero regard for what the future held. I'd bet significant money, that if you gave Gordie a choice between playing game 7 of an SC final, knowing it would be his last, or sitting out and living a long happy life, we'd see him taking the faceoff

Edited by CoachX

Faster, bigger players plus the armor/equipment is a huge factor and also the attitude when you wear that armor. It can make you feel invincible. Guys don’t protect themselves as well as they used to bc they feel indestructible. 

edit - maybe someone already made this point - pardon me if you did, I didn't read every post all the way through.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Faster, bigger players plus the armor/equipment is a huge factor and also the attitude when you wear that armor. It can make you feel invincible. Guys don’t protect themselves as well as they used to bc they feel indestructible. 

edit - maybe someone already made this point - pardon me if you did, I didn't read every post all the way through.

Another aspect of todays game is the lack of scoring. Even though everyone has a composite stick and can shoot harder and faster than eve,r the scoring is nothing like the old days.  Just take a look at Bernie Parents goalie pads and catching glove and compare it to the goalies of today, their equipment is gigantic.  So the equipment takes up most of the net, the catching glove is as big as a frying pan.On top of that you have goalies that are 6ft 5 , where in the old days ,.other than Ken Dryden I don't think there was a goalie over 6ft. Plus today's goalies are acrobatic. I know they reduced the pads a few years ago,I think they need to do ot again. 

6 hours ago, B21 said:

Dave Schultz the top enforcer pf the 70s is a middle weight compared to some of the monsters out there today. The players in modern times especially in the 90s were alot bigger and in those days in the nothing was called, players took a beating. You had real big tough guys like Probert, Brashear, Semenko, Brown, Parros, Kordic , Grimson, Twist and many more . Schultz would not stand a chance. Then you had cheapshot cowards like  Claude Lemieux,  Ulf Samuelsson, going for your knees.

The playoffs in those days were a total war, hockey is nothing like that today. Think about how many times someone took a run at you in a game, you were bruised and battered. Today you throw a clean hit and the other team comes after you. It's ridiculous. You can also see that more and more smaller guys are coming in to the league.  The sticks are like a feather you easily add 10mph to your slapper,  the skates are way better, the players are better skaters and the teams have a greater numer of skilled huys, except the Flyers. There is not much hitting, no fights,  they changed a bunch of rules to open up the offense , yet scoring is way down. 

In the NHL prior to bett turd, players stayed on a team sometimes for an entire career. They played for each other, and come playoff time they played for the love of the game. Also  there was a code, and if you breached it, you dealt with 20 other guys. A simple body check wasn't outside the code like it is today. Today, an NHL team is 25 independent contractors. Would you work well in an environment where 4 guys make 40 to 50 per cent of the payroll and the scrubs split the rest?

Also, today there is no disputing the players are faster, but not bigger,  and they are in better shape, which isn't all good. These modern players train so hard and the game is so fast there is very little tolerance for their bodies to absorb the impacts. And lastly, and IMHO, there is no consequence to their actions. In an 82 game season, these guys have no problem sitting a 2 or 3 game suspension. The NHL has zero interest in lessening traumatic head injuries, so the cheap shots will go on and on.

I watched this a couple times and the biggest issue I see is Patrick’s feet tangleing with Mccinnon’s causing him to land on the back of his head. 
Hardly suspentional to me. 
A little late for the hit but nothing terrible. 
Players getting beat up worse now is part of the removal of clutch and grab. Players are hitting at full speed now. 

41 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I watched this a couple times and the biggest issue I see is Patrick’s feet tangleing with Mccinnon’s causing him to land on the back of his head. 
Hardly suspentional to me. 
A little late for the hit but nothing terrible. 
Players getting beat up worse now is part of the removal of clutch and grab. Players are hitting at full speed now. 

A little late???  Patrick passed the puck to a teammate who caught it on his forehand and backhanded it into the corner before the hit happened.  The hit was incredibly late!

The shoulder to the jaw was the biggest issue.  Patrick's head snapped and his stick went flying.  Their legs didn't come together until Patrick started falling backwards.  

The armour that protects players is also the weapon that injures them, think of it today's pads being so hard it's harder than a goalie mask/helmet - and then think of someone using the helmet on a rope swinging it around like a mace, that's the speed and hardness that some players get hit in the head with, way worse than plain fists and easy worse than the olden days soft padding.

Edited by Villella McMeans

9 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

A little late???  Patrick passed the puck to a teammate who caught it on his forehand and backhanded it into the corner before the hit happened.  The hit was incredibly late!

The shoulder to the jaw was the biggest issue.  Patrick's head snapped and his stick went flying.  Their legs didn't come together until Patrick started falling backwards.  

So I watched it again yes late other than the pass that said puck carrier makes a pass past Mc Cannon ond Patrick.

But it still looked to me that Patrick overreacted to the hit.

I just don't see how Mc Cannon was able to apply enough energy to Patrick at the angle they were playing at.

• Like 1