Game 49: Capitals at Flyers; 2/17/22 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

25 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's just reporting what's actually happening.

In the macro sense yes but meanwhile the games go on...and you know? They don't completely suck. Try one...they may not give you a game like last night but one thing is certain: they'll blow it in the end. C'mon now that is must-see TV!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Nice to see Laughton get his one fight for the season out of the way. Now he can rest up and recover 

Is he supposed to be an enforcer?

I don't think that's ever been his role (He's our #2 centerman right now)  (yeah, think about that) and it certainly isn't his strong suit.

He still has dents in his skull from Matt NIskanen tuning him up early in his career.

I'm glad he'll stick up for himself, maybe that notion will rub off on some of the other boys.

#babysteps

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yes. He's all fizz.   No pop.

Apparently, they can't get rid of the dude eating half his salary:

Here is part of a post from Anthony Sanfaliippo:

Crickets on JVR

Once again, the Flyers are looking to move James van Riemsdyk and his contract. I was told by an NHL source that the Flyers are even offering to eat 50% of what’s remaining if a team is interested, and so far, there hasn’t been a nibble.

While the Flyers are willing to carry some of his money into next season, they may not want to buy him out over the summer and have it carry into the following season as well. I wonder if the next step is putting him on waivers and just letting that contract rot in the AHL, assuming JVR would accept the assignment, or, if not, he becomes dead money and, like Toronto is currently doing with Nick Ritchie, the Flyers try and trade him for nothing, either before the deadline or over the summer.

So..my take:

Sadly, he is terribly overpriced.  As was the case with Simmonds, you need to trade power forwards at their peak.  The fall-off is steep and quick.  In retrospect, Toronto "got it" and we blew it. 

Edited by Howie58

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

Sadly, he is terribly overpriced.  As was the case with Simmonds, you need to trade power forwards at their peak.  The fall-off is steep and quick.  In retrospect, Toronto "got it" and we blew it.  

Hard to imagine a statement ever uttered that was more true than this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I wonder if the next step is putting him on waivers and just letting that contract rot in the AHL, assuming JVR would accept the assignment

Well that is the problem. You could waive him but you'd only get salary relief of about what 950K and would be paying him 6 mill to NOT play for the Flyers otherwise that would be a good option.

I guess they are stuck with him.

Unless they waive him and he refuses to report then you could terminate the contract but why would JVR walk away from 7 million dollars?

They are stuck. Fcuked.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Apparently, they can't get rid of the dude eating half his salary:

Here is part of a post from Anthony Sanfaliippo:

Crickets on JVR

Once again, the Flyers are looking to move James van Riemsdyk and his contract. I was told by an NHL source that the Flyers are even offering to eat 50% of what’s remaining if a team is interested, and so far, there hasn’t been a nibble.

While the Flyers are willing to carry some of his money into next season, they may not want to buy him out over the summer and have it carry into the following season as well. I wonder if the next step is putting him on waivers and just letting that contract rot in the AHL, assuming JVR would accept the assignment, or, if not, he becomes dead money and, like Toronto is currently doing with Nick Ritchie, the Flyers try and trade him for nothing, either before the deadline or over the summer.

I guess a waiver wouldn't be too shocking.  Or, as stated here, he becomes Ghost Redux and traded for nothing.  

See if Columbus wants JVR, and attach another player...Braun maybe to the deal. Hell, by some miracle we got them to take Voracek in a trade, for a pretty good return.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Hard to imagine a statement ever uttered that was more true than this one.

It isn't about power forwards falling off with him it comes down to him floating and think he does have to help stop the other team or still needing to help get the damn puck back.

He is a scorer and guess when you do nothing else positive to help and NOW he can't even score ain't no GM got any time for that non sense.

If he was off the books next year then I feel you'd have a chance to move him like the last day of the deadline if some team missed out on a guy then maybe.

But for 3.5 mill no one wants to touch him not even the GM who signed him to that contract that tells you something.

But it is something most of already knew.

TRV is best of the brother for sure right now.

• Like 1

The Flyers paid 7 million dollars to a guy, in JVR, who they already knew was a stiff and could only do one thing, decently at most, well. That is be a net front presence. He's overpriced by about 4 million. Think about that. He can't skate, can't really pass..isn't a great shot. That's all he was the first time, and all he is now. He accomplished his one great season with a lot more offensive talent, in Toronto. Flyer organizational incompetence at its finest. He should be traded away, any way possible. This team's ownership is a gimmick, their team president is a gimmick...GM-a gimmick. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

The Flyers paid 7 million dollars to a guy, in JVR, who they already knew was a stiff and could only do one thing, decently at most, well. That is be a net front presence. He's overpriced by about 4 million. Think about that. He can't skate, can't really pass..isn't a great shot. That's all he was the first time, and all he is now. He accomplished his one great season with a lot more offensive talent, in Toronto. Flyer organizational incompetence at its finest. He should be traded away, any way possible. This team's ownership is a gimmick, their team president is a gimmick...GM-a gimmick. 

Agreed. Add to that--he is almost 10% of an essentially flat salary cap.  That is truly depressing.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

no one wants to touch him not even the GM who signed him to that contract that tells you something.

Yes, among the things it tells me is that said GM wasn't the one that wanted to sign him but was forced to by the fossil of a moron above him.   The one recently elected to the Flyers Hall of Fame for a career of mediocrity in his good years and a total sum of flushable field manure.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

if Columbus wants JVR, and attach another player...Braun maybe to the deal.

nah screw that JVR already cost the Flyers enough Fletcher better not do another Gostisbehere bribe deal. I get where you’re coming from FD but Braun is worth something on his own at the TD. No nothing fabulous of course but I would expect at least a 2nd maybe more. He’s exactly what a solid PO team wants to acquire for their run. I wonder if there’s been any interest in him. Cheap insurance, UFA and he can still play. Unless Fletcher has already signaled to his agent that he’s got a 6-year deal in mind for him…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

nah screw that JVR already cost the Flyers enough Fletcher better not do another Gostisbehere bribe deal. I get where you’re coming from FD but Braun is worth something on his own at the TD. No nothing fabulous of course but I would expect at least a 2nd maybe more. He’s exactly what a solid PO team wants to acquire for their run. I wonder if there’s been any interest in him. Cheap insurance, UFA and he can still play. Unless Fletcher has already signaled to his agent that he’s got a 6-year deal in mind for him…

Well they gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him IIRC so the Canes don't have a 1st so if they could get their 2nd and they don't have a 3rd but they have the Blackhawks 3rd and can get that to it would be a huge win.

Edit: Before someone chimes in I am not saying he is worth that but at least a 2nd and 4th.

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Is he supposed to be an enforcer?

I don't think that's ever been his role (He's our #2 centerman right now)  (yeah, think about that) and it certainly isn't his strong suit.

He still has dents in his skull from Matt NIskanen tuning him up early in his career.

I'm glad he'll stick up for himself, maybe that notion will rub off on some of the other boys.

#babysteps

No, he isnt supposed to be an enforcer. However, those here who defend him are always using the "he's tough to play against" and "sticks up for his teammates", "will drop the gloves", blah, blah, blah.

Fact is, he doesn't really do any of that. But he's a decent player, who has more value on this roster becasue it sucks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

No nothing fabulous of course but I would expect at least a 2nd maybe more

No more than a 5th round pick.    Any GM giving more than that should be instantly fired.   I'm serious.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well they gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him IIRC so the Canes don't have a 1st so if they could get their 2nd and they don't have a 3rd but they have the Blackhawks 3rd and can get that to it would be a huge win.

fair number of "ifs" there but I got ya. And I agree the Flyers need to get rid of JVR at (almost) any cost. Unfortunately JVR generates zero interest around the league and for good reason. He's been playing like crap and everybody knows it. Granted he's on a bad team but he's been noticeably bad, when you notice him at all.

What a dumb move that was bringing him back...

48 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

fair number of "ifs" there but I got ya. And I agree the Flyers need to get rid of JVR at (almost) any cost. Unfortunately JVR generates zero interest around the league and for good reason. He's been playing like crap and everybody knows it. Granted he's on a bad team but he's been noticeably bad, when you notice him at all.

What a dumb move that was bringing him back...

Can't rid that bum for free maybe.

Connor Bunnaman placed on waivers and they will probably lose him which isn't saying much guy never really does much of anything but it is the point of it to me.

All Chuckles had to do to keep him is waive JVR which no one would take.

I thought this was funny.