Game 46: Red Wings at Flyers; 2/9/22 @ 7PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

It looks like we are mild favorites with a computer prediction of 3-2:

https://hockeyoracle.com/philadelphia-flyers-v-detroit-red-wings-prediction/

Here is NHL.com's take:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/det-vs-phi/2022/02/09/2021020694

We are 5-12 against the Eastern Conference--yikes.  

Edited by Howie58

There is no way Morgan Frost shouldn't be playing tonight i don't care if he scores in his net 3 times watching this team is like watching paint dry man if you trade Giroux it will be the meaning of unbearable in the dictionary.....i'm sure.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The inactivity on this board speaks volumes.

Nobody has even mentioned that the "power play" went with four guys for an "inordinate length of time".

Turns out it was a guy "just not being ready" - so we've got that going for us. Why be "ready" when you're on the second power play unit and the team is on a power play?

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/status/1491625227184492548?s=20&t=fQqYCxhNpHKw4SAN6nPsiQ

Edited by radoran
  • Uggh... 1

23 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Look at the way that big dman Seider took the puck skated circles around us on our PP, we couldn't do anything and he is a rookie. 

The game was a study/contrast of draft picks.  Allowing for the sustained mediocrity in Detroit, they seem to have put together a good young core and added some low-cost dudes (Fabbri and Gagner) to add some balance.   I have a feeling we will be looking back at our last decade of drafts and wonder what the hell happened?  Last night was truly cringeworthy..unsettling.  I watched Yeo's post-game on YouTube this AM.  I think even he was in a state of disbelief/disgust.  Chris Maher's take reminded us of another truth--this team doesn't deal well with layoffs.  

Scott and Fletcher can say what they want--or have to say in order to keep some degree of positivity.  But the truth of the matter is that the franchise in unglued. Briere's role may be, in part, to show some candor/realism.  He isn't a bad cop...maybe a candid cop.  

I will be curious to see what happens on Saturday.  If this loss doesn't light a fire under their collective asses, nothing will.  I wouldn't give a poop if they lost 6-3 again, but MacEwen can't be the only warrior.  Sorry for my dump.  

Howie

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Nobody has even mentioned that the "power play" went with four guys for an "inordinate length of time".

Turns out it was a guy "just not being ready" - so we've got that going for us. Why be "ready" when you're on the second power play unit and the team is on a power play?

https://twitter.com/billmeltzer/status/1491625227184492548?s=20&t=fQqYCxhNpHKw4SAN6nPsiQ

maybe they should fire the coach for the player not being ready. Yeo probably didn't do enough in practice to get him prepared

it cannot possibly be the player's fault :poke:

• Good Post 1

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Allowing for the sustained mediocrity in Detroit, they seem to have put together a good young core and added some low-cost dudes (Fabbri and Gagner) to add some balance.   I have a feeling we will be looking back at our last decade of drafts and wonder what the hell happened? 

Detroit's last five picks were Top 10 picks - that's not "mediocrity" that's a Bad Hockey Team.

Four of those guys are in their lineup. The #20 the year before those five was snapped up by Seattle. They didn't even tender Svechnikov (#19 - 2015). Larkin (#15 in the Sanheim draft). Mantha (#20 - 2013) they traded for Vrana, a 1st, 2nd, and an asset they flipped for Leddy.

And that's just their first round.

Over the same period, the Flyers have two top ten picks - of whom Provorov is in the lineup and Patrick was dealt for Ellis. Then Sanheim, Farabee, Frost, Konecny, and York.

So, the Wings took their picks and wound up with seven first round roster players. The Flyers have six.

That's not a "bad" haul over that period for the Flyers, but the thing that strikes me about Detroit is that they didn't spin their wheels "trying to make the playoffs and anything can happen." And they still have as many playoff round wins in the past decade as the "definitely a playoff team" Philadelphia Flyers do.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I can't understand how anyone cannot dump on this team.

When even people paid by the organization (Meltzer, Myrtetus, the Pre/Post Game folks) are pretty much dumping on the team, there's no "reason" that anyone should be out there heralding the "good things" that are going on.

• Like 2

Oh man...RADcliff. Brilliant just brilliant. That sums it up perfectly how FunkedUp things are for the Flyers.

I'm sure glad the Flyers "doubled the analytics department" and "doubled the player development department." Once they figure out who's on the roster things will start going much better.

also enjoyed Yeo's "explanation" for the 4-man PP2 ... end of his quote is something like, "we'll see Saturday whether this was just a bit of sloppiness or we'll find out how much work we have to do."

I think the answer is obvious Mike...don't look now but your players obviously just don't give a damn what happens on the ice. There's still a few putting in the work every shift but mostly it's one big Fk It.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1