Danny Briere Assistant GM to Chuck Fletcher

OccamsRazor

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Oh I get it now it went straight over my head...well damn what title do they hand Flahr Assistant to the assistant's assistant?

I think 2 years away from assistant to the assistant's assistant would be more appropriate...don't you?

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

This doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on whether he's any good at being a GM. Not saying he can't be. And I'm all for anything...ANYTHING, that gets Fletcher the f*** out from behind the wheel. But as mentioned, Brieres only experience at management is what he's learned from the Flyers upper asshattery.

That's a cynical view and you simply don't know that. These guys know a lot of different people, and he played for different organizations, he could know a lot more than you think. 

I always liked Briere, so I'm going to give him the benefit of a doubt until he does things I don't like (if).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

That's exactly my point. Did that just go over your head? Hexy was canned for not doing what Clarke and Co. wanted him to. He didn't follow orders, and he's out. Then Clarke airs that crap in public, essentially blaming Hex for the state of the team now, absolving any current execs (fletch) of any responsibility.

It's not a pessimistic view. It's realistic. Do a little research. You might be surprised to find out how many ex flyers are long time employees. 

By the way, the last time the Flyers won a cup, was prior to this hiring trend in the organization 

There's no need for the condescending tone. The point with Hextall is exactly that. Being an ex Flyer does not automatically imply they will be yes men. Could that get them fired later, sure, same as any company/hierarchy that's entrenched. Ultimately ownership decides where the buck stops and who gets the blame, but there's no reason to ASSUME Briere will be a yes man just because he was a Flyer once upon a time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrittyForever said:

There's no need for the condescending tone. The point with Hextall is exactly that. Being an ex Flyer does not automatically imply they will be yes men. Could that get them fired later, sure, same as any company/hierarchy that's entrenched. Ultimately ownership decides where the buck stops and who gets the blame, but there's no reason to ASSUME Briere will be a yes man just because he was a Flyer once upon a time. 

Im wondering why they even hired  an Asst GM? Maybe Fletcher is going to move up and replace Homgren or Clarke and Briere will be the full time GM for next year. I don't know if that will help the organization any.....if Briere is nothing more than a puppet, then it doesn't matter. If he can do his own thing then maybe it can work

• Like 1

Just now, RonJeremy said:

Im wondering why they even hired  an Asst GM? Maybe Fletcher is going to move up and replace Homgren or Clarke and Briere will be the full time GM for next year. I don't know if that will help the organization any.....if Briere is nothing more than a puppet, then it doesn't matter. If he can do his own thing then maybe it can work

Ya, I'm waiting for the details on that too. It's also possible they are thinking ahead and told Fletcher "we think you have too much on your plate so we're hiring you a helper so you can concentrate on x y z" while what they are really thinking is if Fletcher doesn't turn this around by X date we have his replacement ready to go. Or as you say Fletcher fails upwards. Have to see what they have Briere doing. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Well I think the best thing about Briere is whenever he speaks to the team he can slap in the video of his performance from the 2010 Stanley Cup run (single handedly the best playoff performance I have ever witnessed by a Flyer player) and everyone in the room should sit up and take note (look up from their phones and give tik tok a break).

Mostly importantly due to it being in modern hockey era relate and get the message that he ain't ******** around about what he wants as their goal and hopefully maybe even help SHOW them.

#fingerscrossed

Please sweet swaddled baby Jeezuz please be the Flyer's version of Steve Y or Joseph Sakic!!!!!!

A fact I didn't know till something I read the other day the Avs have used their 1st round pick in 9 straight drafts.

Impressive and their roster reflects this.

A very very deep and sturdy foundation they have built and now can afford to gamble now that their window is open.

In my mind that is what you build the foundation through the draft and then when the window is open roll the dice with you picks to fill needs to go for it.

Just like Tampa has done.

I hope this could be Danny B.'s vision...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

To reset, the comment was the Briere hiring, "can't be worse". My point is, it can. If you are an ex-flyer who does not follow orders, you get canned (Hexy). Since there is a long line of ex-flyers currently employed in the organization, it can be reasonably deduced those individuals do. That gives every reason to believe that Briere will be a "yes" man, or he will be looking for a job.

You're assumption is that he will be a good executive because he was a good player. Like others, maybe you are hoping he's our sakic/Yzerman. In all honesty,  so do I. But history is not on his side. We have all seen this management group decimate this club, loping off the heads of coaches and GMs along the way. I think anything is better then Fletcher,  but I have no reason to believe that this is the correct answer

Ron Francis was a terrific hockey player. He's simply a piss poor GM. So, good player doesn't have to mean good GM.

I currently have no opinion on Briere as a GM because I have exactly nothing to base it on.  And that won't change any time soon because he's NOT GM; he's an assistant.  

He doesn't get to have "a vision." He's an assistant.  And who the hell knows what that means? Except that "vision" (or, in this case, lack of one) comes from the GM.

I do know this from a ton of history and evidence:  he'll tow the line and follow orders from the idiot crew or he'll be conducting his "vision" someplace else.  He's in the wrong organization for vision or creation or innovation.  Here we're slavishly loyal to the arcane approach that has won exactly bupkis since 1975.

"But how do we know? Argle bargle!"

How the hell wouldn't we?

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

No, not Phil...

image.jpeg.e2b909acc247846a52e3ee74ec3b8ee5.jpeg

Lol... Ryerson. "Needlenose Ned"? "Ned the Head"? C'mon, buddy. Case Western High. Ned Ryerson!

Oh yeah, If Briere can make the same impact on the team in the front office as he did on the ice, I'll take it.

Edited by Cheesesteak

I admit that I am a Briere fan and I think he might just be successful because he's learned the business side of the game. He's got an eye for talent and his work ethic is off the chart. You know he carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder and that motivates him. I love it. I think Briere is GM material and that he's going to be invaluable going forward. This is a legitimate good move by the Flyers and Schmuck Felcher. I hate him, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Bringing Briere on was a no brainer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I admit that I am a Briere fan and I think he might just be successful because he's learned the business side of the game. He's got an eye for talent and his work ethic is off the chart. You know he carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder and that motivates him. I love it. I think Briere is GM material and that he's going to be invaluable going forward. This is a legitimate good move by the Flyers and Schmuck Felcher. I hate him, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Bringing Briere on was a no brainer.

Holmgren is giving him two years to see if he can follow orders...

...they want Danny to be the turk...

:PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I am a Briere fan and I think he might just be successful because he's learned the business side of the game. He's got an eye for talent and his work ethic is off the chart. You know he carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder and that motivates him. I love it. I think Briere is GM material and that he's going to be invaluable going forward. This is a legitimate good move by the Flyers and Schmuck Felcher. I hate him, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Bringing Briere on was a no brainer.

How exactly do you know all of this? From what im reading, he's being groomed by the same people who are responsible for the mediocre product that has been taking the ice in philly for the last decade. Hes a Holmgren protoge. You know, PAUL HOLMGREN? The same people who were responsible for hiring AV and Flecth, two guys you hate, are the ones responsible for teaching briere the business side of hockey. I admire and appreciate the love of past players, especially a guy like Briere. But being a good player doesnt make you a good exec. Briere has not accomplished anything.....yet

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

To reset, the comment was the Briere hiring, "can't be worse". My point is, it can. If you are an ex-flyer who does not follow orders, you get canned (Hexy). Since there is a long line of ex-flyers currently employed in the organization, it can be reasonably deduced those individuals do. That gives every reason to believe that Briere will be a "yes" man, or he will be looking for a job.

This is where we disagree. I'm looking at the guy's character and personality and I just don't see "yes man". Now he might be, he might disappoint, but I just don't think he's that type of person.

My personal hope (based on wish fulfillment and no evidence, just a hope) is that Clarke has finally said "I'm getting too old for this s@@t, let's hire a younger guy with balls to take the reins so I can go golfing". To which Holmgren replied "ya, works for me, as long as I get paid I don't care".

On 2/6/2022 at 2:02 AM, GrittyForever said:

You can have that fatalistic pessimistic view if you want to, but then why isn't Hextall still here? 

Briere was a tough little guy and didn't take crap from anybody. Notorious for how hard he trained and how strong he was pound for pound. He always gave it his all, and that character is commendable and lacking on this on ice roster. Maybe he can help evaluate better and improve things going forward. 

This is well put.  I liked Danny on the ice when he played, I liked him in Portland here and I think Danny will be a great GM with an eye for talent.  Someone hired Danny to replace Chuck, that's all this is.  

Danny did his time learning the ropes with in Comcast.  He knows the Flyers and their management.   His next logical step was some where in the GM realm.   Having him learn the ropes as assistant GM was a great way to not let all of that training/investment/time go to waste at another org (habs).  

Edited by Digityman
  • Like 2

To say it’s too early to judge him is beyond an understatement. I hope he can be part of a culture change in the org that leads to a more interesting decade to come. 

I don’t expect much of him in his current role mind you. Assistant to the GM sounds like he may have Fletch’s ear but ultimately decisions won’t be his to make. That’s fine. I see nothing wrong with bringing in more viewpoints. Hopefully it works out for the best somehow. 

i highly doubt this appointment will go down as a major turning point. He’s still going to just be an office cog in the end. I’ll put it in the “well, it’s something i guess” category. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Is hoping Brind 'Amour gets fired so the Flyers could hire him wrong??

I mean if help going to keep this nepotism going he's my guy. Tocchet is #2.

I mean look at the roster turnover he has had since just 2019-20. An yet they stay on top.

I want what they doing so close to me. I hate it...

...it's bittersweet i want success so hockey grows but damn.....never did i think the Canes and Lightning would ever win a Cup before my Flyers but here we are.

So yes i want Rod to come back to Philly and take them to a Cup it is the only way to close that story in my mind.

I hated watching him get traded....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Is hoping Brind 'Amour gets fired so the Flyers could hire him wrong??

I mean if help going to keep this nepotism going he's my guy. Tocchet is #2.

I mean look at the roster turnover he has had since just 2019-20. An yet they stay on top.

I want what they doing so close to me. I hate it...

...it's bittersweet i want success so hockey grows but damn.....never did i think the Canes and Lightning would ever win a Cup before my Flyers but here we are.

So yes i want Rod to come back to Philly and take them to a Cup it is the only way to close that story in my mind.

I hated watching him get traded....

Unfortunately, with the way he was treated and with his Canes sitting 4th overall, Brind'Amour isn't going anywhere. 

I'm sure he still loves the Flyer fans. I doubt he feels the same about management.

• Like 1