Danny Briere Assistant GM to Chuck Fletcher

OccamsRazor

To be announced soon.

Might as well give a fresh horse to kill.

Thoughts. Concerns are welcome and of course bitching and whinning.

I'll start kind of figured something like this was going to happen.

2 minutes ago  Flyers source confirms to @CrossingBroad that Danny Briere will be named an Assistant GM to Chuck Fletcher

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Math said:

LOL, Brière was first supposed to be heading towards Montréal. I guess there's more challenge (or more hope ?) in Philly.

As a former player, that's makes him qualified, and a leading candidate to be President of the Flyers, and a shoo in for the Flyers hall of fame (which he deserves)

57 minutes ago, CoachX said:

As a former player, that's makes him qualified, and a leading candidate to be President of the Flyers, and a shoo in for the Flyers hall of fame (which he deserves)

Maybe the plan is in 2 years, because he only signed for 2 years he can take Chuckles spot so now Danny B is now actually 2 years away from being 2 years away.

Perfect.

:BrownBag:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe the plan is in 2 years, because he only signed for 2 years he can take Chuckles spot so now Danny B is now actually 2 years away from being 2 years away.

Perfect.

Then Chuckles can move up to el Presidente', Homer moves up to King and Clarke moves up to Orange Dictator.

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

Seriously I have to ask this, well because one I don't know so are the Flyers the only organization that believes in only all this nepotism or are other clubs doing this with their old players?

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Perfect.

If the plan isn't to be GM when Chuck moves up, does Chucky start sweating because Dany is breathing down his neck

That would be great. Just what this team needs

19 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If the plan isn't to be GM when Chuck moves up, does Chucky start sweating because Dany is breathing down his neck

I hope so.

Not all former players make great coaches and general managers but I think he has a chance to bring some new ideas and ways of doing things and really what else  house do we have especially when guys like Scott are happy being the 9th seed every other year.

I am holding out he brings a spark.

And I don't know if anyone here remembers when I posted a few weeks back that the rumor was Danny would be the next GM and Tocchet the next head coach.

Well it looks like it is happening.

I mean for all we know the Scott comment he put out about "Right now Chuckles is my man...was code for he is going to get some on the job training and Chuck knows he is out this offseason...

...we'll see.

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I don't know why some people see this as a negative. All depends on who will be responsible for what, and wouldn't be the first time an assistant GM ended up in full control in the long run (if that happens). 

Can't be worse. 

It can be worse. The Flyers are notorious for hiring former players throughout the organization. Its a never ending line. They love to make sure past players are set up with careers, long past their playing days.

So, Dany Briere is hired and groomed to be GM. Who hired him? You have to believe a former player (homer?)was involved.  So now Dany is beholden to the organization for a career, and will be expected to follow the company line. What happens to former players who don't, who try to do things their own way? Well, just ask Ron Hextall.

Briere will be the next to fall in line. Possibly Tocchet after that. The team will get a boost off nostalgia that will last until the next losing streak. But all the past players will be sitting comfortably, making great living, and the fans will suffer

In alot of ways the Flyers are very much like our politicians

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

It can be worse. The Flyers are notorious for hiring former players throughout the organization. Its a never ending line. They love to make sure past players are set up with careers, long past their playing days.

So, Dany Briere is hired and groomed to be GM. Who hired him? You have to believe a former player (homer?)was involved.  So now Dany is beholden to the organization for a career, and will be expected to follow the company line. What happens to former players who don't, who try to do things their own way? Well, just ask Ron Hextall.

Briere will be the next to fall in line. Possibly Tocchet after that. The team will get a boost off nostalgia that will last until the next losing streak. But all the past players will be sitting comfortably, making great living, and the fans will suffer

You can have that fatalistic pessimistic view if you want to, but then why isn't Hextall still here? 

Briere was a tough little guy and didn't take crap from anybody. Notorious for how hard he trained and how strong he was pound for pound. He always gave it his all, and that character is commendable and lacking on this on ice roster. Maybe he can help evaluate better and improve things going forward. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Seriously I have to ask this, well because one I don't know so are the Flyers the only organization that believes in only all this nepotism or are other clubs doing this with their old players?

Come on OR...lot's of NHL teams do this...

Atlanta Thrashers

Hartford Whalers

Cleveland Barons

Kansas City Scouts

California Golden Seals

It's clearly a rock solid way to build your franchise.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, CoachX said:

Like Chuck can make worse moves than he already does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

You can have that fatalistic pessimistic view if you want to, but then why isn't Hextall still here? 

Briere was a tough little guy and didn't take crap from anybody. Notorious for how hard he trained and how strong he was pound for pound. He always gave it his all, and that character is commendable and lacking on this on ice roster. Maybe he can help evaluate better and improve things going forward. 

This doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on whether he's any good at being a GM. Not saying he can't be. And I'm all for anything...ANYTHING, that gets Fletcher the f*** out from behind the wheel. But as mentioned, Brieres only experience at management is what he's learned from the Flyers upper asshattery.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

Ground Hog Day 3.0

Enough said…….

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

That's exactly my point. Did that just go over your head? Hexy was canned for not doing what Clarke and Co. wanted him to. He didn't follow orders, and he's out. Then Clarke airs that crap in public, essentially blaming Hex for the state of the team now, absolving any current execs (fletch) of any responsibility.

It's not a pessimistic view. It's realistic. Do a little research. You might be surprised to find out how many ex flyers are long time employees. 

By the way, the last time the Flyers won a cup, was prior to this hiring trend in the organization 

Edited by CoachX