Game 33: Flyers at Ducks; 1/4/22 @ 10 PM; ESPN+, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

The Ducks are mild favorites (-120) and have a better overall record, but have lost their last three:

https://freepicks.picksandparlays.net/more-free-picks/nhl-picks/philadelphia-flyers-at-anaheim-ducks-1422-nhl-picks-and-predictions

It looks like Hart versus Gibson in goal.  Take a gander at Anthony Stolarz's numbers as backup:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-ana/2022/01/04/2021020594

Do we win two of four for the trip?  

Edited by Howie58

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 33: Flyers at Ducks; 1/4/22 @ 10 PM; ESPN+, NBCSP

Here is a projected lineup:

Projected lineup

Forwards

Joel Farabee-Kevin Hayes-Cam Atkinson

Oskar Lindblom-Morgan Frost-Travis Konecny

James van Riemsdyk-Scott Laughton-Gerry Mayhew

Max Willman-Patrick Brown-Zack MacEwen

Defensemen

Travis Sanheim-Justin Braun

Keith Yandle-Rasmus Ristolainen

Cam York-Kevin Connauton

Goalies

Carter Hart

Martin Jones

thank goodness for ESPN+ replays - I won't sit thru Flyers games live anymore. FF thru that dreck is the only way.

York looked good. On a team whose main purpose is to give away the puck... I don't recall any TOs by York. That alone made him stand out from the rest. I didn't see a big drop off w/out Provorov.

The rest of them ... they make you tired just watching them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Risto's performance was a reminder of how big a mistake CF made in the acquisition.  OK, he levels people.  Then the folks he levels go on to score because he neglects to cover them close to the net.  Big hits and blocked shots are nice.  Ultimately, we need to stop quality scoring chances. 

This is the part I just don't effing get. If I know that this is exactly Ristolainens game, always has been, how in the EFF does Fletcher NOT know this? And he's an NHL GM...and I DON"T EVEN WATCH THE SABRES!

• Like 1

For skill guys I can understand the thinking - a change of scenery has worked before  - for skill players. Applying it to a guy who's whole game is making big hits...What in the world convinced the Flyers he would change his game? The guy makes mega$$millions to play HIS game. They really expected he'd suddenly take Defense seriously? Stupid...complete waste of a roster spot and a criminal waste of cap space. 

The only upside to Ristolainen is he's a UFA. But I expect Fletcher will take care of that soon enough. Can you imagine 4, 5 more years of this moron skating 20+ mins a night?

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

What in the world convinced the Flyers he would change his game?

They didn't want him to change his game. They wanted "his game." And they think he is fitting in well and "wants to be a Flyer."

That said, he did have some offensive side to "his game" before the Sabres turned him into Ivan Drago to compliment Oh My Dahlin. I don't know if that player is ever coming back.

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The only upside to Ristolainen is he's a UFA. But I expect Fletcher will take care of that soon enough. Can you imagine 4, 5 more years of this moron skating 20+ mins a night?

I have zero problems if they walk away, but I just can't see them walking away after what they gave up.

This is a guy Fletcher wanted, targeted, pursued and ultimately gave up a 1st, 2 2nds, a 7th, and two roster players to go get.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

For skill guys I can understand the thinking - a change of scenery has worked before  - for skill players. Applying it to a guy who's whole game is making big hits...What in the world convinced the Flyers he would change his game? The guy makes mega$$millions to play HIS game. They really expected he'd suddenly take Defense seriously? Stupid...complete waste of a roster spot and a criminal waste of cap space. 

I hope and invoke the Hockey Gods by thinking CF might show the same reasoning with Risto that he did with Gustaffson---it was a mistake, accept the heavy sunk costs, and move on.  Next best hope....a short-term contract at a few million.  He is seen as a short-term help with heavy limitations.  Even that thought makes me ill.  If the guy gets a long-term contract at what he is currently making, I may say the hell with following this team.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

They didn't want him to change his game. They wanted "his game." And they think he is fitting in well and "wants to be a Flyer."

you think? I don't know. I do remember hearing the usual talking heads - the Philly guys - saying how he would re-tool his game, become a true stay-at-home D-man, he was just what the Flyers needed, a big hitter who was...swear to god with a straight face...responsible in his own end.

The reasoning was based on playing for a lousy club in Buffalo. Hearing them state the case I remember thinking...well I guess it's possible...but like I said I don't think it applies to a one-trick pony like Ristolainen.

16 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If the guy gets a long-term contract at what he is currently making, I may say the hell with following this team.  

I'm right there with you Howie. This is the first season where I don't bother keeping up with their schedule. The games out West I watch on replay the next day. The Flyers are losing fans right and left and for die-hard fans like us it isn't just the losing it's how they're losing...and that the future looks like more of the same.

If Rad is right and the Flyers truly thought Ristolainen would help minimize goals-against...yikes...now that's a scary thought.

edit: the GA have dropped and that's a good thing but the Flyers are still a -18 GF/GA, better than last year but still awful. What improved is goaltending. The slightly better numbers sure isn't because the Flyers Team D is better...if anything it's worse this year..and that's saying something!

Edited by GratefulFlyers

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

If Rad is right and the Flyers truly thought Ristolainen would help minimize goals-against.

Not exactly what I'm saying - from where I sit they wanted a guy with "grit" and "sandpaper" who was "hard to play against."

I'm not convinced they ever took into account whether he would be an effective "defence"man in terms of minimizing chances and goals-against.

They wanted a big hitter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not convinced they ever took into account whether he would be an effective "defence"man in terms of minimizing chances and goals-against.

Wow that's right I remember now - thank you. It was never about minimizing goals-against it was all about the hitting...and how exiting that would be to watch! That's what the Flyers were missing.

Well they got their man. Only thing left to do is sign him to a nice, fat 6-year contract. He's only 27...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Risto's performance was a reminder of how big a mistake CF made in the acquisition.  OK, he levels people. 

From what i have seen am i will admit it isn't much. You already have a better version of what he brings.

His name is Sam Morin so save the close to 6 mill he makes or even more to resign him and trade him to someone team that may still see some value in him even if it isn't but for more than a playoff run but just don't resign this guy....just don't take the loss even but do not resign because you traded for him.

Just keep Sam and hope one day he can help....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

What in the world convinced the Flyers he would change his game?

Not defending the move but i think he has sat up high and watch how soft and passive this team is and was just trying to add some grit and tough to play against and well i would be surprised if Homer pushed it saying this is the type of guy we need in our line up and then told Chuckles to go out and get him...i don't know about you but on my job when my boss tells me to do something well i do it.

It is the only thing i can come up with to even try and understand...epic fail....it feels like i am in hockey purgatory and i'm not even catholic....so now all my hopes land on the Eagles....yeah depressing...

...however i feel there is one small way you can kind of fix it and that is trade him before the deadline if you even can...

:BrownBag: 

Many Flyer fans want to live to see a SC victory. I was fortunate enough to experience both, albeit as a youngster still pissing yellow.

That said, right now, I would want to see a full purge of the pile of garbage more than I would a SC. Just once, ONCE, I would like to see this franchise gut the roster and start over

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

They wanted a big hitter.

BINGO.

And i'm not blaming the guy but i think had not Morin been so in and out so much due to injury he was the guy they needed and that is why i think they kept and still hold out hope he was going to add that because Sam has some decent offense to his game too but he never really displayed that much but he has some skill he just has so very terrible injury luck.

So in an alternate world where Sam stay healthy and comes in defending his end and make the other team pay maybe they never pursue this kid....they let Sam also play some enforcer too on the bottom pair. So yeah Sam kind of derailed it a little not blaming him but well they went to plan B.

And as a disclaimer i have zero proof of any of this just trying to figure out WTF they are trying to do and well it's all i got because i hasn't worked at all....