Game 28: Flyers at Canadiens; 12/16/21 @ 7PM; NBCSP

Howie58

Unreal…the top 6 gets outworked and outshot all night by a team with 6 wins on the year. I started wondering if they were hanging Carter Hart out to dry on purpose or what! The 3rd and 4th lines played pretty well and a thousand percent better by comparison. 

and this Ironman record… I hope it’s over soon so they can sit Yandle for good. Great career and all that but he makes six awful plays for every somewhat less awful play. Enough already.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Unreal…the top 6 gets outworked and outshot all night by a team with 6 wins on the year. I started wondering if they were hanging Carter Hart out to dry on purpose or what! The 3rd and 4th lines played pretty well and a thousand percent better by comparison. 

and this Ironman record… I hope it’s over soon so they can sit Yandle for good. Great career and all that but he makes six awful plays for every somewhat less awful play. Enough already.

Isn't Yandle on of Fletchers big signings?

Fletcher = Idiot

I have to agree with Taryn; this was a snoozer.  I started doing holiday cards and other stuff while trying to watch/engage.  What did JJ say...we are 53-94 in the shootout and worst in the league historically.  Yikes.  

Seeing Primeau in net made me think about the Flyers in '03-'04 against Tampa Bay.  Primeau carried the team on his shoulders, Sami was amazing.  They had heart.  Taryn had it sized up.  We snoozed against a lousy team with no real home advantage.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, radoran said:

They couldn't manage two points against the worst team in the Conference playing a third string goalie and relied on goals from Who? And What? to salvage a point...

Legendary

Well only Phantoms found the net so think about that for a second....never mind that is down sad.

8 hours ago, Howie58 said:

53-94 in the shootout and worst in the league historically.  Yikes. 

This should be yelled from every rooftop in Philly.  The team sorely lacks creative & skilled shoot-first type players.  True snipers.  

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And the Flyers could only get goals from their AHL players

This is laughable actually.  

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And this Ironman record… I hope it’s over soon so they can sit Yandle for good

So, the question is - What is the goal for the organization?   Getting a (somewhat) meaningless record for a individual or winning the Cup as a team?   Because clearly they are valuing a individual over the team at this point.   It's blatantly obviously how bad he's been even to the casual observer.  

• Like 2

Jones or JJ made an observation that's been on my mind for years: We win faceoffs with no scoring payoff. That, coupled with the shootout history, probably says a lot about our talent. 

Even good teams lay eggs. But this one showed the rough edges.

Willman reminds me of Pitlick. The talent may not be great but he earns his keep. That's OK in my book.

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Digityman said:

This should be yelled from every rooftop in Philly. 

That would require the Flyers to be relevant in Philly.

They are not.

26 minutes ago, Digityman said:

Because clearly they are valuing a individual over the team at this point.   

I'm really not sure who they play if Yandle is in the press box. Also not sure that whoever it is would be better.

Yandle was never supposed to be in this position. He was a cheap third pair option with "leadership" and familiarity with AV's "system."

Of course he was a "leader" on a team that bought him out and is doing better without him, and AV is no longer here...

I believed that the changes made in the off-season would give the veteran core the opportunity to show that they are good enough to compete and while that roster hasn't had a chance to play a game it's pretty clear that the veteran core remains not good enough.

• Like 1

This is why they are the Flyers.  This game should've never even gone to OT.  The Flyers played the worst team in the NHL right now; they should've thumped Montreal with no problem.  The only player who actually showed up to play last night was Hart.  I feel bad for him as the guy did all he could to get the Flyers a W.  And the shootout underlined the glaring lack of skills of this team.  No creativity... 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Playing down to match the competition? I guess that's what that was. Or just crap. 

Even so, good teams find ways to win games at the end.  A good example Tampa-Ottawa game last night.  The Bolts were playing down to the competition for the 2 periods, but at the end, found a way to win.  That's what separates good teams from average ones.  But in our case, I am afraid the Flyers are not even an *average* team.

Oh... and Couturier still looks like a shell of his old self.  I am really at a loss what's wrong with him this season.

Edited by Mad Dog

2 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Oh... and Couturier still looks like a shell of his old self.  I am really at a loss what's wrong with him this season.

Could be he just doesn't GAF. That's sure how it looks. He flubs more passes than he makes clean. He's constantly late or out of position on D, he gets outworked in front of Hart almost every game for a goal-against.

He might as well be wearing a sign: Sorry But IJDGAF Anymore.

It doesn't sound like the guy we've seen all these years and I don't like thinking it about him. But it's not an injury. Why the hell would he be "playing through it" at this point for the Flyers?

I imagine there's some weird dynamic related to personality, some grievance crap going on with these guys. God only knows who or what but there's something obviously very wrong. And it isn't "lack of talent" or even Fletcher's stupid moves behind it. It's in the room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

He flubs more passes than he makes clean. He's constantly late or out of position on D, he gets outworked in front of Hart almost every game for a goal-against.

That's exactly what I am seeing, as well... It is sad and unfathomable. He is consistently failing at all the things that made him the team's unquestioned MVP and the league's Selke Trophy winner.  I truly hope there is an injury, because if, as you suggest, he simply doesn't care anymore, that's an unreconcilable problem.

• Like 1

Maybe it is something physical. I don't see the same "attitude" or whatever it is - the same bad mistakes - from Giroux or TK or anyone else. Not like Couturier. So maybe it isn't some team-wide funk. It's strange Couturier would be playing through it in December..on a bottom-feeding team like the Flyers but I guess it's possible. ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I truly hope there is an injury, because if, as you suggest, he simply doesn't care anymore, that's an unreconcilable problem.

He wouldn't be the first guy to do that after getting his career-ending contract extension...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Could be he just doesn't GAF.

I don't blame him, he was probably up late the night before balancing his check book takes a long time to count all those zeros.

Guys paid now why should he GAF anymore he gets to enjoy the country club lifestyle the one he learned from his Captain....he has been here what 8 or 9 years as an under study.

:BrownBag:

Edited by OccamsRazor
bourbon isn't working
  • Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

I'm really not sure who they play if Yandle is in the press box. Also not sure that whoever it is would be better.

Injured York?  Inexperienced Zamula?   A traffic cone? 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guys paid now why should he GAF anymore he gets to enjoy the country club lifestyle the one he learned from his Captain...

I do wonder about this more and more.  I can see more and more guys playing to get the contract and then coasting.  I sound old but I think it's baked into society more now than it ever was.   At some point, it would be nice to make contracts based on current performance instead of past or possible.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

38 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Our AHL players were the only ones that knew how to score on an AHL goalie. Yeo should have used them in the skills contest!

Well they couldn't have done worse.

Our shootout % is embarrassing to say the least.