Game 24: Flyers at Devils; 12/8/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Wake me up, when the firesale starts. This team is dull, untalented, overpaid and lifeless. Other than that, they're great. The good news is, the guy after Yeo won a Stanley Cup in St. Louis. Maybe history repeats itself for the Flyers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am good with the trading Ghost since he was never going to be given a chance here anyways since they wanted him to play a way he didn't want to play.

For me this "deal," if you can call it that shows the ongoing problem with Flyers management and to a lesser extent the coaches: overvaluing...and then panicking.

The Flyers got all giddy in Gostisbehere's rookie year when he put put up all the points but after his knee surgery, when he didn't bounce back in 3 months they soured on him, Hakstol and AV both. First the inflated contract (Hextall?) then Fletcher dumps him by giving AZ a ridiculously sweet deal.

You don't upgrade by giving away the store. If you think a guy is overpriced you don't fkn dump him by bribing another team to take him, making them an offer they can't refuse. It's supposed to work the other way Fletch you get that yet? Evidently not.

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

For me this "deal," if you can call it that shows the ongoing problem with Flyers management and to a lesser extent the coaches: overvaluing...and then panicking.

The Flyers got all giddy in Gostisbehere's rookie year when he put put up all the points but after his knee surgery, when he didn't bounce back in 3 months they soured on him, Hakstol and AV both. First the inflated contract (Hextall?) then Fletcher dumps him by giving AZ a ridiculously sweet deal.

You don't upgrade by giving away the store. If you think a guy is overpriced you don't fkn dump him by bribing another team to take him, making them an offer they can't refuse. It's supposed to work the other way Fletch you get that yet? Evidently not.

Not let me pre face this comment as not my words but the Flyers front office's word can't remember if it was Chuckles or other dude I forget his name but the reason they posed was due to different need from their defensemen on and their offense.

They didn't want a cannon from the point they wanted a guy who can QB the power play and dish the puck around not just blast it.

Ghost they feel couldn't do that and that is why Ellis is here.

As I said not my words just their explanation. 

And in fact Ivan struggles to distribute the puck as well as Sanheim does too.

Ivan in my mind is more of a two way guy so it is to be expected a little.

Sanheim on the other hand was brought in for his offense whatever it be and that has slowly been completely squeezed out his game.

So we expected Travis to work on his game in his own end while also providing some offense. So he has been a very huge disappointment. Sanheim hasn't scored a regular season goal since April of last year.

Will he ever score again?

Not sure why all the D men have been labotomized but so has the whole team.

Clueless in Philly...

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Doesn't matter anyway...with these clowns running the team the ceiling is mediocrity.

The fans that care need to do what we can, to force Comcast to sell. Bring in new ownership, and get rid of the old guard. No way they leave Philly, really the third largest hockey market in the United States, behind only New York and Chicago.

-

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am good with the trading Ghost

I'm fine with the concept of trading Ghost.

I'm not fine with the return being, literally, nothing and including two draft picks - including a 2nd - to get it done.

But guys one the move will more likely be Brassard, Thompson, Yandle and Braun.

So if anything that could be 5 draft picks coming back this year.

Where? In the 4/5/6/7 range? That's not exactly "help"

I have never seen a team go so bad so quick as long as I have been watching hockey.

I would be surprised had I not seen them roll over and play dead to Buffalo - twice - last season.

That was my psychotic break with this organization* and Mr. Not All His Fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

This article sums things up nicely about how bad that was last night:

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/12/imperfect-ten-thoughts-after-devils-3-flyers-0.html

Dave "hockey guy" Scott made the call on Vigneault? That's just ridiculous, and indicative of the root level problems that face the organization*.

The time to fire the coach - which was the wrong call by the wrong guy at the wrong time - would have been after the Ranjerks' game with three days off before the back to back at home. That at least gives an interim coach some time to do something.

This organization* is pretty much moribund and hopeless at this point.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Stop going to the games or forking out cash to anything Flyer related...

Waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you on this one. I might go to a game if invited to a stocked corporate suite, and even then I'd be watching Jeopardy on the teevee in the back. Probably bring my Roku to catch up on Hawkeye.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, radoran said:

Where? In the 4/5/6/7 range? That's not exactly "help"

Yeah I said that the very next post.

And yeah sorry best you going to get.

Best you can hope for is Kimmo type find or a Oskar Lindblom type find.

But no worries the scouts are solid. Right.

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

Probably bring my Roku to catch up on Hawkeye.

where did I see this before?

The show is clever, Hailey Steinfeld is cute and has pretty good comedy chops.

Kevin Fiege has been hitting about .800 on these series -and even the not great ones are still entertaining.

There are worse ways to spend a couple of hours. 

Watching our hockey team is definitely one.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

where did I see this before?

Well, I thought I would stay in the spirit of the season...

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The show is clever, Hailey Steinfeld is cute and has pretty good comedy chops.

I am enjoying it. Also, too, that they are portraying them as real people (like, who get injured and stay injured).

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Kevin Fiege has been hitting about .800 on these series -and even the not great ones are still entertaining.

There are worse ways to spend a couple of hours. 

I've liked all of them, actually. It's why I bought Disney+ in the first place. I don't think I've watched anything by the Marvel stuff on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I supect we hit the 12 spot on losses. 

I do not like their chances in Vegas. And then Arizona awaits with the inevitable Ghost hat trick... Then it's the Jersey Jersey's again.

The "saving grace" may be Montreal and/or Ottawa. If they lose those, they've got Washington and Pittsburgh before heading to Seattle. If they are at 15 games at that point and don't come out of five days off looking significantly better than they do now, they may very well never win another game...

7 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I have near-zero faith in current management. 

Near zero? I'm hoping you mean because your hope is in the low negative numbers...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

This entire team stemming from ownership down are a bunch of beer league BOZO'S. that was absolutely pathetic. By the time they get any help for Hart he will be shell shocked and wore out like Toronto did to there goalies for years under the Ballard regime! Mike Palmateer, Felix Potvin just to name a few. This is the worst I have seen this team and have chosen not to watch them at this point. I can only scream at a TV for so long. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I supect we hit the 12 spot on losses.  The team plays dead.  We are an old squad.  I have near-zero faith in current management.  It ain't good.  

Well the good news is, if they do happen to fluke a victory they can start on a new 10 game losing streak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the problem.  With such a monumental collapse and things spiraling out of control, this is the perfect time to start the rebuilt. There won't be a better opportunity.  But in the words of late Ed Snider, "We don't know what the rebuild is".  How telling... Like I said before, tie goes by, ownership changes, GMs change, players change, but nothing really changes with this team.  I used to think they are ignorant.  But now I begin to suspect they actually *choose* to be mired in mediocrity.  And the only thing that can change that is if fans start boycotting games and the Flyers start losing revenue. 

Edited by Mad Dog

The only thing entertaining about Flyers games the last 2 months is how salty Taryn Hatcher is during the intermissions and post game. 

Last night between the 1st & 2nd she said this game “was riveting” and before the start of the second she said all she wanted was for the Flyers to complete “one tape to tape pass” 😂 

• Haha 1