Game 20: Flyers at Devils; 11/28/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

1 hour ago, albertaflyer said:

Pretty much every fan can tell the style of play they being asked to play does not fit this teams make up.  They could dump the puck into the offensive zone 10 times and maybe get possession 2 times. I will never understand having full possession of the puck and dumping it away hoping to get it back. Count how many times in the offensive zone the Flyers rim the puck but never get the back.

Is this really what they are being coached to do? And, if so, has that been what the past four coaches have been coaching them to do? Because they've been doing it a lot for a long time.

You are 100% correct that this is not a dump & chase league. It's a puck possession league and it is why they are having such a hard time. They get pinned in their own end and they give it up too easily in the offensive zone.

1 hour ago, albertaflyer said:

Not sure if a coaching change would do anything with this lineup but it's really all they can do right now.  It's hard to change the players during the season in a cap NHL. 

If AV is coaching them to dump & chase, then they need to bring in a coach with a puck possession focus. And they have to hold the players accountable.

If he's not coaching for that, he needs to hold the players accountable for bad actions.

Eleven of this team's skaters are signed for next season already and I'd add Giroux and Ristolainen to that mix (not what "I" would do, what I think they will do).

Eight of them are signed for the next three (plus) years with JVR, Lindbolm, and Sanheim being the other three.

This is pretty much the foundation the organization* has laid for the franchise for the near-to-medium term.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

They need to find a place to send Giroux, first and foremost, where he will agree to go. That sends a clear message to the rest of the team, that NO ONE is safe, and they need to perform. I'm sick of the revolving door of coaches. AV has his flaws, but he is far from their biggest problem. He can only play the cards he's dealt, but I would dismiss Therrien..as I've said before. Of course, yes, immediately.

You can't trade Giroux till the trade deadline. Your not going to get much this time of year. As far as firing an assistant coach not sure what that would accomplish. You have to clean house if your going to shake things up. 

18 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

AV has his flaws, but he is far from their biggest problem. He can only play the cards he's dealt

And the cards keep getting injured. He's effectively playing with a deck that's got an entire suit missing.

That's no small part of the problem they have this season, but it's also not the entire problem.

They are playing soft and playing scared. I'm seeing other teams with "less talent" that are playing hard-nosed hockey and punching above their weight. The Blue Jackets are in a playoff position rightnow. The Red Wings are a point out. The Buffalo freaking Sabres are a point behind the Flyers.

And there are teams that have weathered injury. The Pens have nine (of 21) games from Sidney Crosby and zero from Malkin. They're sitting on the 7th seed.

The Flyers have more goals this season than just six teams. And they are only four points out of a playoff spot, but they are going in the wrong direction and none of the teams in front of them have a losing record in their last 10 games.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

And the cards keep getting injured. He's effectively playing with a deck that's got an entire suit missing.

That's no small part of the problem they have this season, but it's also not the entire problem.

They are playing soft and playing scared. I'm seeing other teams with "less talent" that are playing hard-nosed hockey and punching above their weight. The Blue Jackets are in a playoff position rightnow. The Red Wings are a point out. The Buffalo freaking Sabres are a point behind the Flyers.

And there are teams that have weathered injury. The Pens have nine (of 21) games from Sidney Crosby and zero from Malkin. They're sitting on the 7th seed.

The Flyers have more goals this season than just six teams. And they are only four points out of a playoff spot, but they are going in the wrong direction and none of the teams in front of them have a losing record in their last 10 games.

So, there's hope.

• Like 1

My grandmother is dying (she's 97) and teen girl Mojo has breakthrough COVID because we live in Dumbassville, PA.

Needless to say, I have been busy with important ****. These scores aren't looking like, "well that one could have gone either way" though.

Are there any centers left in the organization?

It might not matter when guys get healthy. 

Something needs to happen with this team, clearly. 

These terrible sports results are the chipotle mayo on the shitburger that has been the past week. 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My grandmother is dying (she's 97) and teen girl Mojo has breakthrough COVID because we live in Dumbassville, PA.

Needless to say, I have been busy with important ****. These scores aren't looking like, "well that one could have gone either way" though.

These terrible sports results are the chipotle mayo on the shitburger that has been the past week. 

Dear Mojo:

I hope year-end has fewer rough edges.  It sounds like you have hands full.  Good Luck.

Sadly, I think part of the problems is limited reinforcements from the A.  Lehigh Valley is in the cellar.  As AV has noted in his pressers, the team is depleted systems-wide.  Frost may be the one top-six prospect; Willman and Bunnaman are what they are.  We are so cap constrained they "loaned" back to the LV--I assume that is a cap move.

So, as noted by some others, we are probably facing a lot of dung until our walking wounded reappear.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Sounds like your gramma lived a full life and probably left you some good genes.  Here's hoping your daughter recovers 100%!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Mojo, best wishes going forward. My thoughts are with you and your mojo family. Puts the dung heap that is Flyerville in perspective. 

• Thanks 1

teen girl Mojo has breakthrough COVID

Damn.  Sorry to hear.

2 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

we live in Dumbassville, PA.

Same here!   You must be on the other side of the crack.

3 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Can Kelce skate?

• Thanks 1

I'm truly sorry to hear this news ....my thoughts and  prayers for you and you family ....

• Thanks 1

I'm so sorry about your grandmother and your teenage girl, mojo.

• Thanks 1