Game 20: Flyers at Devils; 11/28/21 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Odds put the Flyers as mild favorites (bit of a surprise).  It looks like Hart versus Blackwood in net.

These teams have virtually identical records.  We've called up Max Willman, presumably to play for Nate Thompson, who has a shoulder separation.  The franchise is depleted at the A as well as the parent, with an "evaluation" coming.  About the only positive is Sam Morin skating:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/flyers-e2-80-99-injuries-e2-80-98snowballing-e2-80-99-after-nate-thompson-becomes-the-fourth-center-to-go-down/ar-AARctGd

I hope this is more watchable than our Carolina loss.

Edited by Howie58

24 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Jones in goal. No bounceback chance for Hart.

Probably doesn't matter at this point who's in net for the Flyers, not if they keep defending the way they did on that goal. Hamilton a big hulking defenseman stands all alone at the hash mark, stick on the ice waiting for the puck. All the time in the world...This is no sneaky little forward for chrissakes this is 6'6" 230 lbs Dougie Hamilton standing by himself in front of your goalie and ... NOTHING?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Blow it up. 

I don't know about "blow it up" but 6 in a row w/out a win it's getting close to "shake it up time." They were especially awful in the 3rd tonight giving up 3 straight goals.

Nice fight though - made the game worth watching almost. Decision MacEwen!

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

quit on the coaches

36 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Blow it up. 

There is just no heart.

The slightest bit of adversity and they fold the tents.

Couldn't even build on the Laughton shortie.

No player in Philadelphia history has remained so Teflon after achieving so little for so long as #captain Not All His Fault.

• Like 1

Injuries aren't insignificant, but the lack of compete and dumb turnovers aren't inspiring.  I don't know if this is coaching (I can't see why Therrien is still around) or limited talent?  JVR and Oskar aren't earning their keep.  Provo is worrying me.  Risto may be playing his way out of Philly at the year's end.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Injuries aren't insignificant, but the lack of compete and dumb turnovers aren't inspiring

The injuries play a role in where the team is in the standings but not in how they actually play on the ice.

Watch the Blue Jackets, Red Wings, or Sabres and you see a radically different definition of "hockey" from teams that arguably have significantly less talent on the ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I don't know about "blow it up" but 6 in a row w/out a win it's getting close to "shake it up time." They were especially awful in the 3rd tonight giving up 3 straight goals.

Nice fight though - made the game worth watching almost. Decision MacEwen!

MacEwen has character.  He may not contribute much scoring but the dude tries.  

• Like 1

I have always been a die hard Flyers fan but I find this year harder to watch than most. Pretty much every fan can tell the style of play they being asked to play does not fit this teams make up.  They could dump the puck into the offensive zone 10 times and maybe get possession 2 times. I will never understand having full possession of the puck and dumping it away hoping to get it back. Count how many times in the offensive zone the Flyers rim the puck but never get the back. It's a quick out. It hard enough to get the puck in the todays NHL not sure why you would want just throw into the corner.  Watch the good team's. Not to often they just dump the puck in. It's literally when there's no other play to be made or they have speedy enough forwards to beat the defenseman to the puck. Not sure if a coaching change would do anything with this lineup but it's really all they can do right now.  It's hard to change the players during the season in a cap NHL. 

• Like 1

They need to find a place to send Giroux, first and foremost, where he will agree to go. That sends a clear message to the rest of the team, that NO ONE is safe, and they need to perform. I'm sick of the revolving door of coaches. AV has his flaws, but he is far from their biggest problem. He can only play the cards he's dealt, but I would dismiss Therrien..as I've said before. Of course, yes, immediately.