Game 8: Flyers vs Coyotes 11/02/21 @ 7 PM

OccamsRazor

32 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

It won't accommodate a single player it will help the third and fourth line too, no harm in trying it for a few games.  It's not built around a prediction, it's well documented that Brassard is a marginal player and has no business on the second line and Laughton is not good at center....as far as predictions,  I think you will get your wish Allison is skating and I am sure he will be replacing NAK.

Sure, I see the logic of that. I don't think Brassard is "marginal," he's just old. Experience is good, and he makes smart plays all the time at both ends of the ice. But yeah.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Sure, I see the logic of that. I don't think Brassard is "marginal," he's just old. Experience is good, and he makes smart plays all the time at both ends of the ice. But yeah.

Brassard is fine for centering the 4th line or third line wing,but he does not have the offensive skill for the second line...time will tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

It won't accommodate a single player it will help the third and fourth line too, no harm in trying it for a few games.  It's not built around a prediction, it's well documented that Brassard is a marginal player and has no business on the second line and Laughton is not good at center....as far as predictions,  I think you will get your wish Allison is skating and I am sure he will be replacing NAK.

its an assumption that it will help the other lines. It has as much chance to screw the entire thing up as it does makes it better. The coaches prolly think so to, becasue they arent doing it. As for Brassard, he isn't playing marginal at the moment and looks pretty damn good where he is. So whatever documentation is out there, it isn't relevant in the present.

46 minutes ago, CoachX said:

its an assumption that it will help the other lines. It has as much chance to screw the entire thing up as it does makes it better. The coaches prolly think so to, becasue they arent doing it. As for Brassard, he isn't playing marginal at the moment and looks pretty damn good where he is. So whatever documentation is out there, it isn't relevant in the present.

Brassard is playing good, yes …but he is very far from a second line player and a center with more speed and  offensive skill would make the second line even better. It is  also an assumption that moving players around will screw things up. How is moving a couple of guys to different lines for a couple of games  going to screw things up? If they decide to do that , they would do it  at practice and see how the players gel with each other . After a game or two if it didn’t help they would switch back. There is not some sort of magical jinx that will take place by moving guys around. Fred Shero and other coaches did it all the time and it worked. Nothing ventured , nothing gained.  You cannot succeed in the long run without having three good centers, right now we have one and when Hayes comes back that’s two ,but Hayes is really a third line center. Think of it this way, we are so weak at center that if Coots went down, our top centers would be Hayes and Brassard, we have no depth . What do you think Vigneault would do if Coots got hurt? He would immediately move G to center … So moving G to center now will make us a better team.

Edited by RonJeremy

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Brassard is playing good, yes …but he is very far from a second line player

right now he IS a second line player, and doing well at that position. Are you saying G is the only guy on the team who is good enough to be the 2c?

a center with more speed and  offensive skill would make the second line even better

probably. but an assumption

It is  also an assumption that moving players around will screw things up

Agreed!

How is moving a couple of guys to different lines for a couple of games  going to screw things up?

chemistry. plus breaking up a productive line just to help Lindblom out can cause hard feelings. the Flyers have had enough of that over the past few seasons. What has Oscar done to deserve this? Being good a few seasons ago doesn't qualify in my books. JVR was good once

You cannot succeed in the long run without having three good centers, right now we have one and when Hayes comes back that’s two ,but Hayes is really a third line center

you just answered my earlier question about G at 2C. According to this statement, Coots is our only good center

What do you think Vigneault would do if Coots got hurt? He would immediately move G to center

What would he do if Hart got hurt? He'd play Martin Jones

So moving G to center now will make us a better team

assumption

BTW, for all we know AV has tried different combos in practice. I'll trust him and his staff when it comes to this

Edited by CoachX

AV called back during commercial break. He said he knew it was a matter of time before Laughton broke out  that he's a clear 3c, likes what he brings,  and we should be good in two years.

Trust the process

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

right now he IS a second line player, and doing well at that position. Are you saying G is the only guy on the team who is good enough to be the 2c?

probably. but an assumption

Agreed!

chemistry. plus breaking up a productive line just to help Lindblom out can cause hard feelings. the Flyers have had enough of that over the past few seasons. What has Oscar done to deserve this? Being good a few seasons ago doesn't qualify in my books. JVR was good once

you just answered my earlier question about G at 2C. According to this statement, Coots is our only good center

What would he do if Hart got hurt? He'd play Martin Jones

assumption

BTW, for all we know AV has tried different combos in practice. I'll trust him and his staff when it comes to this

Right now G is the only guy who can step in as a second line center based on the fact that he has played center for many years  before he was moved to wing. I believe TK played some center in junior but not at the pro level. So as of now, yes G is the only guy who can step in at center until Frost is ready. Brassards success is a  residual product of his line mates skill. It’s like if you went out to a club with Pitt and Clooney just based on their leftovers you would be considered a top notch dick slinger, even though you are not in their league. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

It’s like if you went out to a club with Pitt and Clooney just based on their leftovers you would be considered a top notch dick slinger, even though you are not in their league.

Pitt and Clooney would be lucky to pick up my throwaways. I'm a real looker....and a Flyers fan!

3 hours ago, CoachX said:

Pitt and Clooney would be lucky to pick up my throwaways. I'm a real looker....and a Flyers fan!

Lol,  I have to force.myself on women even my flow performers. As you may have heard Ron Jeremy is still in jail.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Haha 1

Sounds like AV is looking towards Hayes coming back in the next week or so as the "solution" to the second line C issue.

Hopefully Hayes is ready to go. That said, at best Hayes has shown to be barely a 50-point player so far in his career - he's been a .57 ppg player for the Flyers (projects to ~47 points over 82 games).

Farabee/Atkinson look to be among the top linemates he will have had, so there's that.

They need something because this has become a one line team again over the past few games. Even Meltzer is starting to say so.

Brassard had a good start to the season, but is just not cut out for the role at this point in his career. One hopes that he'll be more effective than Laughton as the 3C, but the lack of depth at center is starting to bite them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

Sounds like AV is looking towards Hayes coming back in the next week or so as the "solution" to the second line C issue.

Hopefully Hayes is ready to go. That said, at best Hayes has shown to be barely a 50-point player so far in his career - he's been a .57 ppg player for the Flyers (projects to ~47 points over 82 games).

Farabee/Atkinson look to be among the top linemates he will have had, so there's that.

They need something because this has become a one line team again over the past few games. Even Meltzer is starting to say so.

Brassard had a good start to the season, but is just not cut out for the role at this point in his career. One hopes that he'll be more effective than Laughton as the 3C, but the lack of depth at center is starting to bite them.

I'm not looking at the cap so not sure they would even need to do the Ellis part of this, but can the Flyers retro LITR Ellis or something and bring up Frost?   Just to see what he can do for the next week or two in between Farabee and Atkinson?  Or just switch TK and Atkinson or Giroux and Farabee briefly to see if that helps?

It IS a one-line team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

They can bring up Frost now.

SPOILER: They're not going to bring up Frost any more than they're going to play Giroux at 2C...

Exactly, problem solved for now. G moves to second line center, Hayes goes to third line center where he actually belongs,Brassard centers the fourth line and Laughton goes to 4th line LW where he is more effective. Then sometime in Feb, you hope Frost is ready and then we can put him at center and move G back to wing….

4 hours ago, radoran said:

They can bring up Frost now.

SPOILER: They're not going to bring up Frost any more than they're going to play Giroux at 2C...

I tend to agree, but that's more obstinance on the part of the Flyers (he's had a pretty good start in Lehigh) than Giroux's case where the player doesn't wanna.    I kind of want him to stay in Lehigh for now and light up before coming up to Philly, but Brassard has already shot his bullets.   I think if it's only a week or so, just stay the course until Hayes returns.

• Like 1