Game 5: Flyers at Oilers; 10/27/21 @ 10, TNT

Howie58

Greetings:

We are heavy underdogs against the unbeaten Oilers:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-edmonton-odds-october-27-2021-1470301

Ellis is out of the lineup.  It looks like Hart versus Koskinen (2.03 GAA) between the pipes.  We've played well against the West of late (7-1), but with a different lineup.  

Edited by Howie58

32 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Coach X:

I didn't see specifics. It was supposedly one game, now a second.

I heard on the local news this morning, day-to-day with the proverbial UBI!  Why can't we have nice things?

• Like 1

Good Morning:

I seem to recall that one of the few negatives about Ellis was injury-proneness.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2021/7/20/22575515/the-ryan-ellis-trade-has-a-new-wrinkle-philadelphia-flyers-nashville-predators-hand-injury-offseason

This may be overstated.  Maybe not?  We will see.

Edited by Howie58

I would say he is injury prone the guy plays a physical brand of hockey and well it is a physical sport.

But i understand if others say he is...injuries happen and it isn't like he has been out a lot for soft tissue injuries...that type of stuff is usually preventable.

But what i do know is swapping Ellis for Braun is about as low as a down grade as you can get.

So a lot is riding on the goaltending to hold down the fort. They can not afford to give up 7 power plays to this squad.

I expect Hart to play tonight in front of his home town crowd and Jones to play in front of his home town crowd vs the Canucks.

Stay out the damn box.....i'm looking at you NAK!!!!! Oh yeah how about showing us some damn offense too.

:PopcornSmiley2:

36 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Stay out the damn box.....i'm looking at you NAK!!!!! Oh yeah how about showing us some damn offense too.

I've read two pieces that say NAK is vulnerable to replacement from either the newbies or other, including Allison if he recovers.  I don't think the Coach will tolerate his play for long.  It hurts the squad. 

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

I've read two pieces that say NAK is vulnerable to replacement from either the newbies or other, including Allison if he recovers.  I don't think the Coach will tolerate his play for long.  It hurts the squad. 

Now before i say this i have no proof it is just my opinion but NAK is French Canadian and so is the coach and in my opinion the only reason he has gotten so much rope to hang himself.

But yes i would be fine with someone else taking his place...you have to ice the best team and well he hasn't been good since the year it all fell apart before covid.

I like his physical game but he has to stop taking bad penalties if he wants to stay in the lineup and i haven't seen progress in that yet.

So yeah....sit him. Allison isn't healthy right now but when/if he does i expect them to try and put the best team they can on the ice and that requires to not play favorites.

I believe in holding everyone accountable regardless of star status and pay. The best 21 guys need to suited up come game time.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

That's pretty much the golden rule when playing against the Oilers. It's the best power play I've ever seen. In their game against Vegas, the Oilers struggled for about the first 10 minutes of play. Got a power-play, scored with ease, and it completely changed the flow of the game in their favour. From that point on, until about the last 5 minutes in the 3rd, the scoring chances were 21-4 in favour of Edmonton.

Edited by JR Ewing

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Now before i say this i have no proof it is just my opinion but NAK is French Canadian and so is the coach and in my opinion the only reason he has gotten so much rope to hang himself.

I mean... this seems an awful stretch, but okay. 🍺

I don't think NAK has gotten any more rope than others on the team. He's not showing up prominently on the ice. He's not in the top six. He's part of a bottom old school energy line. The expectations for him aren't great. He just needs to make life hard for opposing lines for a shift now and again, so that players better than him can hop on fresh and work their magic. In that role, he's probably as good as really anyone else we have right now. 

Put another way, any games we lose are really not because of NAK. It's because either the players expected to anchor the team didn't show up, or they did and just got awful luck, or the other team is just flat out better than ours. NAK has never been the kind of guy who impacts the outcome of a game in any great way.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

It's the best power play I've ever seen.

Oh great that is encouraging and yes enforces my request even more.

And Braun on the top D pair is scary as hell. The Flyers PK has seemed to have gotten better but still need so much more work.

Hopefully they don't fall behind early. If so it could get ugly fast....

:beer:

37 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I mean... this seems an awful stretch

Possibly....but i feel so.

After watching him take a lot on bone headed penalties i can't help but think otherwise.

39 minutes ago, elmatus said:

He's not in the top six. He's part of a bottom old school energy line.

Sure but his last goal was April 8th. And all he has chalked up in the stat column is minuses.

-4 so far in only 4 games. And that all WITHOUT providing any energy.

40 minutes ago, elmatus said:

He just needs to make life hard for opposing lines for a shift now and again

We're waiting....penalties drawn per 60 NAK - 3.01.

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

thats a bit harsh, isnt it?

I'm guess you are trying to be cute. I know he is your favorite and all i just want him to play better.

They need all the help they can get and staying out of the box and playing with discipline and keeping sticks down is all part of it.

And if he can't then thay need to find someone who can.

50 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Put another way, any games we lose are really not because of NAK.

Of course no team is going to lose from one dumbass he is just one of a few. Cut it the f**k out is all i am saying.

If you lose then you lose but don't help the other team out good lawd we already know it seems the refs call them for everything well don't help them out.

And that goes for everyone just for example that stupid kneeing penalty he took away from the play isn't necessary. Play smart.

Carry on.

:hocky:

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm guess you are trying to be cute. I know he is your favorite and all i just want him to play better.

Ha, who's trying to be cute?

No, NAK is not and has never been a favourite of mine. I just don't think what he does or doesn't do matters all that much in the grand scheme of things. I certainly wish he were a better player, as that would clearly make the team better, but he's never been much more than what he currently is. He's playing a lesser role on an NHL team, and I'm guessing he's doing it just as well as anyone else we have available to play in that role. 

It's just a hard thing to measure really... I mean, it's easy enough to say we want Giroux to get say 90pts. It may or may not happen, but him doing that would be a huge boon to the team, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would do that. He has the skill and history to back it up. It's fair to ask for more from the TKs and Farabees of the world, as they're stars on the rise who seem to have another gear they might be able to tap into. It's fair to be frustrated with Hart and his annoying gaffes, or Sanheim for being too weak on the puck at times. Those are all guys who could conceivably be better, and them doing so would quite possibly have a significant impact on the team's fortunes.

What NAK does or doesn't do by comparison is... not super important really. There are no great expectations for him, and that's for a good reason. He's a 4th line NHLer very similar to a vast majority of others. Again, I certainly wish he were more than that, but he's really just as average as anyone else playing that same role. It just feels a bit nitpicky to me.

Maybe it's a question of our top two lines actually playing some decent hockey, so we feel compelled to keep reaching for a new whipping boy? If so, I would direct your attention to a certain frankenstein on the back end as a starting point...

Edited by elmatus

Just now, elmatus said:

Ha, who's trying to be cute?

That was towards @CoachX not you. Re read that.

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

I just don't think what he does or doesn't do matters all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree.

I don't know how you can preach discipline to the team and then have a guy who plays 10-12 minutes a night keep shooting the team in the foot he did it last year and has started off this year the same way.

You can't just call out the top 6 forwards and not the rest. And he isn't alone Thompson has taken some stupid ones too.

5 minutes ago, elmatus said:

There are no great expectations for him

Again i disagree. The expectations at least from me is go out play your role and don't hurt the team by ending up in the box.

And well he hasn't done that. And will he i can't say the great team don't have their bottom 6 guys forcing them to kill penalties when they shouldn't have too.

The refs already have a target on his back don't help them any further.

:beer:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That was towards @CoachX not you.

Ah, fair enough. My bad. 🍻

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Again i disagree. The expectations at least from me is go out play your role and don't hurt the team by ending up in the box.

And well he hasn't done that. And will he i can't say the great team don't have their bottom 6 guys forcing them to kill penalties when they shouldn't have too.

I agree with this for sure. Those are not big expectations, and absolutely it should be a minimum. Part of his penalties of course is that he's been told part of what he does well is hit people, and like so many others, he's just not good at doing that without getting the stick for it. Again, we're hitting on the physicality without smarts problem, and I agree completely on that. Give me more of the smart physical guys and not just the guys who like to hit things whenever possible.

• Like 1

I hate having to stay up this late to watch this game. I hope it is worth it.

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
86 Joel Farabee - 19 Derick Brassard - 89 Cam Atkinson
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 25 James van Riemsdyk
62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel - 44 Nate Thompson - 17 Zack MacEwen

9 Ivan Provorov - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 70 Rasmus Ristolainen
3 Keith Yandle - 24 Nick Seeler

79 Carter Hart
[35 Martin Jones]

OILERS

18 Zach Hyman - 97 Connor McDavid - 13 Jesse Puljujärvi
93 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 29 Leon Draisaitl - 56 Kailer Yamamoto
37 Warren Foegele - 10 Derek Ryan - 44 Zack Kassian
42 Brendan Perlini - 14 Devin Shore - 8 Kyle Turris

25 Darnell Nurse - 75 Evan Bouchard
2 Duncan Keith - 5 Cody Ceci
20 Slater Koekkoek - 22 Tyson Barrie

19 Mikko Koskinen
[74 Stuart Skinner]

Happy 27th birthday Risto please have a great game to celebrate!!!

• Like 1

Well this sucks....why can't the Flyers have nice things.....

The hip/groin injury nagging Flyers defenseman Ryan Ellis seems like it’s becoming more than a day-to-day thing.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/phantoms-flyers/mc-spt-flyers-fish-notes-tuesday-20211026-nfietuswqzfejojur4fwcubg44-story.html

:rage:

Been a couple years since Hart got pulled in Edmonton, hometown jitters whatever. He should have a great game tonight. He'll have to - Edmonton is averaging 4.6 goals/game (2nd in the NHL behind St. Louis with 5.0 G/G).

The Flyers are right behind them though - 4.5 goals per game, tied for 3rd with FLA.