So it’s Martin Jones against the Bruins tomorrow

Samifan

12 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I mean. I get the dislike based on his questionable body of work, but he hasn't played a game yet here. Probably best to save some vitriol for the aftermath.

well, if by "questionable body of work" you mean "hasn't had a .900+ SV%" and "has a 3.04 GAA" since 2018 then, yes :thumbsu:

(also, too, he didn't exactly have a preseason that was encouraging...)

I get "needing to get him some work" but I still would have run Hart out there until Vancouver (unless he implodes). Not my call, though, obviously:lol:

If nothing else, it looks like they will have the actual defense they envisioned going into the season with Ristolainen coming back.

I anticipate being happy to see Braun getting bottom pair minutes...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I anticipate being happy to see Braun getting bottom pair minutes..

That's offensive juggernaut, Justin "the Brauner" Braun to you bucco.

I think I would keep calling Hart's number too, I actually think Hart will see more shots vs the Panthers, they're kind of scary so far this year.

I also think saving the Broons until Cahtah is in a more of a groove might not be such a bad idea either. They did  a number on him mentally between the 3back door PP goals here and then the debacle by the lake in Tahoe. Maybe just let the young fella towel rack and smack talk on Wednesday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

I mean. I get the dislike based on his questionable body of work, but he hasn't played a game yet here. Probably best to save some vitriol for the aftermath.

Now that Voracek is gone I need a new whipping boy and based on his performance the past few years and this pre-season, I’m starting with Jones.

I will gladly eat crow if he proves me wrong🤞

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Samifan said:

Gonna say he doesn’t last past 1st period. I’m also penciling in a regulation loss right now.

Only positive is that I should get to see Hart play in person Saturday against the Panthers.

Sometimes you just have to walk away....

:PopcornSmiley2:

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

They did  a number on him mentally between the 3back door PP goals here and then the debacle by the lake in Tahoe.

Jones' last staht against da Broons?

Five goals, .878 SV%, 5-1 loss

And, yes, that was about two years ago :PopcornSmiley2:

• Like 1

So i am expecting...

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
86 Joel Farabee - 19 Derick Brassard - 89 Cam Atkinson
23 Oskar Lindblom - 21 Scott Laughton - 25 James van Riemsdyk
15 Zack MacEwen - 44 Nate Thompson -62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 94 Ryan Ellis
6 Travis Sanheim - 70 Rasmus Ristolainen
3 Keith Yandle - 61 Justin Braun

35 Martin Jones

79 Carter Hart

Why not. Maybe some fireworks. Will see if improvements have been made.

But this is a game where the 2nd line gets exposed. We'll see.

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Gonna say he doesn’t last past 1st period. I’m also penciling in a regulation loss right now.

Only positive is that I should get to see Hart play in person Saturday against the Panthers.

Bwahahaha. I'm so glad Jones is no longer a shark.

• Like 1

The defense needs to do everything they can from allowing Boston to have open looks, where they can shoot at M. Jones right hand. Otherwise, this will be a long night for the Orange and Black.

Edited by FD19372

One way of looking at this is the following.  If the guy shows sustained incompetence early on, I suspect possible waiver.  They can't afford to run Hart into the ground.  Fletcher and Flahr aren't idiots.  If save percentage is below .900 and GAA is considerably worse than Hart, they will save on cap and see if a farmhand is an upgrade on Lyon.  That is one dude's opinion.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Seriously, why? And why this soon?

Oh, are we afraid we will wear out a professional 23 year old?

Again, I would have played him for the first time in Vancouver - a week from tomorrow.

Coaches tend to frown on letting goalies sit for weeks.  In my scenario, that would be 20 days between starts.

Flyers have three road B2Bs before the end of November - all of them pretty difficult either in terms of competition or distance (EDM to VAN, CAR to DAL, TAM/FLA).

I'm going to guess Jones comes out of the first 21 games with at least five starts at this point.  If that translates into 60/2 games for Hart and 20/2 for Jones/backup over the course of the season, that's not terrible from where I sit.

Pending how both of them actually play, of course.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

Again, I would have played him for the first time in Vancouver - a week from tomorrow.

Coaches tend to frown on letting goalies sit for weeks.  In my scenario, that would be 20 days between starts.

Flyers have three road B2Bs before the end of November - all of them pretty difficult either in terms of competition or distance (EDM to VAN, CAR to DAL, TAM/FLA).

I'm going to guess Jones comes out of the first 21 games with at least five starts at this point.  If that translates into 60/2 games for Hart and 20/2 for Jones/backup over the course of the season, that's not terrible from where I sit.

Pending how both of them actually play, of course.

Well i hope Jones plays well because if he struggles and they need to recall Sandsrom he will require waivers to be sent back down to the Phantoms.

Unless they would rather recall Ersson since he wouldn't require waivers to be sent back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well i hope Jones plays well because if he struggles and they need to recall Sandsrom he will require waivers to be sent back down to the Phantoms.

capfriendly shows Sandstrom as still waiver exempt.

I'm not so sure the organization would see an untested 24yo AHL callup as a sufficient replacement as a backup goalie for a team with playoff aspirations.

From where I sit, team "depth" at the G position isn't.

I'm pretty sure that unless Jones is an absolute tire fire in a dumpster floating down Broad Street in a tsunami they're going to roll with him.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

capfriendly shows Sandstrom as still waiver exempt.

Ok well that is good news this is his last year it's 4 years (which this is his first off the ELC) or 55 games...so that is a relief i would like to see if he is ready to replace Jones next season.

So a great year for the Phantoms will show is more.

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm not so sure the organization would see an untested 24yo AHL callup as a sufficient replacement as a backup goalie for a team with playoff aspirations.

Well if Jones struggles then they don't have many other options with the lack of cap space.

Sure i know they have some now but will need that when Hayes is ready to play.

Kid needs to be ready he will be 25 this year and time to know more about him.

But maybe Jones is ready to hold down the backup spot. We'll know more tonight.