Game 55: Flyers at Capitals; 5/8/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Greetings:

Despite last night's win, the O and B are heavy underdogs:

https://sportschatplace.com/nhl-picks/2021/05/08/washington-capitals-vs-philadelphia-flyers-nhl-picks-odds-predictions

We have another test of Flyers consistency.  And we get to see some good young players in Allison and York.

Edited by Howie58

This was a sad loss.  I felt badly for Lyon, who played well.  I was bothered by the reality that we had a tough time going up against a B-squad depleted by injuries.  

Laughton was awake. But he was the only person I noticed.  Our PP was deplorable--lucky not to give up a shortie.  In general, most of our shots were peripheral. 

Yep, CF has his hands full.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Looks like a nasty collision between NAK and Wilson. NAK going for the check and knees smack.

You reap what you sow. Thanks NAK and the Flyers! Just for that moment I hope you would have won the game.

• Like 2

@radoran

Here is your chance? Do the Flyers pounce?

John Tortorella informs Blue Jackets he won’t return next season

It might make it easier to land Savard.

Or Jones if they wanted to go hard after him.

I am not saying you have to fire AV.

But with rumors swirling last week that maybe it could happen he is the tough love this team needs.

• Like 1

Would love to see Torts nail Voracek’s ass to the bench after a stupid turnover or lazy back check!!!

”jake has had zero shifts this period” 😂 

Edited by Samifan
  • Thanks 1

Greetings:

I have never thought of Tortorella or AV as "developmental" for a younger squad.  Would Torts enforce accountability more than AV? Maybe.  If you think the next season or two will bring an infusion of younger players, neither might be so so good.  That said, we'd go from Martini-drinking smooth talker (to reporters and media) to a hard-nosed dude who has contempt for the press.  The question on that score is whether the front office feels better with more or less scrutiny. We may want more--which you'd have with Torts.  AV's skills with the media deflect attention away from the front office.  He is both candid and wise-ass.  

Edited by Howie58

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

@radoran

Here is your chance? Do the Flyers pounce?

John Tortorella informs Blue Jackets he won’t return next season

It might make it easier to land Savard.

Or Jones if they wanted to go hard after him.

I am not saying you have to fire AV.

But with rumors swirling last week that maybe it could happen he is the tough love this team needs.

I know you're not asking me.

I don't think Torts gets more out of this roster than AV has.

I think zero practice time and playing good teams that exploit the same weaknesses you can't correct without practice helped make this year the horror show it was.

I like Fonzie from a distance. 

He's cooled out on blasting the press, I'd love to see him run roughshod over the Flyers beat reporter regulars.  That would be super fun.

My hope is Therrien gets one of the open jobs (or fired but i'm not trying to put out more negativity than necessary) and someone else comes in and makes some chicken salad with the special teams.

I would like some sort of shake up with the roster and the coaches. 

I don't think AV was the problem.

What are your thoughts on Tocchet though?

Edited by mojo1917
Added bit about Tocchet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I have never thought of Tortorella or AV as "developmental" for a younger squad.  Would Torts enforce accountability more than AV? Maybe.  If you think the next season or two will bring an infusion of younger players, neither might be so so good.  That said, we'd go from Martini-drinking smooth talker (to reporters and media) to a hard-nosed dude who has contempt for the press.  The question on that score is whether the front office feels better with more or less scrutiny. We may want more--which you'd have with Torts.  AV's skills with the media deflect attention away from the front office.  He is both candid and wise-ass.  

i dont think they are any different, they are both hold players accountabile, they bench players and like columbus and us players dont want to play for them. it seems like we are just swapping the same type of coach and like i said, firing coaches isnt going to solve this problem unless we get rid of players and bring in players that want to win, that's just the hard reality of what this team is right now.

what i saw from this team is just a soft team all around, besides morin the rest of the d cant freaking hit a beach ball. our forwards besides allison and laughton lack grit, get hit around and loose picks easily causes more odd man rushes. the team that hextall drafted is just a soft team.

i dont know maybe they can bring in torts and rick tocchet as assistants.

Edited by tucson83

25 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't think AV was the problem

Me either. If Jake gets shipped out and JVR claimed by Seattle I would be happy.

I would be ok axing his assistants at least  MT has to go if he wants to keep Yeo.

27 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

What are your thoughts on Tocchet though?

I threw his name out the other day when the subject of firing AV was broached.

I said something like this "I guess if they were to do it what else can we do but who would be his replacement?"

And I made a short list.

1-Rick Tocchet

2- Gerard Gallant

I said Torts interested me too but didn't think he would be available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Me either. If Jake gets shipped out and JVR claimed by Seattle I would be happy.

I would be ok axing his assistants at least  MT has to go if he wants to keep Yeo.

I threw his name out the other day when the subject of firing AV was broached.

I said something like this "I guess if they were to do it what else can we do but who would be his replacement?"

And I made a short list.

1-Rick Tocchet

2- Gerard Gallant

I said Torts interested me too but didn't think he would be available.

i dont know i feel like they only have a plan in place with av and fletch when it comes to this roster turnover, like does firing av and bringing in torts put a wrench in this because torts might have a different plan?

3 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

i dont know i feel like they only have a plan in place with av and fletch when it comes to this roster turnover, like does firing av and bringing in torts put a wrench in this because torts might have a different plan?

We'll see i am not even going to try and venture why they could be planning....

:workout:

I don't think a coaching change really helps because the players are the core issue.  That said, I think AV is on a fairly short leash. Another year without playoffs and I suspect he's history.  

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I know you're not asking me.

I don't think Torts gets more out of this roster than AV has.

To be fair he's really not asking me, either. My thing was/is IF they fire AV then they should bring in Torts and just burn the whole thing to the ground.

And you'd have to have "Ride of the Valkyrie" as the theme song for the season.

Real "End of Days" proto-Apocalyptic theme.

Fade to Black.

*scene*

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, radoran said:

To be fair he's really not asking me, either. My thing was/is IF they fire AV then they should bring in Torts and just burn the whole thing to the ground.

And you'd have to have "Ride of the Valkyrie" as the theme song for the season.

Real "End of Days" proto-Apocalyptic theme.

Fade to Black.

*scene*

i dont think it's a question that they have to burn the whole thing to the ground if they bring in torts because these current players are so soft they are tuning out av, they wont listen to torts either. i think it's a lose/lose situation for both of these coaches actually.

1 hour ago, tucson83 said:

i dont think it's a question that they have to burn the whole thing to the ground if they bring in torts because these current players are so soft they are tuning out av, they wont listen to torts either.

True but Torts would staple some asses to the bench.

robert duvall GIF

All in all, they're just some vet D and a 2C away from seriously competing. Or something.

Again.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, radoran said:

True but Torts would staple some asses to the bench.

And this is what we want. And AV has done this unfortunately he did only to the kids.

Not the "your best players need to be your best players" group.

It is like (a terrible analogy is coming) in Star Trek (the old Captain Kirk ones) when we wanted to see a real star get murdered, it never happened.

It was always yeoman Steve the dude who beamed down with them who you had never seen before that you know he ain't never beaming up... 

..would this help?? You never know...but it seems like what they were doing with the current cast wasn't working.